Turn on thread page Beta

How much does your school help with Oxbridge applications? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I go to a state school where I think about 40/120 people in my year applied to Oxbridge. I pulled out last minute and I wish I'd stayed in because they are so much more interested in you if you apply there-they take notice of where you get offers from and if you get an offer from oxbridge no doubt you will be treated like a godess when we go back to school in Jan! hehe
    xxx
    woo

did you get in and being treated like a goddess then?

ReputationRep:
    My school is really pro-Oxbridge application. When i applied, all the teachers are nicer to you, there are teachers in charge of the whole oxbridge application process...basically they love you.

We even had a meeting with the Head who sat us down and went over interviews and stuff like that with us.

I think this can't be good, cos then all the people who aren't applying for oxbridge get overlooked, and are almost treated like they're inferior.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    woo

did you get in and being treated like a goddess then?
    No....... I didn't apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I wish I'd stayed in because they are so much more interested in you if you apply there-they take notice of where you get offers from and if you get an offer from oxbridge no doubt you will be treated like a godess when we go back to school in Jan! hehe
    xxx
    thats so true! im in a state school, usually about 1 in 20 apply to oxbridge, i think that went up this year but i know quite a few did get rejected from oxford. all the teachers seem to know the names of the oxbridge applicants, and some have given us their e-mail addresses to let them know if we get an offer.
    we got a lot of help considering what you lot seemed to get. we had loads of speakers from liverpool/bangor/manchester unis telling us about applying and stuff at the end of yr 12, i've had 2 mock interviews (one with the local rotary club which was a general interview mock and 1 with the head of maths which was a maths mock).
    ive had extra maths lessons to improve my algebra skills and explanation of mathematical things such as how i got to an answer, plus i'll get loads of help with the step papers if i get an offer. one of my maths teachers did his degree and phd at cam, and another at least applied for ox so they know about the process.
    we got priority treatment with personal statements with the head of 6th form checking them and doing our references, the others have our form tutors helping with their. the head of 6th form also reccomends about 4/5 colleges at cam/ox depepnding on your subject/required facilities (ie. the sports people)/past students experiences there.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    We don't get told which college to apply to - they just leave it up to us.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, I had help last year, my college picked and didn't apply to Oxford because 'nobody from our school gets in go for Cambridge' and was rejected.

This year I did it by myself and got in :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was one of just two people that applied to Oxbridge from my state school sixth form last year. I had a mock general interview, but that was it - hardly much help. In the end, I didn't get in, but my friend did.

ReputationRep:
    My school were next to useless when it came to actually applying! They arranged an open day at a college for us and invited a current Cambridge undergraduate to the school to speak to us, but afterwards seemed to lose interest. As I applied for English, I really could have done with a decent mock interview and some poetry criticism classes; indeed I asked but without result. Ergo, I was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    there were only 2 from my school applying but we didnt really get any help with the application at all. I arranged mock interviews with the head and head of science though so that helped but if I hadnt asked I dont think theyd have done that. but hey I got an offer so cant really complain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I go to an independent school where usually about a third of each year applies to Oxbridge, and I only got one mock interview and that was about it. Independent schools do not all have intensive Oxbridge coaching.
    Alexander - you at Magdalen/ Abingdon/ Radley? Was OHS and had a mock int at Teddies- was completely pants, yet I bet they assumed I had had proper coaching. I wish. Good luck with your app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterflew)
    Alexander - you at Magdalen/ Abingdon/ Radley? Was OHS and had a mock int at Teddies- was completely pants, yet I bet they assumed I had had proper coaching. I wish. Good luck with your app.
    I'm at Magdalen. So are you reapplying having left OHS? Did you get an offer? Do you know anyone at MCS? I was rejected by Oxford for Classics.

It is mainly a myth about independent schools having intensive interview training or anything else to help their pupils get in, people I've spoken to at other schools have agreed, but I suppose the general ethos probably does help in applications. However plenty of state schools also have such an ethos, at least amongst parts of the school, so there can't be said to be a clean divide in the non-intelligence-based factors affecting state/independent pupils' applications.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Magdalen. So are you reapplying having left OHS? Did you get an offer? Do you know anyone at MCS?

It is mainly a myth about independent schools having intensive interview training or anything else to help their pupils get in, people I've spoken to at other schools have agreed, but I suppose the general ethos probably does help in applications. However plenty of state schools also have such an ethos, at least amongst parts of the school, so it can't be taken as a rule.
    well i only really knew the Y15 and 14s - not really anyone in your year! i did babysit for your head a year or so ago, not v impressed with him. am now working in a menial job at one of the hospitals. (hence bumming around on discussion forums) bit of advice -if you go for a gap year, don't just take the first decently paid job! look for something you find interesting/ vocational on some level!

Am gonna take up Bristol on their offer. And to be honest, there wasn't anything more that school could have done to help me- it was down to my own inadequacy at interview, sadly. And I am really appreciative for their help with my app considering it was post A.

ReputationRep:
    well i only really knew the Y15 and 14s - not really anyone in your year! i did babysit for your head a year or so ago, not v impressed with him. am now working in a menial job at one of the hospitals. (hence bumming around on discussion forums) bit of advice -if you go for a gap year, don't just take the first decently paid job! look for something you find interesting/ vocational on some level!

Am gonna take up Bristol on their offer. And to be honest, there wasn't anything more that school could have done to help me- it was down to my own inadequacy at interview, sadly. And I am really appreciative for their help with my app considering it was post A.
    Well I'm thinking about a gap year (and applying to Cam during it) so I'll bear that in mind. Are you off to do anything interesting afterwards? I'm also thinking about Bristol.

