Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doditta)
    Hello everyone
    I am also applying to Sheffield and my submission was postponed (thanks God). I wanted to ask about some things after I looked through jrhartley's portfolio (sorry for mistakes, im not native English). Actually, I found there are very few images and I think with more of them I could "feel the flow", because it feels quite.. dry? And I cant read the small stuff from the AA's project (I can't show work I did with whole team right? and it's process?). Should we focus on quality over quantity, put one image for 1.pencil sketch 2.ex.coal drawing, 3. product design or 4. installation etc. even though I have more good ones? Sometimes, I need to show the process, or show more images than just one, for example 2 pictures horizontally or even more, smaller with one bigger. I'd want to divide the portfolio of Word pages into topics (should it be by means, ex.pencil or by topic, ex. sketchbook?). If I want to merge few sketches, can I just put them one next to another in Word or should I make photo of them together, or merge them as one jpg-does it has to look like a collage or can it be just rectangular pictures together? I want to put the explanations of my work on the first pages, next to the image (just as in jr's), but how much can I write for each? Is there a page limit or just limit of 10 images (.jpg)? Also, how do I provide the school principal's (or whom?) signature that it's my own work: just "I confirm that is XY's work. Signature. Shool stamp." page?
    I have never done a portfolio before. Please reply as fast as possible.
    Would you possibly be able to separate your questions clearly so people will be able to have a shot at answering them and perhaps clarify what you mean by 'ex.'

Tip though, I probably would edit and format my entire portfolio on word unless you don't know any other program.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that my portfolio is quite dry. Everyone has a different style and that changes over time. Personally I see architecture as about building, constructional logic and rationality than I do as willful art. so that is probably reflected in my work. I'm also no artist and am the first to admit it. Its good to have a range of styles in a school, so do what you think suits you. I would definitely advocate quality over quantity. Each admissions tutor will be receiving 1000s of applications and therefore a huge number of images in front of their eyes. Better to demonstrate you can self edit with a few images than try the old 'kitchen sink approach' and show them everything in the hope they will see something they like.

the decisions re: formatting, style, media, text are ones only you can answer. You can only do what you think looks best and communicates what you want to say. There are no hard and fast rules about how you should send over your work, generally just rules about the number of images they want. You are obviously allowed a cover letter, as i did, and you can include your thumbnails there and some text I'd have thought. Sheffield made me an offer on my crappy portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply!
    I know that style obviously depends on me, but there are some limitations, for example 10 images i guess means 10 pages of work plus explanation. Im not sure if I would risk putting one image on whole page unless it's reaaaally good or meaningful. I think 2,3 pencil drawings/photos on page is ok to show drawing skills or present a sculpture?
    My second question was about merging pictures. When you have a process to show, for example presenting a book (which i did with a team), an installation or models, 3d designs, i'd probably have to put more pictures. So, should I make a collage or just put them one next to another?
    Third, should I resign from putting up drawings from a5 sketchbook (8 images) on one word page? Or four posters on same topic on one page?
    Fourth, how do i do the "confirmation that the work is original"? Should it be signed by my reference (from ucas application) or principal?
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and two more: what would you suggest to use instead word/open office? What did u use jr?

How to get such a high quality of image as on ur portfolio jr? It's only 500kb/page.

ReputationRep:
    you know what i was saying about alevels not being a good indicator for architectural ability

... it seems common sense is not common.....

ReputationRep:
    Oh and two more: what would you suggest to use instead word/open office? What did u use jr?

How to get such a high quality of image as on ur portfolio jr? It's only 500kb/page.

word. i would use illustrator, indesign or maybe even vectorworks to layout now, but i didn't know how to use those when i was applying for architecture. word is fine if you use tables to ensure that the images are a consitent size.

output it as a pdf. then optimise it using acrobat to make the document smaller (compress to 150dpi). then it should be fairly small for emailing, putting on the web, etc.

ReputationRep:
    ArchiBoi, I would totally agree common sense is not common, especially if there we consider environmental and cultural differences. Hope to get obtain tip next time, I already know I cant know everything, right?

