Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new here as you can probably notice, and I appologise in advance if this is the wrong way to do things on TSR. Anyway I'm very eager to find out what my chosen AS courses are like; in terms of work intensity, work load and work tedium. The courses I have chosen are: Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Economics (refer to my sig). Any help would be greatly appreiciated, thanks.

P.S. For informational purposes Edexcel is my examining body for all courses.

ReputationRep:
    all i can say is that if u've taken bio and chem then u've gotta start workin hard from the beginning. they are not at all easy and only hard work and sheer determination will get u good grades. also if its edexcel then at least eac subject is split into three modules. i dunno bout where u go but my college allow u to retake each module at least once. oh and welcome to :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramy)
    all i can say is that if u've taken bio and chem then u've gotta start workin hard from the beginning. they are not at all easy and only hard work and sheer determination will get u good grades. also if its edexcel then at least eac subject is split into three modules. i dunno bout where u go but my college allow u to retake each module at least once. oh and welcome to :tsr:
    Whoa, people reply very quickly here! Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that you say alot of work is required for biology and chemistry because I think the challange will keep me motivated. The being able to resit each module at least once thing also sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    I did geog a level with edexcel. I found AS quite good because we just did basically what we did at GCSE but just a bit harder. The exam structure is the same as well. Although in A2 it becomes an essay exam. I quite enjoyed the coursework because we got to go on an field trip and you get to choose whether you do human or physical coursework. When it comes to revision there is alot, because you've got to learn three topics for the physical paper and three for the human. If theres nethin else youd like to know just ask

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Economics is heavily geared towards girls in the style of question, i.e. it benefits their memory trends, but that was from my male friend. I was also told that it is monumentally dull, with lots of graph drawing, but that the workload is not too large.

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA B Biology and found it really quite interesting though you really need to know how to answer the questions for exams in order to get the best possible mark; you should definitely work through past papers with markschemes and read examiners reports.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS geog, chem and economics last year and didnt really find them much of a problem. Geog is just almost the same as GCSE, just a slightly different writing style, chem is radically different from GCSE but not impossible - i came into the course 6 weeks late and managed to pick it up pretty well. Economics was prob the most challenging and interesting subject i did - lots of links between different topics, not a lot of maths by any means, graphs are very easy to draw on the whole - does seem a bit daunting when you first start but stick with it and it gets a lot easier! Feel free to PM me if u want ny more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Economics
    Interesting choice of subjects.

What do you intend on doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by np187)
    Interesting choice of subjects.

What do you intend on doing at university?
    I'm torn between Chemistry, Biochemistry and Geography. But hopefully one of those three.

Chemistry is a long shot, as I'm not taking maths. But if I do decide to go in that direction, I've heard that more often than not, a proficient GCSE maths grade will suffice.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.