Turn on thread page Beta

This takes place in California.

I am just going to give the facts.

- My grandfather was admitted to the hospital from a heart attack.
    - Grandmother requested for him to not be intubated.
    - They ignored her, and did it anyway.
    - They claim that there was nothing in the file saying he had a DNR order, but it was in the file and his personal physician put it there.
    - An eeg was done on monday and they did not read it until tuesday.
    - 2 days later they find DNR order.
    - Refused to take him off life support until eeg was read.
    - Tuesday, a new doctor was requested. The request was denied. We never layed eyes on the docter. He told us over the phone on tuesday that he would read the eeg on wednesday and make a decision then.
    - My mother and father flew out from Ohio to see him before he died.
    - My mother and grandmother requested him to be taken off of life support.
    - 2 days went by before he was taken off of life support.
    - Hospital fees total $21,500.

I have heard that in some cases fees were tripled as compensation for pain and suffering. This would total $64,500. How much total money is it possible to ask for as a settlement. The hospital has already started to gather there information because we have found that they are expecting a suit. I was wondering in your opinion what is the maximum amount of money we should ask for and if this goes iinto a legal ordeal how much should we propose in court.

Thank you in advance. (I am doing this research for my family.)

Seems like a fairly technical case, so best to look for legal precedent.

But generally, ask for the amount that will get you the most money. Money is good.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.