Turn on thread page Beta

normal eating habits? [WARNING: potential trigger] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    hmmm,well I suffer from this paranoida thingie,sometimes I feel I don't eat enough,for example today I put somerice we had some guests and dinner...etc,I asked what might happen if you exercise and not eat enough,I was told you'd get overtraning where you don't get any benifit at all,so I ate some rice and a salad and it wasn't much yet I felt extreamly guilty for hsaving dinner,I was hungry after lets say 4 hours,and ate a peach just now a small one ,and yet now I feel exreamly guilty I snack on fruits alot,really alot,specially between meals
    Has it ever occurred to you that if you had larger meals then you wouldn't feel the need to snack so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    Has it ever occurred to you that if you had larger meals then you wouldn't feel the need to snack so much?
    it's that i feel full pretty quickly i can get my self to eat more than 1 cup of rice or less at lunch*main meal* or 2 toasts at dinner/breakfast..I feel soo full after that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    It's been quite a pain in H&R with eating threads...because often most of them can be triggering.

As much as I want to read and see if I can be of any help...I'm kinda scared to be triggered myself.
    There is an answer to that and it's a VB Code:

This may be triggering:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I feel faaaaaaaaaat (no, I do, actually)

More details here.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc...bbcode#spoiler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leisure17)
    Aren't there any self-help groups (like AA for ED, I know they exist!) you could join?
    You ought to be nice to yourself!! :knuddel:
    You mean OA - that deals with all EDs, despite its name. However, many people object to the application of the addiction model to EDs. (Dr Christopher Fairburn, for example).

ReputationRep:
    what is "triggering"?

Is it like saying something that will start someone off on some mad unhealthy eating habit? like *warning..* I love eating chocolate, its so yummy.?

I dont get how that can have any effect, unless you have lost all self control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    what is "triggering"?

Is it like saying something that will start someone off on some mad unhealthy eating habit? like *warning..* I love eating chocolate, its so yummy.?

I dont get how that can have any effect, unless you have lost all self control.
    People with eating disorders often have a lack of self control...and can be very vulnerable and sensitive to particular comments / pictures etc.

triggering things can include:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ie. I lost 10 lbs!! - this can lead to competition or self-guilt of not having lost 10 lbs

or

a picture of a super model / an overly obese person

"triggering" is usually something that leads to a person having negative feelings and vulnerable to engaging a binge / inappropriate conpensatory behavious etc. afterwards. depending on how bad the eating disorder of a person is, some things might be more triggering to a person than another.

ReputationRep:
    Or if someone says,

Spoiler:
    Show
    'I only ate 500 calories today.'
    or 'I weigh 80 pounds and I'm 5 foot 7, am I fat?'

Well those were probably a bit over the top, but you get the idea.

There was a thread a while back where everybody posted their weight and height. IMO that was quite triggering. Most people that posted weigh, I'm sure, less than the average person, but since they were in the majority, they made me feel overweight (although on the rational level I know that my weight is considered 'normal').

Or maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoVet)
    Or if someone says,

Spoiler:
    Show
    'I only ate 500 calories today.'
    or 'I weigh 80 pounds and I'm 5 foot 7, am I fat?'

Well those were probably a bit over the top, but you get the idea.

There was a thread a while back where everybody posted their weight and height. IMO that was quite triggering. Most people that posted weigh, I'm sure, less than the average person, but since they were in the majority, they made me feel overweight (although on the rational level I know that my weight is considered 'normal').