Jr, I was kinda confused when the first 2 pages of word where I had max 300kb of images took 10mb. Works lil better with open office, but i'll try indesign, you're right..or the word 07. thanks for hints!

ReputationRep:
    Pwnd :p:

In Word, you can make images take up less space with; right click>format picture>picture>compress...

ReputationRep:
    I have just applied for architecture at UCL, Westminster, Kingston, Greenwich and Southbank. So far UCL has got back to me they asked for 5 specific drawings, view from my bedroom, self portrait, a personal journey, my favourite place and my bedroom. Westminster asked for 7-10 drawings including a short piece of writing about an architect i admire, and Kingston offered me an interview that i have to take 12 pictures to. Hope that helps anyone who was unsure of what they'd ask for.
    If theres anyone whos already had an interview, any clues to what sort of piece of work you took that could found beneficial to include, could help me. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KKavanagh)
    I have just applied for architecture at UCL, Westminster, Kingston, Greenwich and Southbank. So far UCL has got back to me they asked for 5 specific drawings, view from my bedroom, self portrait, a personal journey, my favourite place and my bedroom. Westminster asked for 7-10 drawings including a short piece of writing about an architect i admire, and Kingston offered me an interview that i have to take 12 pictures to. Hope that helps anyone who was unsure of what they'd ask for.
    If theres anyone whos already had an interview, any clues to what sort of piece of work you took that could found beneficial to include, could help me. Thanks
    Hi, I've applied to UCL, Westminster,Kingston , Bristol UWE and UCL for Urban Planning, UCL have sent me the task , i've had an offer from bristol, but i've heard nothing from westminster and kingston?I already have A-levels (AAB)and am currently taking an Art Foundation year, I only applied this year.

ReputationRep:
    as eventually i have gone through tough times with all this portfolio submission, i'd like to help out some who might not know what to include etc.
    i used mostly selection of pictures from sections uploaded to www.dodiq.daportfolio.com and noted down max few sentences what it is, what was my inspiration, what i aimed for, what new i learned.
    Rejected by Sheffield, but got offer from Manchester and Oxford Brookes.
    Hope that can be any helpful! Luck

ReputationRep:
    Your drawings are beautiful and some show evidence of creativity. Thank you for posting the link for the website.

Can you please tell me how long did it take for Oxford Brookes to reply and what exactly they required from you? Also, why did Sheffield rejected you?

I’ve applied for both of these universities (and three others), so I would like to know. I am international student, by the way, so my “critical time” is not over yet.

ReputationRep:
    as eventually i have gone through tough times with all this portfolio submission, i'd like to help out some who might not know what to include etc.
    i used mostly selection of pictures from sections uploaded to www.dodiq.daportfolio.com and noted down max few sentences what it is, what was my inspiration, what i aimed for, what new i learned.
    Rejected by Sheffield, but got offer from Manchester and Oxford Brookes.
    Hope that can be any helpful! Luck
    Hi

Well, the first thing I'd say is you need to reduce the number of drawings by at least 50%, probably 75%. There are far too many.

You need to sort out your 15 best and give them prominence on the website. The images should load quickly - some are taking ages to come up. Put yourself in the position of an admissions tutor or an employer - receiving thousands of applications. Things need to load very quickly so check the file size of some of those competition images.

Now, you probably won't like me for saying this but I think I can see why you might have been rejected by Sheffield. Most of the drawings and sketches just seem a bit scruffy and unloved. They look like drawings that you did as part of your GCSE Art coursework that you did in a couple of hours each.

What I would suggest is that you do 10-15 images and really spend ages on them - at least three full days on each image. I say this as I detect you are not a natural artist - that's fine - I'm not either. What I'm trying to say is that you don't strike me as the kind of person who could just do a one line drawing and it would look beautiful. I'm the same - some people have that gift, some don't. I don't and its annoying as it means everything takes me a lot longer than some of my 'gifted' friends.

So what I'm saying is:

- decide on 10-15 key images you are going to produce
    - really put your heart into it - work on them, 30 hours per image. Yes, its a huge commitment, but that's what the admission tutors want to see evidence of - LOVE, CRAFT, SUFFERING.

as i said, you probably didn't want to read that, but I hope you find something constructive out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    Hi

Well, the first thing I'd say is you need to reduce the number of drawings by at least 50%, probably 75%. There are far too many.