I'd be amused to hear what was wrong with our head, as I don't think there's that much which is bad about him -- he does his job really well, and he seems a devoted father (always telling us about his daughters during lessons).

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm thinking about a gap year (and applying to Cam during it) so I'll bear that in mind. Are you off to do anything interesting afterwards? I'm also thinking about Bristol.

I'd be amused to hear what was wrong with our head, as I don't think there's that much which is bad about him -- he does his job really well, and he seems a devoted father (always telling us about his daughters during lessons).
    naah, I'm sure he's fine, certainly better than Lusky. Its just that he was 2 hours late- shock horror- on a school night!!! VVVVbad. His kids were v well behaved.
    I'm going to teach on Koh Pha Ngan (thailand) in May for 3.5 months, then travelling with a friend for a month - really looking forward to it.
    If you're interested in Nat Sci, I know a couple of old waynfletes enjoying it at Clare and jesus.
    have a happy and successful new year! i should probably go do some work now.

ReputationRep:
    naah, I'm sure he's fine, certainly better than Lusky. Its just that he was 2 hours late- shock horror- on a school night!!! VVVVbad. His kids were v well behaved.
    I'm going to teach on Koh Pha Ngan (thailand) in May for 3.5 months, then travelling with a friend for a month - really looking forward to it.
    If you're interested in Nat Sci, I know a couple of old waynfletes enjoying it at Clare and jesus.
    have a happy and successful new year! i should probably go do some work now.
    Was it this term? It's just that we went on a theatre trip with him and the minibus ran out of diesel on the way back (absent-minded teachers forgetting to fill up) and we were thus two hours late. Your gap year plan sounds good. I'm a classicist, but I'm gratified that someone not directly connected with MCS knows the term "Old Waynflete"

ReputationRep:
    Was it this term? It's just that we went on a theatre trip with him and the minibus ran out of diesel on the way back (absent-minded teachers forgetting to fill up) and we were thus two hours late. Your gap year plan sounds good. I'm a classicist, but I'm gratified that someone not directly connected with MCS knows the term "Old Waynflete"
    its nice that you're sticking up for him, but no, it was ages ago, and he was somewhat the worse for wear after some sort of dinner. my mum (scary school teacher) had a go at him about it and he almost got run over wobbling back over magdalen plain so i feel quite bad! your old hb laurence says he was a good guy to work with, so sorry i even started anything anti! (i cheated, my bro's an OW)

ReputationRep:
    What are poeple expecting?

I said my college was really good, giving me a mock interview and marking my essays....

There seems to be a lot of people on here who are saying "well i got a mock interview, but my school was crap". What more do you want your school to do for you?

I enjoyed researching and finding out about the different colleges, and deciding which one I wanted to go to. If you are applying to oxbridge, you are probably intellegent enough to read through the prospectuses (prospecti?) and websites and choose for yourself.

Your school can't tell you whats going to happen in your interview, just prepare you for the format ant the type of question.

Also, do you think you definatly should be treated with more respect, and your application given a higher level of importance than other peoples'? Oxford and cambridge aren't the only universities worth talking about... And its not only Oxford and Cambridge that have interviews either... I know for a fact that UCL and warwick ask for interviews in some subjects too, so the interview process can't justify spending loads more time on oxbridge applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    What are poeple expecting?

I said my college was really good, giving me a mock interview and marking my essays....

There seems to be a lot of people on here who are saying "well i got a mock interview, but my school was crap". What more do you want your school to do for you?

I enjoyed researching and finding out about the different colleges, and deciding which one I wanted to go to. If you are applying to oxbridge, you are probably intellegent enough to read through the prospectuses (prospecti?) and websites and choose for yourself.

Your school can't tell you whats going to happen in your interview, just prepare you for the format ant the type of question.

Also, do you think you definatly should be treated with more respect, and your application given a higher level of importance than other peoples'? Oxford and cambridge aren't the only universities worth talking about... And its not only Oxford and Cambridge that have interviews either... I know for a fact that UCL and warwick ask for interviews in some subjects too, so the interview process can't justify spending loads more time on oxbridge applicants.
    I agree - the pre-application process is enjoyable if you really get into it and research into the colleges/organise going to open days yourself. I am also extremely grateful for the mock interview my school organised for me as it did help (as I described before). I just wish they hadn't lost my forms (and two other students) because I had to do everything again - it was a pain in the ass and just meant extra stress to send in the forms just before the deadline!

ReputationRep:
    its nice that you're sticking up for him, but no, it was ages ago, and he was somewhat the worse for wear after some sort of dinner. my mum (scary school teacher) had a go at him about it and he almost got run over wobbling back over magdalen plain so i feel quite bad! your old hb laurence says he was a good guy to work with, so sorry i even started anything anti! (i cheated, my bro's an OW)
    lol I didn't mean to stick up for him too much, in fact I was a bit disappointed that you weren't able to dish some dirt on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    Hey, I just want to make it clear that that was in no way what I was implying. I've applied to places other than Cambridge, which also want interviews, and would be thrilled to get in to any of them.

I was only asking because I know of a sixth form college not far from my school where they make a lot of effort to get people into Oxbridge - take them to look around (even though we're hours away from Oxford or Cambridge), give them interview training, spend extra time on their personal statements etc. I was not asking because I think Oxbridge applicants should be given priority, just because in some places they are, and I wondered if this was common.

Sorry if it sounded like I meant something else.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.