The Student Room Group

DO your parents make you feel real guilty?

Im not sure how to take this but today my mum said im a dissapointment and athletics was on tv and because ive been attending athletics for 7 years she said ' I thought you were gonna become a star' and my dad was like 'I know I did' lol im not even that good at sport etc.
They wern't joking either ive known theyve always thought I was good so Ive always thought im dissapointing them. They thought theyd be 'living in a mansion' lol but theyve made me feel guilty even though theres probably no reason to I mean theyve always bought me stuff and now im 19 with no job and cant give them anything back.
Reply 1
Get a job and then go to sainsburys because theres like a 3 for 2 dvd offer on at the moment. Idealy get a job in sainsburys because well hey staff discount.

Sorted.
Reply 2
_Jax_
Get a job and then go to sainsburys because theres like a 3 for 2 dvd offer on at the moment. Idealy get a job in sainsburys because well hey staff discount.

Sorted.

:eek: I must apply, lol, I might do actually Ive heard its good pay.
Reply 3
Is it important to you not to be a disappointment to your parents?

If the answer is yes talk it over with them, ask what they expect from you. It should be something achievable not something nobody can do. Then think about whether you want to do it /can do it.

If the answer is no, well what the hell, then go and please yourself. Whallowing in selfpity won't get you anywhere, but i must admit it does sound a bit hard to be told you are a disappointment. I guess that was not the first opportunity for such remarks.
Reply 4
alio~
:eek: I must apply, lol, I might do actually Ive heard its good pay.

I get £6.20 per hour. But i have been there three years :frown:
Reply 5
Anyway, in response to your message I think you should talk to them about it if their comments are bothering you a lot. It might help to explain how it makes you feel etc. Your parents should be encouraging you and supporting you in whatever you choose to do. Start to look for a job and see what is available. I'm sure there are options out there.
Reply 6
Clare1986
I get £6.20 per hour. But i have been there three years :frown:

I work at Sainsbury's! I get £5.76/hour, and only been there 4 months. Feel like i get paid a lot for what i do, although i do get up at unearthly hours every Saturday and Sunday.
Reply 7
My parents always say "go get a job and help youself", but i believe that study is more important than job.. so id rather not work and concentrate on my studies get good grades and earn good amounts of cash. Rather than getting low grades and have trouble finding a very decent job. Yeah my mum calls me a lazy bum...
Reply 8
nasht
My parents always say "go get a job and help youself", but i believe that study is more important than job.. so id rather not work and concentrate on my studies get good grades and earn good amounts of cash. Rather than getting low grades and have trouble finding a very decent job. Yeah my mum calls me a lazy bum...

It's about striking a balance. You should be able to have a part time job and still get good grades. Theres no excuse for not trying to get a job over the summer holidays. That's just plain lazy. I know people who managed 5 A's in their AS levels and still had part time jobs.
Reply 9
nasht

i know what you mean, there isnt enough hours in the day. I worked my arse off to get moved onto the degree. I dont think i would of managed it if i had been working part time as well. Im not lazy though, i help out at home and at my grandads when im not studying. But i just dont think i could handle the stress of work while studying full time. I could of got a summer job, but with the year ive had i deserve some time off.
Reply 10
Glory
i know what you mean, there isnt enough hours in the day. I worked my arse off to get moved onto the degree. I dont think i would of managed it if i had been working part time as well. Im not lazy though, i help out at home and at my grandads when im not studying. But i just dont think i could handle the stress of work while studying full time. I could of got a summer job, but with the year ive had i deserve some time off.

I don't currently work, not even part time :frown:

I'm 17 and finding it hard to find a job, but people in my class have part time jobs. I feel like I'm missing out alot.

Does your job give you like a confidence boost or self-satisfaction?
Reply 11
Ramsy
I don't currently work, not even part time :frown:

I'm 17 and finding it hard to find a job, but people in my class have part time jobs. I feel like I'm missing out alot.

Does your job give you like a confidence boost or self-satisfaction?

i think you need to re read my post. I dont work at all at the moment, because uni has been a stressful and tiredsome year, ive had to study extra hard and put alot more time in than most first year students. I guess the result of the hard work is shown in my grades.

I have a placement year in 12 months time, so ill be out in the world of work during my third year earning some cash.
Reply 12
I'm 17, I've worked since I was 15.

In response to your post, Ramsy: it's satisfying because you suddenly have an income, and can afford to buy dvd's, shoes, gig tickets etc. You gain a lot more independence, can save up for holidays etc. Its work though, so its hardly going to be a party but you can enjoy it. If you work in retail (like me) then you do gain quite a bit of confidence and its not really very boring.

I was never worried that a job would cut into my studies. Ok, so I don't study hard but if I did, I'd still only be working one saturday per week anyway.
Reply 13
tut.. u think thats bad??
my mum told me this week that she preferred my sister to me :eek: (and apparently my dad prefers her a lot more).. RUDE!!
they sometimes do...its out of expectations that are dashed. I mean....it'll take sometime for them to understand that u have ur own interests. so relax...and also...watever they say..listen, smile and ignore! tats wat i do ! :rolleyes:
Reply 15
My dad makes me feel guilty for living under his roof and even feeding me. How bad does that sound?

Latest

Trending

Trending