This discussion is closed.
DevilsDoor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Take the case in the UK of the 2 children that murdered Jamie Bulger, they are now released into society with new identities, that shouldnt have been the case, that childs mother has a lifetime to reflect on the brutal murder of her son, his killers should not have been released, even though they were children at the time of the crime, they were still old enough to know right from wrong
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rIcHrD)
A lifetime of torture? arguably.
And you think it's not the same for a child?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DevilsDoor)
Take the case in the UK of the 2 children that murdered Jamie Bulger, they are now released into society with new identities, that shouldnt have been the case, that childs mother has a lifetime to reflect on the brutal murder of her son, his killers should not have been released, even though they were children at the time of the crime, they were still old enough to know right from wrong
That was a sick crime, to be honest, if I ever met them on the street, I would have a clear conscious if I had just beat the **** out of them.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Very good point.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
And you think it's not the same for a child?
That's why it's arguable. It's the same, but different.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They got away with a pretty light sentence.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's why it's arguable.
Fair enough. Would you agree then that the punishment (in most cases) should be equal to the crime?
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's why it's arguable. It's the same, but different.
ok...i HAVE a friend that has been raped...i knew her BEFORE and AFTER the crime....the raper was her STEPFATHER....she was never the same....he also raped her twin brother....she was a cheerleader before, and was a happy bubbly kid.....now she never talks and goes around with an air of a beaten puppy....if a guy trys to talk to her she freaks out and starts to whimper.....SHE DID NOT DESERVE what her stepfather did to her! it was wrong and has scarred her FOR LIFE
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Fair enough. Would you agree then that the punishment (in most cases) should be equal to the crime?
Depends what you want to achieve. For retribution, you need equal or greater, less won't do. For rehabilitation, you need to question what punishment is serving to do. Reverse past events? Or restructure the future? To restructure the future, I don't really see equal punishment helping much.
DevilsDoor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I do, Im not religious, yet an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth does come to mind.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Depends what you want to achiecve. For retribution, you need equal or greater, less won't do. For rehabilitation, you need to question what punishment is serving to do. Reverse past events? Or restructure the future? To restructure the future, I don't really see equal punishment helping much.
Yes, take Milosevic for example. There is no way you can extract retribution from all the atrocities he did during his reign, simply executing him wont be enough to satisfy the victims families.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Yes, take Milosevic for example. There is no way you can extract retribution from all the atrocities he did during his reign, simply executing him wont be enough to satisfy the victims families.
exactly......
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
ok...i HAVE a friend that has been raped...i knew her BEFORE and AFTER the crime....the raper was her STEPFATHER....she was never the same....he also raped her twin brother....she was a cheerleader before, and was a happy bubbly kid.....now she never talks and goes around with an air of a beaten puppy....if a guy trys to talk to her she freaks out and starts to whimper.....SHE DID NOT DESERVE what her stepfather did to her! it was wrong and has scarred her FOR LIFE
Surely I didn't question whether the crime is wrong or not. It's a horrid crime, made even worse by it being family. What happened to her stepfather btw?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Surely I didn't question whether the crime is wrong or not. It's a horrid crime, made even worse by it being family. What happened to her stepfather btw?
hes in prison for 10 years.....and hes up for parole in 4......
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
hes in prison for 10 years.....and hes up for parole in 4......
Hmmph, go figure.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Crime - Punishment

Rape - Slice their testicles off, then force feed them the remains.
Murder - Endless torture for the rest of their natuaral life.
Robbery - Smash each individual finger with a hammer, thereby breaking each tiny and fragile bone.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmph, go figure.
exactly...he'll be out from good behavior in four yrs. most likely......
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Crime - Punishment

Robbery - Smash each individual finger with a hammer, thereby breaking each tiny and fragile bone.
lol!
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Crime - Punishment

Alrighty then.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Crime - Punishment

do you consider shoplifting robbery.....because ive done that before
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads