Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koreb)
    This morinng BBC News said that there was a 97% past rate for A levels this year
    Yes at any A level at any grade, how many people pass all three A levels? How many people fail at AS thus not even getting to A2?

ReputationRep:
    My mum admitted that she couldn't even understand my maths gcse textbook, so how can they claim that A levels are easier?!

Also, getting into good universities is harder, too. My mum got into a top uni to take English with ABD, whereas I will need a minimum of AAB for any of my universities. So the exam may be 'easier' but we need better results for the top courses.

ReputationRep:
    Its all complete BS, I know that at least the maths papers are a lot harder today than they used to be, especially the further maths modules. The physics papers I looked at were just different since the specification has changed, and the topics that were on both sets of papers had questions that were pretty much the same. All that is happening is that students are being taught how to answer questions properly with extensive use of past papers.

And why is the pass rate not 100%, is it that hard to contemplate that every pupil who has decided to go to college and continue to A2 can find 1 A level that they can gain at least an E grade in. The 1980's pass rate just shows how much education has improved over the decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koreb)
    This morinng BBC News said that there was a 97% past rate for A levels this year
    yeah this is because an E grade counts as a pass in official terms :rolleyes:

the whole media circus of results really ticks me off...it's only Monday and I already feel like even if I have four As on Thursday it won't mean anything because A-levels are "easy"

ReputationRep:
    it actually came in the times aswell! as a dedicated times reader i was quite annoyed!
    It also said that 1/4 of girls in the country are expected to recieve 3A's at A2!
    surely thats not right?

but isnt there even more subjects this year then even liek 4 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    I know that at least the maths papers are a lot harder today than they used to be, especially the further maths modules.
    That simply isn't the case.

It also said that 1/4 of girls in the country are expected to recieve 3A's at A2!
    I very much doubt that; I'm sure it meant that 1/4 of female subject entries are expected to receive an A at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I think A-Levels are easy - especially the sciences. Stuff we had to cover, isn't taught until university now.

Also, one little thing makes studying infinitely easier...

...it's called the internet. Wasn't there when I did my A-Levels. you were stuck with whatever ***** text book your school subscribed to a little more.
    Exactly,i mean discussion on forums/internet search,that makes your brain like more open to new ideas,than it used to by discussing the syllubus with another students with different ways of thinking :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    That simply isn't the case.
    In my opinion it is and was, having worked through pretty much all of the 80's papers for revision I found the newer papers to be more of a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    I think the nature of exams have changed and therefore as pass rates increase and more people gain A grades we naturally look for an explanation. As a country we are obsessed with focusing on negatives, we see very little in a positive light.

Personally, however, I think exams have become easier, but not to the extent of an old E grade being the equivalent to a 'B'. A 'B' is a very high grade at A level. An E has never been a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binternet)
    In my opinion it is and was, having worked through pretty much all of the 80's papers for revision I found the newer papers to be more of a challenge.
    The Edexcel June 2005 p2/p3/p4/p5/p6 exams were quite simple yet I remember looking at past questions in one of my rather old textbooks and they looked rather harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    The Edexcel June 2005 p2/p3/p4/p5/p6 exams were quite simple yet I remember looking at past questions in one of my rather old textbooks and they looked rather harder.
    Could be the case with Edexcel, I studied OCR. From the 80's papers I studied the earlier questions seemed to be more simple in design, while the later questions were on par with what is set today in terms of difficluty.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its A Levels that are getting easier, I think it's more people have it drummed into them how important education is, so they try harder and aim higher, and so achieve more. Also years ago there were no computers, internets, as much research, and people weren't expected to go to Uni, so it seems clear that as a results their A Level grades would be poorer, does it not?

What really annoys me this time of year, is that after people have spent 2 years of their lives, studying for their A Levels, and spent so much time working hard, studying, reading, revising and that, then some people have the cheek to say A Levels are easier! Don't they think about how this will make the people who have worked so hard to do so well, feel? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i do think that there is possibly something wrong with the examination and marking system - i hate saying this, considering the grades that i need to get on thursday - but i'm not sure it's right to have the number of A-grade passes that we have nowadays.

HOWEVER, i would strongly disagree with anyone who says that this means the a-levels themselves are getting easier. look at the content we have to study - my parents are pretty conservative and do enjoy a chance to point out how screwed up our system is nowadays, yet both of them, having seen assignments that i've been set, admit that the work we do nowadays is harder than anything they ever did. even my old head of english (who was, by all accounts, a tosser, and who liked nothing better than to make sweeping generalisations about sheltered middle-class kids) said that in his day, english a-level questions were simply glorified character studies - today we have to make sophisticated judgments about texts and ideas.

fair enough, our education system is going downhill - but i'm just so sick of the media and the older generations pointing at today's youth and saying that we're getting stupider (as well as fatter, lazier, ruder and more inclined to commit crimes). the simple fact is that the government is failing our education system, and then is blaming us for apparently becoming less intelligent. i've never heard such **** in my life - how many adults do you know who can barely switch a computer on, let alone do half the stuff our generation can manage (hackers and virus creators included)? it's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Lets listen to the people at The Sun, the majority of reader's who barely passed a GCSE. Lets listen to them so they can feel good about their failures in life.

Whether A levels are easier or not, at the end of it all, you can only do whats in front of you. How the media have the nerve to belittle young people's achievements in this way is shameful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Lets listen to the people at The Sun, the majority of reader's who barely passed a GCSE. Lets listen to them so they can feel good about their failures in life.

Whether A levels are easier or not, at the end of it all, you can only do whats in front of you. How the media have the nerve to belittle young people's achievements in this way is shameful...
    Hahahahaha, very true. Its amazing to think that people who haven't even taken "equivalent" examinations will look at us and basically tell us we're stupid.

Who cares if lots of ppl get A's, that's good for them. Get off our backs! Make the tests harder; we'll just adapt and learn to pass them.

ReputationRep:
    *seething*

ReputationRep:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm not going to say anything else- I've said it all already in other threads on this, but I am contemplating sending the Sun's letters page an angry email!

ReputationRep:
    The Dreary Torygraph cannot be trusted, nor can many newspapers, nor can the BBC (they're basically the government's lapdogs).

It's ridiculous that the British press can't even distinguish between "More People Getting A-grades" and "Exams getting Easier". They are two completely different things.

Yes - perhaps the amount of A's awarded is rising, but so too is the average intelligence quotient of the youth nation.

But then again, it's not surprising that the press can't distinguish... they were all educated back then .

ReputationRep:
    so too is the average intelligence quotient of the youth nation.
    Could I ask what is your evidence for this statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    The Dreary Torygraph cannot be trusted, nor can many newspapers, nor can the BBC (they're basically the government's lapdogs).
    Perhaps then, the BBC are a part of the governments strategy to get more people into university? If people think A levels are easy, then it'll encourage more people to do them, thus getting to universty, resulting in an even more educated population?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.