Or maybe I'm just overly sensitive.
    :hugs:

i know what you mean. and as unhealthy as this might sound -

Spoiler:
    Show
    i can't stand being in the reference / chart normal weight range. i can't stand being over 110 lbs. and i was having a HORRIBLE time week or so before when i kept on gaining weight...and was scared if it was fat as opposed to muscles. i know now it's probably just muscle mass...but...seeing myself being over 110 lbs on the scale puts me off EVERY SINGLE morning. and it sux big time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    :hugs:

i know what you mean. and as unhealthy as this might sound -

Spoiler:
    Show
    i can't stand being in the reference / chart normal weight range. i can't stand being over 110 lbs. and i was having a HORRIBLE time week or so before when i kept on gaining weight...and was scared if it was fat as opposed to muscles. i know now it's probably just muscle mass...but...seeing myself being over 110 lbs on the scale puts me off EVERY SINGLE morning. and it sux big time.
    ok I'm kinda like this,but the thing is that I eat well

ReputationRep:
    ok I'm kinda like this,but the thing is that I eat well
    Or not.

Folks, I'm really sorry if you find all these threads triggering, and from now on I am trying to put warnings in them. However, we can't take responsibility for you the whole time, so IF you feel a thread will be triggering, I have to ask YOU to exercise your choice over whether or not to enter. I can't spend my life creating spoiler boxes which you'll probably click on anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Or not.

Folks, I'm really sorry if you find all these threads triggering, and from now on I am trying to put warnings in them. However, we can't take responsibility for you the whole time, so IF you feel a thread will be triggering, I have to ask YOU to exercise your choice over whether or not to enter. I can't spend my life creating spoiler boxes which you'll probably click on anyway.
    I didn't see anyone suggest that you should 'spend your life creating spoiler boxes'.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Or not.

why did you quote me.
    I don't find them triggering, these threads intrests me.
    I was refering to the muscle weight thingie, thats all I'm not anorexic anyway nor have the intention to be.

ReputationRep:
    why did you quote me.
    I don't find them triggering, these threads intrests me.
    I was refering to the muscle weight thingie, thats all I'm not anorexic anyway nor have the intention to be.
    I quoted you for saying you eat healthily - to which my reply was "or not."

BellaCat - nobody has suggested it, but with the number of people saying they find this thread triggering (and then proceeding to make it even more so themselves), I can't help but think I should be doing something.

ReputationRep:
    Or not.

Agreed. Some of the threads with "eating problems" etc. as the heading...I basically avoided looking at them. If I do happen to enter a thread I eventually find contains stuff that starts to trigger me, I immediately leave it and try to distract myself with something else to...well...forget about it.

And a lot of times...I find it quite hard to resist clicking on the spoiler boxes. I'm a rather nosy person. So...I just leave the thread and go to the backroom. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I quoted you for saying you eat healthily - to which my reply was "or not."

BellaCat - nobody has suggested it, but with the number of people saying they find this thread triggering (and then proceeding to make it even more so themselves), I can't help but think I should be doing something.
    I wasn't criticising the moderator (whoever he/she is at this moment in time). I suggested spoilering because this seems to be the convention for most support groups on the net (initiated by Usenet support groups). The problem is that this forum is a tad disparate - a bit of everything really. Maybe emulating other fora, such as D&D and Entertainmet - forums within forums devoted to particular disorders (that prmarily affect students) would be a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    I wasn't criticising the moderator (whoever he/she is at this moment in time). I suggested spoilering because this seems to be the convention for most support groups on the net (initiated by Usenet support groups). The problem is that this forum is a tad disparate - a bit of everything really. Maybe emulating other fora, such as D&D and Entertainmet - forums within forums devoted to particular disorders (that prmarily affect students) would be a good idea!
    i dont think so, it will be full of people going "today i have eaten an orange and weighed myself 7 times, etc" just like they do in individual threads, i dont think any advice in a subforum would be more helpful or less triggering. and i really dont think a person with a compulsive disorder would be able to resist reading stuff like that if they tried. this site isnt a support group and it must be really hard for the mods to try to keep people from harming themselves even though its not really their job to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    i dont think so, it will be full of people going "today i have eaten an orange and weighed myself 7 times, etc" just like they do in individual threads, i dont think any advice in a subforum would be more helpful or less triggering. and i really dont think a person with a compulsive disorder would be able to resist reading stuff like that if they tried. this site isnt a support group and it must be really hard for the mods to try to keep people from harming themselves even though its not really their job to do so.
    Is it not?
    I've always gained the impression that it was.
    And no one's contradicted me when I labelled it thus.
    And if it's not a 'support' forum, then, what is it?

