Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    In addition to the Crime thread, what are your thoughts on prison, does it rehabilitate people or just encourage them to learn more crime. How many people reoffend, should capital punishment be reinstated?? Just a few questions.
    Prison is the intermediate between the easiest but most morally repelled solution - execution, and the most morally appraised solution - rehabilitation. It's not the cheapest solution, nor is it the most 'morally correct' - it just serves as a convenient intermediate between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It depends what sort of re-education you're talking about. Prison makes no attempt to re-educate someone, it's merely a holding place for a short period of time. The only people that do not re-offend are those that re-educate themselves.
    Why should taxpayers money be spent on reeducating some criminal who should have known he/she was doing wrong in the first place. I'm sorry but if you do the crime, then do the time w/ no added perks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I don't think you can reeducate a phycopath.
    Why not? It is merely a state of mind that can be altered.

I have shawshank but i haven't watched it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It depends what sort of re-education you're talking about. Prison makes no attempt to re-educate someone, it's merely a holding place for a short period of time. The only people that do not re-offend are those that re-educate themselves.
    How many criminals want to re-educate themselves, cynical I probably am and we really should clarify the severity of the crime we are talking about although I think people are getting the jist. Look on people serving life, sorry but under present legislation, life is 25 years and I personally think that life should mean end of natural life, yet why should the honest workers pay to keep a lifetime prisoner in comfort. Yes they have lost liberties, but they still have their mind, freedom is in the mind. Their victims will never be free.

Take for example a young man (if I dare call him that) in his early 20s that has spent most of his life in young offenders and now prison, he purposely attacked another inmate close to his release date as he didnt want to be released, thus got an extra 3 years added onto his sentence. Many people find prison a way of life and easier to deal with than life on the outside.

ReputationRep:
    Why should taxpayers money be spent on reeducating some criminal who should have known he/she was doing wrong in the first place. I'm sorry but if you do the crime, then do the time w/ no added perks.
    exactly...well said infinity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Why not? It is merely a state of mind that can be altered.

I have shawshank but i haven't watched it.
    No a true phycopathic killer does not care and will never care, you would have to medicate someone like that for life, and who's to say he/she wouldn't go off their meds and kill again? Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who commits a crime (no matter how small) should be forced to join the army. They should also be forced to remain on a call-out list, in case the army needs their service again in the future - i.e. a war.

ReputationRep:
    No a true phycopathic killer does not care and will never care, you would have to medicate someone like that for life, and who's to say he/she wouldn't go off their meds and kill again? Not a risk I'd be willing to take.
    exactly....in california you actually have to molest a child 3 different times! 3 different cases that went to court.....before your put in for life....thats 3 children, that that person has destroyed.....and i think in the united states after a child molester has been convicted he has 93.95 chance of doing to again.....that is pretty troubling!

ReputationRep:
    How many criminals want to re-educate themselves, cynical I probably am and we really should clarify the severity of the crime we are talking about although I think people are getting the jist. Look on people serving life, sorry but under present legislation, life is 25 years and I personally think that life should mean end of natural life, yet why should the honest workers pay to keep a lifetime prisoner in comfort. Yes they have lost liberties, but they still have their mind, freedom is in the mind. Their victims will never be free.

Take for example a young man (if I dare call him that) in his early 20s that has spent most of his life in young offenders and now prison, he purposely attacked another inmate close to his release date as he didnt want to be released, thus got an extra 3 years added onto his sentence. Many people find prison a way of life and easier to deal with than life on the outside.
    I agree that 25 years is not enough for a life sentence, they should have harsher penalties. Sometimes, I still wish there was capital punishment, like in China. You hear about murders, rapes, robberries in the media, however does anybody pay any notice to what happens to the victims in the long term? Many of them will be too afraid of going out at night, meeting people, etc, for the rest of their life. True, they may get over it, but like a scar, they will never be fully healed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Anyone who commits a crime (no matter how small) should be forced to join the army. They should also be forced to remain on a call-out list, in case the army needs their service again in the future - i.e. a war.
    Good idea in theory, but where do we house these people until such a time as their services are needed, who pays for this? Are they allowed back out into society where they can reoffend again? all things to be considered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    yeah but that just gives you an army full of scum....they go overseas take hold of a village and start raping and killing off the local population..... and this would also be putting shoplifting in the same catagory....are you saying that a teen who shoplifted a candy bar or cologne deserves the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Good idea in theory, but where do we house these people until such a time as their services are needed, who pays for this? Are they allowed back out into society where they can reoffend again? all things to be considered
    They should be placed into a 1000 degree furnace, nuff said.