You need to sort out your 15 best and give them prominence on the website. The images should load quickly - some are taking ages to come up. Put yourself in the position of an admissions tutor or an employer - receiving thousands of applications. Things need to load very quickly so check the file size of some of those competition images.

Now, you probably won't like me for saying this but I think I can see why you might have been rejected by Sheffield. Most of the drawings and sketches just seem a bit scruffy and unloved. They look like drawings that you did as part of your GCSE Art coursework that you did in a couple of hours each.

What I would suggest is that you do 10-15 images and really spend ages on them - at least three full days on each image. I say this as I detect you are not a natural artist - that's fine - I'm not either. What I'm trying to say is that you don't strike me as the kind of person who could just do a one line drawing and it would look beautiful. I'm the same - some people have that gift, some don't. I don't and its annoying as it means everything takes me a lot longer than some of my 'gifted' friends.

So what I'm saying is:

- decide on 10-15 key images you are going to produce
    - really put your heart into it - work on them, 30 hours per image. Yes, its a huge commitment, but that's what the admission tutors want to see evidence of - LOVE, CRAFT, SUFFERING.

as i said, you probably didn't want to read that, but I hope you find something constructive out of it.
    I am ready to bleed to produce a decent portfolio :p:

Seriously...

I am not a great artist, but I can produce work of some quality. However, my problem is with creativity. I am willing to physically work really hard on my drawings, but it takes me a long time to find a truly creative idea, according to my personal standards, to execute and this is causing me a lot of stress since I keep thinking that I won’t have enough time to finish everything.

To be honest, I am interested in the scientific and logical side of architecture more than the artistic side. I had few ideas in an attempt to elaborate this fact, but reading some of the posts here, most of my ideas may seem “boring” to the admissions tutors.

They say that they want the portfolio to be as personal as possible, but I keep feeling that there are very strict standards to what a portfolio should be like.

I would appreciate any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Well then do what you want. I've yet to follow a brief's submission requirements to the letter.

Read over your last post then analyse it and think of the main theme your struggling with, how can that relate to architecture? Find a way to express it which is fulfilling to you and then sprinkle with your frustration. That would be interesting.

That theme is speed vs quality btw.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post but ive been offered by an art teacher at my school to help prepare a folio for university when applying for architecture. Ive been reading through this seeing things about 4-15 pages of work, of specific themes and titles. I was wondering since me and my teacher arn't sure of what to include could someone post the exact requirements that must be included in the folio, and then possibly some things that would make me seem enthusisastic.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyllannn)
    Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post but ive been offered by an art teacher at my school to help prepare a folio for university when applying for architecture. Ive been reading through this seeing things about 4-15 pages of work, of specific themes and titles. I was wondering since me and my teacher arn't sure of what to include could someone post the exact requirements that must be included in the folio, and then possibly some things that would make me seem enthusisastic.

Thanks.
    Sorry if this is an annoying answer but look through or search this sub-forum, there's plenty of in depth posts about this.
    You pretty much include your most accomplished artwork, whatever that may be. There are no specific things to include, and different unis want different amounts. Basically continue doing art as well as you can and continue to scan and organise your best pieces.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gornless, Im new to this forum so im still finding my way around. Been looking through Glasgow school of arts prospectus, and it seems like i need 10 pieces for my electronic folio and 10-15 for the folio i take on the day. Still boggled on what i actually have to present though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gornless, Im new to this forum so im still finding my way around. Been looking through Glasgow school of arts prospectus, and it seems like i need 10 pieces for my electronic folio and 10-15 for the folio i take on the day. Still boggled on what i actually have to present though.
    Yeah, fair play. It's just your artwork from A-level Art or Graphics or creative stuff you've done in your free time.

ReputationRep:
    For the glasgow school of art Architecture you don't apply via the electronic folio, you just send away your application and if your UCAS is strong enough they will invite you to interview and you show your normal portfolio there.

Well, atleast thats how it worked this year, i doubt it has changed!...but double check to make sure

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.