The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello I'm new to these forums.

:wavey:
Reply 21
i reckon a person is born intelligent, but whether or not they actually achieve anything owes more to the way they are brought up, the way they are educated, and whether or not they are motivated to succeed academically.
mdm708
*Thinks back to biology* I think the latest theory is that everyone is born with an alotted maximum intelligence, but no-one ever reaches their maximum intelligence - some people just come closer to it than others. (So yeah, nature and nurture mixed together).

I'd agree with that too. I used to be soooo much better at .. well, everything.

that seems the most likely explaination IMO.
To be honest, I don't think the naked look is very smart so no, you're not smart when you're born. I think you need to put some clothes on to look smart.
SamTheMan
To be honest, I don't think the naked look is very smart so no, you're not smart when you're born. I think you need to put some clothes on to look smart.

:rofl:

also when your born, you tend to just lie down and cry a lot... not very smart to me. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
I think you can train your brain to understand things better. I don't get why it takes some people ages to understand things; they're just lazy in my opinion.

For example at uni my bf did much more work than me, I didn't work at all, and we got the same grade, so he must not have been doing work as effectively as me, seeing as we're both of equal intelligence.
Reply 26
saiyamana
:rofl:

also when your born, you tend to just lie down and cry a lot... not very smart to me. :rolleyes:

You haven't realised that crying still gets you your own way :wink:
Reply 27
Lauren
You haven't realised that crying still gets you your own way :wink:

you sound like quite the expert in this field. have a few well placed tears opened up doorways in your life? :wink:
Reply 28
Nofer
I totally, whole-heartedly believe that intelligence is to a large degree, genetic. I am one with the 'low intelligence' gene, and this is say because i find myself working twice as hard as my friends but yet still getting results that are equal or weaker.

Same here :frown:
Reply 29
Ahhh that old nature/nurture chesnut! :biggrin:
Question 2::

Why do babies cry extremely loudly (and annoyingly I might add), but when they grow up until adults they seem to have a muted cry. Generally, of course.
Reply 31
shame.
Reply 32
silent p......?
Not really, Some real ugly babies can turn into supermodels, and vice versa.

What, supermodels turn into ugly babies? How interesting.
Reply 33
hehe "dan"...you're mental..hehe "ugly babies turn into supermodels and vice versa" hehee

As for this thread. I'd say intelligence is based on 1) genetics 2) environment.

So to a certain extent yes you are born smart.
Reply 34
ryan342
What, supermodels turn into ugly babies? How interesting.

More along the lines of cute baby 1975 turning into an ugly adult.
Reply 35
BellaCat
Depends on your definition of the word 'smart'...

thats very true

also,we only use a very small percentage of brain capacity.imagine what we could do if we unlocked the rest? :smile:
yo-less
thats very true

also,we only use a very small percentage of brain capacity.imagine what we could do if we unlocked the rest? :smile:

yep, but who has the key? :rolleyes:
Reply 37
The correct answer was "no gossip girl YOU were not born smart"

end of.
Reply 38
harsh.
Reply 39
saiyamana
yep, but who has the key? :rolleyes:

me, i'll set it to you for a good price :cool:

Latest

Trending