The Student Room Group

St George's Day Is A Racist "Holiday" And Its Celebration Should Be Banned

I know a lot of you guys are gonna jump on me saying I'm some left wing PC nut. I don't care it has to be said. The celebration of St. George's day in contemporary times is simply a racist, xenophobic thing and represent everything that is wrong with English nationalism/"patriotism". Watch how this year on April 23 the racist thugs such as the BNP and the EDL will lap up St. George's day and celebrate it like nothing else. At the end of the day it like the majority of other English nationalism is just another excuse to put down other ethnicities and nationalities to try and portray a superiority of Englishness. English nationalism as a whole is pretty much a racist thing and represent a subjugation of Irish, of blacks, of indians and of communities all around the road. I have no problem with Welsh or Scottish or Irish nationalism and St Andrews day, St Patricks and St David's are all fine with me because they are genuinley a celebration of their cultures rather than a belittlement of others. Therefore I am seriously against the proposed implementation by some right wing fascists of making St George's day a national holiday and believe that English patriotism should be kept during World Cups and the Ashes where it belongs.

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it's not, but I can't see any point in celebrating it. Being English is nothing to be proud of.
Reply 2
Just because something that is potentially good is abused by an extremist minority doesnt mean that it should be banned.
Reply 3
Gtfo.
Reply 4
Shut the **** up. Seriously.
Reply 5
Good god, you are a left wing PC nut.

A bit of pride in where you belong and celebrating the day where a brave celtic years ago went off and slayed a nasty dragon is not equal to racism. It is a bit rubbish for the dragon folk, but then they lost, we won. We do the same to the Germans every year, so meh.
so because some people will take something in the wrong way it should be stopped?
and do you know why st george was important?
and....he isnt only patron saint of england....
x
Reply 7
English celebration is bad but the rest are ok? You know most of these stories were actually metaphors for the 'good' (christians) taking over the 'bad' (pagans') right?
Oladz
Just because something that is potentially good is abused by an extremist minority doesnt mean that it should be banned.

This

OP this thread won't go well.
Who are you to decide whether we should celebrate it or not? Banning something becasue a few nuts may decide to do something silly, is completely ridiculous. It's sentiments like yours that are putting people off whether or not to fly a flag of St.George or celebrate St. George's day at all. Well bloody hell, I forgot that this is England and its the English that live here...
Reply 10
T.T

Let's just ban everything.
Reply 11
-.-
here we go again
Let them do what they want, just dont suport it yourself?
Muffinz
T.T

Let's just ban everything.

I'm not saying that. But if the basis of something is negative then I think it is imperative that we at least consider banning it
Reply 14
I'm left wing and see nothing wrong with St.Georges day. You mention that people like the BNP e.t.c will 'lap up st. Georges day' and take advantage of it; well why should English people let ***** like that ruin it for them? As long as it is celebrated much in the way that St.Patrick's day is then I see no issue.
Reply 15
So other cultures are allowed to celebrate their culture and heritage but the English aren't?
Erm.. okay so EVERYONE can have their own national holidays and celebrate them as they wish apart from English people??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this make YOU racist?
Is this similar to St. Patrick's Day? :wink:
You didn't put up a very good argument, and I had my doubts before I read it.

Other days should be celebrated, but not St George's? Surely that's a racist comment, especially by your book.

As others have said, just because extremists may use it doesn't mean we can't. Terrorists have used aeroplanes, doesn't mean none of us use them.
Reply 19
Isn't Saint George the one who slayed the dragon? :s-smilie:
I don't get how it's racist... someone please explain.

Latest

Trending

Trending