Turn on thread page Beta

How much does your school help with Oxbridge applications? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    There seems to be a lot of people on here who are saying "well i got a mock interview, but my school was crap". What more do you want your school to do for you?
    I think you may be referring to my posts (amongst others) in this comment. Well I didn't expect anything more, that was fine: all I was trying to say is that it is a myth about independent schools doing mystical and magical things to their pupils to help them get in....

ReputationRep:
    I had a 2min general mock interview, which feedback I should actually have listened to because it came up in the interview :rolleyes: . I applied to Oxford, didn't get in, and I bet when I go back to school now, the teachers will be gloating, esp. since the teacher who does all the UCAS stuff told me I was unlikely to get in anyway and also cuz he doesn't like me cuz i'm not a debating person or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    A school with fewer Oxbridge candidates may be able to give more attention to them. A school with 50 odd applicants can hardly afford to spend a large amount fo time discussing each individual's application.
    Au contraire - I went to an independent school, with 60 or so in my year; 2 of us applied to Cambridge and we certainly didn't get any intensive coaching or anything (although I think the other girl who applied had one mock interview with her housemaster). My housemaster was very supportive of us all with our UCAS apps in general, but I didn't get any special treatment, apart from that he wrote my reference 2nd of 11 he had to do, cos of the earlier deadline (the first one was for a girl applying for dentistry, who sent her form in before I did). So the "Independent schools all coach their pupils intensively for their interviews" is crap.

Incidentally, my friends did give me a rather jokey mock interview, at which the most important question was "Do you give head?" to which they told me the correct answer was "I'll give anything to get into Cambridge!"

ReputationRep:
    My school organises a 2 day trip to oxford and cambridge. We also have had 3 visits from a Cambridge admissions tutor and a mock interview. The school spends a lot of time helping Oxbridge applicants and I'm very grateful for that.

ReputationRep:
    Although my school is a very working class state grammar school, they do place a lot of emphasis on Oxbridge applicants. They start the whole process for potential candidates in January in the Lower 6th, we went a school nearby to us for a talk on appying to Oxford and we have a Cambridge speaker visiting next moth to talk on the same subject. Later on in the year around April/May time we go to Oxford for two days and about a month later go to Cambridge for two days also. Then several weeks before interviews we recieve a mock interview from an admissions tutor at nearby Liverpool uni, and finally an interview with the head of the department for the subject you have chosen to apply to read, for some last minute tips. Extra AS courses are also provided to beef up applicants UCAS forms such as Critical Thinking. I am suprised at all the effort that is put in when usually only 10 or so apply, however it must be very important to them, for prospectuses etc. However we are all very appreciative of all the staffs efforts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    Although my school is a very working class state grammar school, they do place a lot of emphasis on Oxbridge applicants. They start the whole process for potential candidates in January in the Lower 6th, we went a school nearby to us for a talk on appying to Oxford and we have a Cambridge speaker visiting next moth to talk on the same subject. Later on in the year around April/May time we go to Oxford for two days and about a month later go to Cambridge for two days also. Then several weeks before interviews we recieve a mock interview from an admissions tutor at nearby Liverpool uni, and finally an interview with the head of the department for the subject you have chosen to apply to read, for some last minute tips. Extra AS courses are also provided to beef up applicants UCAS forms such as Critical Thinking. I am suprised at all the effort that is put in when usually only 10 or so apply, however it must be very important to them, for prospectuses etc. However we are all very appreciative of all the staffs efforts!
    Wow - and I was amazed by how much public schools do to help! Did you get an offer?

At my school, a good single-sex foundation school, we have a designated teacher who has the role of Oxbridge coordinator, who deals with everything Oxbridge. In the summer term prospective pupils attended a useless meeting given by the teacher, telling us facts which a good prospective applicant should know anyway. We three applicants got priority for the UCAS process. We each had a mock interview by two teachers, who had good intentions, but the help wasn't very satisfying to be honest. I went over some of a past entrance exam with my chemistry teacher, an Oxford graduate, and he gave me some general help.

Anyway, I am the only one in my school to hold an Oxbridge offer. Relatively disappointing this year - but the Headmaster is nevertheless pleased with me.

ReputationRep:
    I am getting quite a bit of help, again because it's a private school. There are about 25 students applying this year, which I suppose is average at my school. There is a trip arranged on the main open days for both universities, with accomodation in a college. I attend an English tutorial once a week with my teacher, experienced in marking both English and Theatre Studies A-level papers. The Head of English attended Cambridge, and another teacher went to both Oxford and Cambridge. However, as good as it appears in these respects, I must say that my AS English set are crap at it, and tend to laugh every single time I make a point (which is often, considering they say nothing). So even where I go (which, to be honest, in the private sector is no great shakes, at least fee-wise), it is still very doubtful if I'll get in or not. I suppose it all depends on the individual's talent; the staff are presumably well trained at spotting a good candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lurker)
    My school are ok with UCAS applications in general, but don't treat Oxbridge applications any differently to others. They arrange trips to some universities, but not usually any outside Wales, certainly not Oxbridge. No practice interviews or anything. So I was just wondering how many people here get extra help when applying to Oxbridge.
    My school give applicants practice interviews for Oxbridge but i think that's it. There are no university visits arranged by the school.

ReputationRep:
    If any pupils in my school said they were going to oxford they would have had them sectioned and locked up in a mental home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    "Yeah your UCAS form's alright. Good luck".

About the same here!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.