The scenario you describe above is typical of a 'weightloss' forum.'

The fact remains: 'spoilering' to protect others is AN INTERNET CONVENTION. Get it!

ReputationRep:
    Is it not?
    I've always gained the impression that it was.
    And no one's contradicted me when I labelled it thus.
    And if it's not a 'support' forum, then, what is it?

The scenario you describe above is typical of a 'weightloss' forum.'

The fact remains: 'spoilering' to protect others is AN INTERNET CONVENTION. Get it!
    well i dont think the moderators should feel guilty if people are triggered by what they read, but i think they probably do and therefore go to lengths to minimise this. but i dont think it should be their responsability.

i would call this more a discussion forum than a support forum, thats my oppinion. i think it is a forum to discuss matters relating to health and relationships, people may offer support and advice but that was not why the whole TSR forum was made.

AND I KNOW SPOILERING IS AN INTERNET CONVENTION, no need to shout it at me, but people still read them, people are curious, and if you have the urge to know what something says you will read it. this goes for the storyline in a film or something that might trigger you to harm your health. you can spoiler all you want but people who shouldnt will still read them. ultimately that is their responsability. i was just saying i dont think a subforum for particular disorders like you suggested would be particularly helpful. get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    well i dont think the moderators should feel guilty if people are triggered by what they read, but i think they probably do and therefore go to lengths to minimise this. but i dont think it should be their responsability.

i would call this more a discussion forum than a support forum, thats my oppinion. i think it is a forum to discuss matters relating to health and relationships, people may offer support and advice but that was not why the whole TSR forum was made.

AND I KNOW SPOILERING IS AN INTERNET CONVENTION, no need to shout it at me, but people still read them, people are curious, and if you have the urge to know what something says you will read it. this goes for the storyline in a film or something that might trigger you to harm your health. you can spoiler all you want but people who shouldnt will still read them. ultimately that is their responsability. i was just saying i dont think a subforum for particular disorders like you suggested would be particularly helpful. get it!
    When did I suggest that moderators should feel guilt? I suggested spoilering because it was an internet convention and if you rread my posts I stated that I didn't hold the mods responsible.

I suggest you look at the reason for the establishment of the forum.

I shall withdraw from this thread now as my originally pure intentions have clearly (and I suspect deliberately) beem misinterpreted.

ReputationRep:
    When did I suggest that moderators should feel guilt? I suggested spoilering because it was an internet convention and if you rread my posts I stated that I didn't hold the mods responsible.
    I didnt say you did, i was just saying that i think this is maybe what the moderators might feel. they might not, but this is what i would if i was a moderator. at no point in my posts did i mean to say that you personally think that the mods are responsible for any harm that people cause themselves from reading this forum and should therefore feel guilt, sorry if you thought that was what i was implying.

I suggest you look at the reason for the establishment of the forum.
    will do.

edit: have done. it says

This forum is here mainly for people to ask for and give advice. By all means, post your opinions on health/relationship related issues, information on relevant current issues, and any questions you might have, but please take care to note the following:

● When asking for advice, please note that we don’t know everything. We're here only to provide suggestions and a little bit of insight. This is not NHS direct.
    so while people can advice, this is not an actual professional service or designated support group.

I shall withdraw from this thread now as my originally pure intentions have clearly (and I suspect deliberately) beem misinterpreted.
    cant speak for everyone but i was just disagreeing with what you say, which happens sometimes on internet discussion forums, which i thought is what TSR is.

however, when re-reading the reasons for establishment of the forum, i also saw

● Health and Relationship threads can be of a sensitive nature. They also [as you may have noticed] have a tendency to degenerate into complete crap if you don’t keep to the topic/subject at hand. So please stick to the subject.
    and i feel this is what is happenining here, so...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.