Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Do you want to remind us who it was that was holding these people in dungeons? Hint: it wasn't the Europeans.
    Are you asking me to tell you who build Cape Coast Castle in Ghana, the oldest European building in West Africa? Where the slave dungeon is directly beneath the oldest Anglican church in Africa? How about Elmina Castle, another dungeon...built by the good ol' Swedes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I find it a bloody ridiculous statistic. Most of the African slaves ended in the US and there are only 36 million blacks in the US today. I should have thought that their numbers would multiply, not half.
    I didn't say 60 million made it to the Americas. 60 million were taken. Aprox 20 million died, the remaining 40 million made it to MANY countries, not just America. In case you don't know, descendents of slaves live in North, Central, and South America, including the Caribbean. Brazil has the largest population of black people outside of Africa. So yes, 40 million could have made it to the AMERICAS (not America), although not all of those people survived to reproduce.

I have heard this number in African history classes, by the way. Of course it is an estimate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Are you sure? All the estimates I've heard claim closer to 6 million.
    A number absolutely dwarfed by the present number of 200 million in bondage, mainly in Africa. :rolleyes:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/slavery1.html

ReputationRep:
    I find the 6 million jew figure also absurb.

ReputationRep:
    A number absolutely dwarfed by the present number of 200 million in bondage, mainly in Africa. :rolleyes:

I cannot believe people are arguing with me when I said there should be a memorial to slavery in the UK! What is wrong with that? Are you guys just argumentative, or do you really think that there should be no recognition of slavery? There's a Holocaust Museum in the US, and the US didn't even commit those crimes. It's lessons of history people. God...I'm not accusing you British people not of being slave owners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    I didn't say 60 million made it to the Americas. 60 million were taken. Aprox 20 million died, the remaining 40 million made it to MANY countries, not just America. In case you don't know, descendents of slaves live in North, Central, and South America, including the Caribbean. Brazil has the largest population of black people outside of Africa. So yes, 40 million could have made it to the AMERICAS (not America), although not all of those people survived to reproduce.

I have heard this number in African history classes, by the way. Of course it is an estimate.
    African history classes? They're bound not to be politicized in America aren't they? :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in speculative estimates. I want hard statistics. Mind you, why am I not surprized to find a Berkeley student more reliant on knee jerk emotional reactionism that fact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Britzan)
    I dont think anyone who has posted on this thread is actually a descendant of a slave. I am a descendant of slaves. SLAVERY REMOVED AFRICANS IDENTITY.
    I am getting sick of these kind of 'we should get over and forget it all happened' attitude. Anglo Saxon folk will not understand as they have never been the underdog to another. Throughout history..Jews, Blacks, Gypsies and the Irish amongst others were oppressed by 'Great' Britain whilst the British profited. The same people that fought WW2 posted the 'NO DOGS, NO BLACKS NO IRISH' signs up and discriminated against my grandparents generation-not much different to how the Nazis treated the Jews. And history programming glorifies these people for winning victory in the face of evil.mmmm.
    You forget that Great Britain also helped end slavery permanently. I think the fact that you are a free citizen today is reparation enough. And why should you benefit at great cost to the taxpayer for suffering that you didn't experience?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe people are arguing with me when I said there should be a memorial to slavery in the UK! What is wrong with that? Are you guys just argumentative, or do you really think that there should be no recognition of slavery? There's a Holocaust Museum in the US, and the US didn't even commit those crimes. It's lessons of history people. God...I'm not accusing you British people not of being slave owners.
    Slavery was abolished by the UK almost 200 years ago. The Holocaust is completely different since it's recent history. Why not have a memorial to all the Christians that were fed to lions by the Romans?

ReputationRep:
    I bet those poor sods wish the British Empire was still around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    I bet those poor sods wish the British Empire was still around.
    I bet they do.

ReputationRep:
    African history classes? They're bound not to be politicized in America aren't they? :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in speculative estimates. I want hard statistics. Mind you, why am I not surprized to find a Berkeley student more reliant on knee jerk emotional reactionism that fact?
    Wouldn't know Howard. I go to Stanford.

ReputationRep:
    Slavery was abolished by the UK almost 200 years ago. The Holocaust is completely different since it's recent history. Why not have a memorial to all the Christians that were fed to lions by the Romans?
    Recent history for how long?... do you think the Jews in the american government will even let the world forget that "6 millon" died...

I'd rather not keep remembering because I had nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:

BTW I took a class on imperialism in the UK when I studied abroad at Oxford, and my prof refused to discuss the idea that race had anything to do with Britain's treatment of its African colonies. Is that politicized? Please, tell me what you think.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite as "right on" as Berkeley then?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like a memorial for the Abolition movement and the Christian missionaries. There were lot of heroes, white and black.

ReputationRep:
    BTW I took a class on imperialism in the UK when I studied abroad at Oxford, and my prof refused to discuss the idea that race had anything to do with Britain's treatment of its African colonies. Is that politicized? Please, tell me what you think.
    Pah! One professor? I don't know how you even dare use the opinions of one man and try to reconcile that against the overwhelming bias and historical sleights of hand that are so prevalent in the American educational system.

ReputationRep:
    I find it a bloody ridiculous statistic. Most of the African slaves ended in the US and there are only 36 million blacks in the US today. I should have thought that their numbers would multiply, not half.
    That few blacks today? I thought they would account for at least a third, the way in which they seem to dominate mainstream American culture. Still I've never been to the states so its just the view of an outsider.

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking me to tell you who build Cape Coast Castle in Ghana, the oldest European building in West Africa? Where the slave dungeon is directly beneath the oldest Anglican church in Africa? How about Elmina Castle, another dungeon...built by the good ol' Swedes?
    Those exceptions simply prove the rule. Do you deny that the vast majority of African slaves were enslaved by fellow Africans?

Furthermore, why aren't you asking for an apology from the Arabs, who enslaved 14 million Africans (according to the same people that claim that the Europeans enslaved 50-60 million)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    That few blacks today? I thought they would account for at least a third, the way in which they seem to dominate mainstream American culture. Still I've never been to the states so its just the view of an outsider.
    12% of Americans are blacks (roughly 36 million). In case you were wondering, 13% of Americans are Hispanic (roughly 40 milion).

ReputationRep:
    Pah! One professor? I don't know how you even dare use the opinions of one man and try to reconcile that against the overwhelming bias and historical sleights of hand that are so prevalent in the American educational system.
    Pah! One Stanford student! How dare you use her experiences in a few African history classes to claim that the American educational system is biased and flawed.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.