ReputationRep:

Well said.

Another point is child molestors and child murderers, they seem to get off relatively easy, 5-10 yrs and they're out on paroll. There was a guy in my area who raped and killed a 3 yr old about 10 yrs ago, he got 5-10 yrs in prison and was out in 3 yrs due to good behavior. He then got molested another child 2 yrs later, the cops knew who he was and told him to run, they wanted to shoot him because they knew he would get out again. He did, and god only knows how many other children he has hurt. You can't reeducate someone like this he should be locked away for life.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the prison service themselves can be sued.

It's OK giving people just food and a toilet to give them a crap time to me.

But unless you give them gym facilities they can sue for that.

Give them visits, or at least videoconferencing calls, or their family will suffer.

If you don't give them medical help where they need it, that'll cause trouble.

I think re-education is a good thing though, many criminals skived school and need basic skills to get a good job, otherwise their only way to get money will be re-offending. Education a class of people is cheaper than giving them benefits for the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

Another point is child molestors and child murderers, they seem to get off relatively easy, 5-10 yrs and they're out on paroll. There was a guy in my area who raped and killed a 3 yr old about 10 yrs ago, he got 5-10 yrs in prison and was out in 3 yrs due to good behavior. He then got molested another child 2 yrs later, the cops knew who he was and told him to run, they wanted to shoot him because they knew he would get out again. He did, and god only knows how many other children he has hurt.
    tell me about it....in texas a guy who has been convicted in raping and murdering 13 different women, is getting out next year, after serving only 7 years in prison (he is suspected of murdering and raping 36 more).....that kinda gives me the creeps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    exactly....in california you actually have to molest a child 3 different times! 3 different cases that went to court.....before your put in for life....thats 3 children, that that person has destroyed.....and i think in the united states after a child molester has been convicted he has 93.95 chance of doing to again.....that is pretty troubling!
    Exactly, see my last post, for an example, doesn't get much worse than that.

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

Another point is child molestors and child murderers, they seem to get off relatively easy, 5-10 yrs and they're out on paroll. There was a guy in my area who raped and killed a 3 yr old about 10 yrs ago, he got 5-10 yrs in prison and was out in 3 yrs due to good behavior. He then got molested another child 2 yrs later, the cops knew who he was and told him to run, they wanted to shoot him because they knew he would get out again. He did, and god only knows how many other children he has hurt. You can't reeducate someone like this he should be locked away for life.

That is a failure of the system to re habiltate him, I don't believe killing can be morally justified.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, see my last post, for an example, doesn't get much worse than that.
    yup i read it.... i got this from a book on the pros and cons of capital punishment........they have 3 different arguments for each point.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    The problem is that the prison service themselves can be sued.

It's OK giving people just food and a toilet to give them a crap time to me.

But unless you give them gym facilities they can sue for that.

Give them visits, or at least videoconferencing calls, or their family will suffer.

If you don't give them medical help where they need it, that'll cause trouble.

I think re-education is a good thing though, many criminals skived school and need basic skills to get a good job, otherwise their only way to get money will be re-offending. Education a class of people is cheaper than giving them benefits for the rest of their life.
    Which is why I said the prison system and laws that surround it need reworked, prisoners should have no rights therefore no grounds to stand on for a lawsuit, of course they should have medical care and minimal activity, but playing basketball and other sports and watching tv is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Which is why I said the prison system and laws that surround it need reworked, prisoners should have no rights therefore no grounds to stand on for a lawsuit, of course they should have medical care and minimal activity, but playing basketball and other sports and watching tv is ridiculous.
    Lets give them 1hr of activity, couple of meals a day, and be in shared/soiltary confinment for the rest of it. Well that is going to make them want to embrace society.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.