The Student Room Group

Marriage location

Is it tradition to get married where you live or in the brides hometown, most of the weddings i have been to have taken place close to where the couple live, but lots of people tell me i should be getting married in my hometown (where my parents live). My hometown is a dump, in the arse end of nowhere and there are only two wedding venues to choose from (discounting the church). My boyfriend and i don't currently know where we are going to to end up but we don't want that to dictate where we get married. Has anyone here got married miles away from where they live just cos they wanted the venue of their choice?
It is tradition to get married in the bride's hometown, but surely you can get married wherever you want to?
Reply 2
If you're not getting married in a church, then go for wherever you want. It's your wedding, don't let other people dictate to you.

I think I've only been to one wedding near where the bride lived, and they had the reception at Hatfield House. So :dontknow:
Wow I never heard of this, I thought people just got married at wherever where they both liked :s-smilie:
I'm getting married abroad....Hackney Town Hall is an absolute no-no!

Do what you like, it's YOUR wedding!!
Reply 5
Traditionally it was where the bridge grew up.

But to be honest i dont think it matters nowadays, as lots of people dont even grow up and live in one location anyways. Most people i think get married near to where they live currently.
I would suggest go for a location you both love, it's the main thing- but also somewhere that is suitable for everyone you want to invite to get to for practical reasons.

Latest

Trending

Trending