The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hmmm.........how exactly do you define smart?

I always thought that people who can fight well are really smart, as are people with MBBS degrees, survival skills, creativity and so on...

I wouldn't expect a baby to grow into a smart adult if his mother was a lover of alcohol though.
There's a whole topic on this in Oxford's psychology degree (and probably many others) so there's a lot to discuss.
I think the overall consensus is that there is no 'complete' way to define intelligence because of people's talents in different areas, but IQ is the best way of measuring 'raw intelligence' - in terms of mental dexterity.

And yes, intelligence is partly heriditary.
hmm ..........
My mother was a lover of alcohol and I've turned out alright. I'm no genius, but who is? I disagree that IQs are particularly useful since there are so many types of intelligence and as a species I don't think we've actually pinpointed what intelligence is and how to measure it, let alone different variations of it.
However, that's probably bias on my part since I have always performed badly on them. I can do most linguistics questions fine, but arithmetic, spatial awareness and non-verbal reasoning are not my forte and I end up with a below average IQ. I failed my 11+ miserably, and although I did well in my GCSEs I think I only got good grades because of my ability to write rather than know anything (hence my lowest grade in Maths, where I couldn't write my way out of a situation).

I think there is a huge hereditary factor involved. My grandfather died when I was four, but all accounts of him seem to point to the suggestion that he was a highly gifted man. Despite the fact he left school very early on (and he had been to a very rubbish school in one of the most deprived areas of East London) because he couldn't afford his school uniform, he managed to teach himself to play huge numbers of instruments; write letters not just competently but lingusitically astute or passionate depending on the situation; and had a vast knowledge gleaned from access to the public library. However he had been a labourer his whole life with no intellectual stimulation from other people (his wife was, shall we say, of limited intellect). Knowing this makes me think that even people who have grown up in dire environments will eventually, if not prodigiously, reveal their gift(s). None of his children went to University because of the same reason, but out of eight grandchildren they have all done exceptionally well academically and a number have gone to Oxbridge/St.George's; the others I'm sure were of the calibre to go but chose not to.

At the same time, I think nurture can help in bringing a gift out early on, e.g. in reading to your child, which can ultimately aid in success but not necessarily intellectual proess later on.
Most "geniuses" aren't born reading the Encyclopaedia Britannica: in the case of most, it takes until adulthood before their full potential is realised (an exception being Picasso). You can get an average ability pupil through any exam with sufficient tutoring and work, but as soon as they are posed with a task that requires thought, their lack of intelligence will become evident. In that respect, I think intelligence is rather (unfortunate for some) finite and there's not a lot you can do about it.
:eek:
Woostarite

I think the overall consensus is that there is no 'complete' way to define intelligence because of people's talents in different areas, but IQ is the best way of measuring 'raw intelligence' - in terms of mental dexterity.

But then there's the argument on whether IQ can be measured.
Reply 45
Lauren
I think you can train your brain to understand things better. I don't get why it takes some people ages to understand things; they're just lazy in my opinion.

For example at uni my bf did much more work than me, I didn't work at all, and we got the same grade, so he must not have been doing work as effectively as me, seeing as we're both of equal intelligence.

So, you understand everything?

Would you call yourself a 'polymath' then?

(A General Aside: 'smart' by the way has a multitude of definitions in the OED. Take a look.)
Reply 46
BellaCat
So, you understand everything?

Everything I learnt for my exams (which wasn't the entire course because I'm lazy). But I'm sure you agree that you need to understand all of your work.

I don't understand men!!
Reply 47
SamTheMan
To be honest, I don't think the naked look is very smart so no, you're not smart when you're born. I think you need to put some clothes on to look smart.

Nice one!

OED: 2 well groomed; neat, bright; fresh in appearance. Has a sudden mental image of about-to-be unleashed upon the world baby struggling, in the cramped confines of the womb, to change into an Armani suit.
Reply 48
Lauren
Everything I learnt for my exams (which wasn't the entire course because I'm lazy). But I'm sure you agree that you need to understand all of your work.

I don't understand men!!

By everything, I meant everything.
I meant: Are you omniscient?
Because you may yet be the anwer to the slow disintegration of this plant we happened to have found ourselves inhabiting.

You didn't respond to my second enquiry.
Reply 49
kikzen
crouch end eh? you go to aloysius? or the private place at the top of highgate hill? and those gcses are pretty good!

No I went to highgate wood but now go to woodhouse what about you. send me a private messeage.
Reply 50
Double U - Tea - Eff. = WTF ? :cool:
Reply 51
BellaCat
By everything, I meant everything.
I meant: Are you omniscient?
Because you may yet be the anwer to the slow disintegration of this plant we happened to have found ourselves inhabiting.

You didn't respond to my second enquiry.

Obviously I'm not omniscient. I understand everything that I need to; that is, topics for my course or my job, matters I'm interested in.

I'd call myself a human being.

Oh yes, I remember now. You're the one who made obnoxious comments in the Cambridge forum. There's no need for constant pedantry Bellacat.
Reply 52
Nofer
No I went to highgate wood but now go to woodhouse what about you. send me a private messeage.

Highgate Wood? I used to go there... I only know two people in the year who got the grades you got in that year, which one are you?
Reply 53
I used to think blondes weren't smart, until Lauren came along :love:
Reply 54
ajj169
Highgate Wood? I used to go there... I only know two people in the year who got the grades you got in that year, which one are you?

Im nofer who are you?
Reply 55
Nofer
Im nofer

Okay, on second thoughts, that was quite obvious... But I could have sworn you got different grades... Must be my mistake. I'm Andrew (voted "Most likely to rule the world" in the yearbook).
Reply 56
ramroff
I used to think blondes weren't smart, until Lauren came along :love:

Ramroff, the internet love of my life :love: :p:

:eek: I've dyed my hair dark brown. Looks very sophisticated and sexy (and now I have artificial intelligence! Woooo!!)
Reply 57
Lauren
Obviously I'm not omniscient. I understand everything that I need to; that is, topics for my course or my job, matters I'm interested in.

Oh yes, I remember now. You're the one who made obnoxious comments in the Cambridge forum. There's no need for constant pedantry Bellacat.

What obnoxious comments?

I fear you have mistaken me for someone else.
Reply 58
ajj169
Okay, on second thoughts, that was quite obvious... But I could have sworn you got different grades... Must be my mistake. I'm Andrew (voted "Most likely to rule the world" in the yearbook).

Oh yeah, you're that guy who's always in the computer room or the maths department at lunchtime. The one who was friends with that guy who couldn't speak english.

im nofer the guy who got "coolest person"!!!
Reply 59
Lauren

And where's the pedantry?

I was merely asking you for clarification.

But I've clearly touched a nerve, so never mind...

Latest

Trending

Trending