Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    cos i was just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    yes in general i think you are.

well, youre born with the ABILITY to BE smart. but that doesnt mean you WILL be smart, of course

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a complicted balance of nature and nurture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I totally, whole-heartedly believe that intelligence is to a large degree, genetic. I am one with the 'low intelligence' gene, and this is say because i find myself working twice as hard as my friends but yet still getting results that are equal or weaker.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon its quite a lot to do with nurture aswell. My mum started teaching me to read and write at a really young age - well before I went to school and as a result I was quite apt at learning. I was moved up a year all through primary school so she must have done something right :p:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Besides, in any case scenario, theres always someone who breaks the mould.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Everybody is born smart and then gets stupider and stupider as they progress through high school. Or so it seems, anyway. And, of course, depending on your definition of "smart".

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

I was taught to read and write at a young age, my parents always gave me opportunities to learn etc and I've not turned out so badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nofer)
    I totally, whole-heartedly believe that intelligence is to a large degree, genetic. I am one with the 'low intelligence' gene, and this is say because i find myself working twice as hard as my friends but yet still getting results that are equal or weaker.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nofer)
    crouch end eh? you go to aloysius? or the private place at the top of highgate hill? and those gcses are pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    its about school education as well, like in hong kong, the teaching is so much more intense than that of the UK's. Like my father's friend who is from HK; when he was 13 the level of maths he did was the same stuff as our AS, e.g. integration.

ReputationRep:
    No but you are born beautiful

ReputationRep:
    thus private schools have better results, like 'kikzen' suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nofer)
    Partly true that its genetic but isnt it also about perception-- the way you think and view things and thats partly down to nurturing. Psychology plays a role. For example, the WAY a person would think of a maths problem is just as important as to solving the problem itself. Its not just about being smart. Dont they say great minds think alike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Not really, Some real ugly babies can turn into supermodels, and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    *Thinks back to biology* I think the latest theory is that everyone is born with an alotted maximum intelligence, but no-one ever reaches their maximum intelligence - some people just come closer to it than others. (So yeah, nature and nurture mixed together).

Of course. Everybody is born smart and then gets stupider and stupider as they progress through high school. Or so it seems, anyway.
    I'd agree with that too. I used to be soooo much better at .. well, everything.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your definition of the word 'smart'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    But you could always buy beauty....

ReputationRep:
    I would say, with the proper nuture, intelligence is simple to acquire. The nature, the genes, only have a part to play on how much nurture is required. The only exception being real Geniuses, I would say they have to be born with their abilities.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.