Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any international law that says how much land you need to have a state? Or can you have a state (like Malta for example) whith little land. If what they want is a state, why don't they make it. Then get an official army and then after thay are doing well fight for the territory?
    you need the support of a super power eg

when you kick the original inhabitants off there going to try and stop you !! so you must have massive backing so that you can enslave them !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bashment)

when you kick the original inhabitants off there going to try and stop you !! so you must have massive backing so that you can enslave them !!
    Like how the Turks enslaved the Arabs, Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, and Serbs, or how the Arabs enslaved the Egyptians and Berbers?

ReputationRep:
    Like how the Turks enslaved the Arabs, Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, and Serbs, or how the Arabs enslaved the Egyptians and Berbers?
    but all got there land back except the palestinians !!

ReputationRep:

What? Can't you keep the original inhabitants in?
    The slavery thing is a joke, right?

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the Berbers, Copts, Greeks, and Armenians.

ReputationRep:
    i Knows its going off the subject a bit, but if you want to know about how small a state can be- http://www.citizensrequired.com/lmg/site/index.shtml

ReputationRep:
    I need a fund your own state for dummies Could someone studying IR or something like that explain it to me?

1st you get a territory, right? like buy an island with permision to fund a state or something like that.
    2nd you get a poplulation, but if you claim to be a stateless nation presumably you alredy have that.
    3rd I'd get a constitution so everyone doesn't fight all the time
    4th I'll get a flag and palt it on my territory
    5th I'l talk to all countries to see who wants to recognize me as a state, maybe give them somethingg in exchange for it.
    6th I'd try to get into the UN and maybe sign some more treaties

What am I missing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anabelle)
    I need a fund your own state for dummies Could someone studying IR or something like that explain it to me?

1st you get a territory, right? like buy an island with permision to fund a state or something like that.
    2nd you get a poplulation, but if you claim to be a stateless nation presumably you alredy have that.
    3rd I'd get a constitution so everyone doesn't fight all the time
    4th I'll get a flag and palt it on my territory
    5th I'l talk to all countries to see who wants to recognize me as a state, maybe give them somethingg in exchange for it.
    6th I'd try to get into the UN and maybe sign some more treaties

What am I missing?
    Do u want to start a new thread on this (setting up a state)?

ReputationRep:
    It's much simpler than that. Conquer a piece of territory. Make sure that no one within or outside of your territory can take it away from you. And then proclaim your independence. If the first two conditions are met, chances are the last one will be met as well (though perhaps not immediately).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspian)
    Do u want to start a new thread on this (setting up a state)?
    Good idea, thank you I just did.

The question is what are the palestinians waiting for?
    If some guy on the internet can do it, I'm sure they can.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me the address to that thread please?

If only this conflict could be solved by the creation of a virtual state! : (

ReputationRep:
    To be fair the annexisation of Gaza, the West Bank and the Golan heights by the Isrealis after the '67 was a fair play on Isreal's part to try and force long-term negotiations. They took over the land and said you can have it back when you're willing to talk about this, the Arab nations gave them the proverbial finger and so Isreal stayed. the palistinians didn't get their land back because the poeple they'd trusted administration to were too arrogant to come to the negotiating table.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair the annexisation of Gaza, the West Bank and the Golan heights by the Isrealis after the '67 was a fair play on Isreal's part to try and force long-term negotiations. They took over the land and said you can have it back when you're willing to talk about this, the Arab nations gave them the proverbial finger and so Isreal stayed. the palistinians didn't get their land back because the poeple they'd trusted administration to were too arrogant to come to the negotiating table.
    incorrect egypt tried for 6 years to get there land back through peaceful negotiations at the UN etc and israel continuously refused !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    To be a Zionist is to support the existence of a homeland for the Jews. If you're not a Zionist you support the destruction of Israel. Do you support the destruction of Israel?
    You never answered my question Bash. I'm not letting you off the hook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspian)

Yes, Indigenous peoples. Indigenous does not mean of Indian origin it simply means, a regions native peoples.
    They don't like to be called that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    You never answered my question Bash. I'm not letting you off the hook.
    To be a Zionist is to support the existence of a homeland for the Jews. If you're not a Zionist you support the destruction of Israel. Do you support the destruction of Israel?

Well no, not necessarily. It means you do not support its existence, not that you support its destruction. (EDIT: I'm not Bash by the way )

ReputationRep:
    incorrect egypt tried for 6 years to get there land back through peaceful negotiations at the UN etc and israel continuously refused !!
    So they decided to form a grand Arab alliance and invade Israel from all sides on the holiest days in the Jewish calendar! Such peaceful people, aren't they :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Well no, not necessarily. It means you do not support its existence, not that you support its destruction. (EDIT: I'm not Bash by the way )
    I cant believe you even bothered to play that game with carl !

So they decided to form a grand Arab alliance and invade Israel from all sides on the holiest days in the Jewish calendar! Such peaceful people, aren't they
    Just as israel surprise attacked egypt in 67 egypt returned the favour and was able to defeat the israelis.

ReputationRep:
    Just as israel surprise attacked egypt in 67 egypt returned the favour and was able to defeat the israelis.
    Are you going to keep on repeating this until it becomes true? I suppose the Soviet Union won the Cold War as well, but it decided to destroy itself because it was so nice and didn't want to offend the Americans?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to keep on repeating this until it becomes true? I suppose the Soviet Union won the Cold War as well, but it decided to destroy itself because it was so nice and didn't want to offend the Americans?
    you refuse to accept that israel could have been defeated i bet you think that israel won when it illegally invaded lebanon too !!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.