Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the Crime thread, what are your thoughts on prison, does it rehabilitate people or just encourage them to learn more crime. How many people reoffend, should capital punishment be reinstated?? Just a few questions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe prison works, it's not really as harsh a place as it used to be. Criminals come out of prison with more knowledge than they went in. Prison affects people in different ways, some are petrified to go back and will never re-offend, but unfortunately i feel the case that most do re-offend. Capital punishment should never be re-introduced in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    In addition to the Crime thread, what are your thoughts on prison, does it rehabilitate people or just encourage them to learn more crime. How many people reoffend, should capital punishment be reinstated?? Just a few questions.
    The aim of prision is not merely to rehabilitate people. Its two other functions are to protect society from an individual offender and to deter potential offenders from becoming offenders.

Though prison is not the best solution, I can't think of anything better at fulfilling those functions.

ReputationRep:
    I think people should only be put in prison if they are a threat to the safety of other people. Like muggers, rapists, murderers, burglars.

Capital punishment is always bad but might be neccessary on some really really really nasty people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    The aim of prision is not merely to rehabilitate people. Its two other functions are to protect society from an individual offender and to deter potential offenders from becoming offenders.

Though prison is not the best solution, I can't think of anything better at fulfilling those functions.
    there's definitely one better deterrent - capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Do we have any figures on the re offending rate?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think prison works...makes em learn more crime! but if there gunna be locked up for life, then they can go there i guess.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azz)
    there's definitely one better deterrent - capital punishment.
    If that is the case, how come there are still murders in america? If a person wants to kill someone they won't care about capital punishment or any other consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I don't believe prison works, it's not really as harsh a place as it used to be. Criminals come out of prison with more knowledge than they went in. Prison affects people in different ways, some are petrified to go back and will never re-offend, but unfortunately i feel the case that most do re-offend. Capital punishment should never be re-introduced in my opinion.
    Perhaps conditions should be bad so people don't want to go back. Shitheads from the streets of West Brom (nasty place in the Midlands near Birmingham) who just don't learn should be put in the same cell as insane violent serial killers who are locked up for life, under a watchful eye of course. But then there would be a shortage of insane violent serial killers.

People who are in there only for a few months for violent crimes should have the worst time of their life so they are scared to go back there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If that is the case, how come there are still murders in america? If a person wants to kill someone they won't care about capital punishment or any other consequences.
    They're so ignorant they don't deserve to live? They are crazy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    In light of the fact you believe prison doesnt work, wouldnt capital punishment be a better deterrent, not necessarily meaning the death penalty but for theft, the loss of a hand, for a repeated offence the loss of the other and with no help from the state to live. Prisons are a drain on taxes and the tax payer has better things to work for than to give criminals a roof over their head, food in the their stomachs and a bed to sleep in at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Do we have any figures on the re offending rate?
    Looking for some now 2776, soon as I have some, will post, if anyone else finds any Id be interested in seeing them

ReputationRep:
    In light of the fact you believe prison doesnt work, wouldnt capital punishment be a better deterrent, not necessarily meaning the death penalty but for theft, the loss of a hand, for a repeated offence the loss of the other and with no help from the state to live. Prisons are a drain on taxes and the tax payer has better things to work for than to give criminals a roof over their head, food in the their stomachs and a bed to sleep in at night.
    Capital punishment is not a deterrent and it's wrong. Even to cut off someone's hand. What gives one person the right to cut off another person's hand, who do they think they are to do that?!? - God?

Perhaps prisons aren't a good idea, re-education would be a better idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, that's a tough one. I think the prison system (in the US at least) is a complete mess. You go to prison and get a free education at the taxpayers expense, you get three meals a day and congiecal visits. Some law abiding citizens don't have it that good. I think prison should be a prison in it's truest sense, ie. no education, no tv, no smokes, no fun recreation, no visits, just three basic meals and a cell w/ a toilet until your time is served. And after you should have to reimburse the government for your stay.
    Capital punishment would go along way to stop certain crimes such as rape and molestation. Exp. in certain contries if your caught stealing your hand is cut off. I think you see where I'm going w/ that. However that's abit uncivilized for most cultures.
    I think if improvements were made to the prison system we'd be better off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Unfortunately most muderers think they will get away with it, that and the fact that the judicial system is lacking over here, people get away w/ horrendous crimes everyday. Look at OJ, does anyone really think he's innocent? Yet there he is free as a bird, he got away w/ it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Capital punishment is not a deterrent and it's wrong. Even to cut off someone's hand. What gives one person the right to cut off another person's hand, who do they think they are to do that?!? - God?

Not God No, but what gives one person the right to violate someone else, be it theft, rape, racial abuse etc, that person has to live with the trauma for the rest of their lives, whilst the criminal, IF CAUGHT serves time in a place many homeless would want to be in, if for nothing else than as I said already 3 meals a day and a roof over their head

Again as previosly said, the probability of reoffending is high, re-education doesnt work in all cases, do we really want to re-release rapists, paedophiles, murderers back onto our streets with the thought, 'oh they've been re-educated, they wont reoffend'. Not meaning to tar everyone with the same brush as that method would perhaps work with a few

ReputationRep:
    They should be cauterised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

I don't think you can reeducate a phycopath.

ReputationRep:
    Again as previosly said, the probability of reoffending is high, re-education doesnt work in all cases, do we really want to re-release rapists, paedophiles, murderers back onto our streets with the thought, 'oh they've been re-educated, they wont reoffend'. Not meaning to tar everyone with the same brush as that method would perhaps work with a few
    It depends what sort of re-education you're talking about. Prison makes no attempt to re-educate someone, it's merely a holding place for a short period of time. The only people that do not re-offend are those that re-educate themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It depends what sort of re-education you're talking about. Prison makes no attempt to re-educate someone, it's merely a holding place for a short period of time. The only people that do not re-offend are those that re-educate themselves.
    Have you never seen 'The Shawshank Redemption'?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.