Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    I cannot believe people are arguing with me when I said there should be a memorial to slavery in the UK! What is wrong with that? Are you guys just argumentative, or do you really think that there should be no recognition of slavery? There's a Holocaust Museum in the US, and the US didn't even commit those crimes. It's lessons of history people. God...I'm not accusing you British people not of being slave owners.
    Yeah but we all know about the US Jewish lobby.....

And slaves always existed, before Britain even became a country. Very few people in the UK are affected by slavery now, and IMO it would be a waste of taxpayers money and only really justified by political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    That few blacks today? I thought they would account for at least a third, the way in which they seem to dominate mainstream American culture. Still I've never been to the states so its just the view of an outsider.
    13% as of 2002 and falling as quickly as their birth rate. The Latinos are now the largest minority in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Pah! One Stanford student! How dare you use her experiences in a few African history classes to claim that the American educational system is biased and flawed.
    I have yet to see a single ethnic studies class that wasn't incredibly biased and politicized, and that wasn't taught by a Marxist or dependency theorist.

ReputationRep:
    Pah! One Stanford student! How dare you use her experiences in a few African history classes to claim that the American educational system is biased and flawed.
    I know it's biased and flawed because of the utter garbage that comes out of my daughter's mouth after a day of "education" in one of America's fine state junior schools.

ReputationRep:
    My family made their money on the slave trade, and whilst it is slightly odious, I am not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I have yet to see a single ethnic studies class that wasn't incredibly biased and politicized, and that wasn't taught by a Marxist or dependency theorist.
    African history is not ethnic studies. Do you call European History ethnic studies? They're taught by historians, of many theoretical backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    African history is not ethnic studies. Do you call European History ethnic studies? They're taught by historians, of many theoretical backgrounds.
    African studies is taught exclusively by left wing liberal "intellectuals" with scant regard for historical fact; hence your argument is peppered with unsubstantiated "guestimates" and little else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I know it's biased and flawed because of the utter garbage that comes out of my daughter's mouth after a day of "education" in one of America's fine state junior schools.
    What the hell is a state junior school? A middle school? Junior high? A junior college? I have no idea what you mean, sorry.
    But, see, I attend a university. It's actually a pretty decent one. So comparing my experience to your daughter's is just ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    African studies is taught exclusively by left wing liberal "intellectuals" with scant regard for historical fact; hence your argument is peppered with unsubstantiated "guestimates" and little else.
    When you get a chance, please look up on of my profs, Larry Diamond. He works at the Hoover Institute, a conservative think tank at Stanford where Condoleezza Rice used to work. Let me know if he's a left wing liberal. He's one of Stanford's leading Africanists.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is a state junior school? A middle school? Junior high? A junior college? I have no idea what you mean, sorry.
    But, see, I attend a university. It's actually a pretty decent one. So comparing my experience to your daughter's is just ludicrous.
    Junior high or whatever the hell it's called (She's in 5th grade) And excuse me but we were talking about the American educational system in general. Which stinks.

ReputationRep:
    When you get a chance, please look up on of my profs, Larry Diamond. He works at the Hoover Institute, a conservative think tank at Stanford where Condoleezza Rice used to work. Let me know if he's a left wing liberal. He's one of Stanford's leading Africanists.
    His expertise seems to be on democracy in developing countries. He doesn't seem very well qualified to speak about the African slave trade.

ReputationRep:
    His expertise seems to be on democracy in developing countries. He doesn't seem very well qualified to speak about the African slave trade.
    Want more?
    John Darwin, Oxford (Nuffield College)
    Anthony Kirk-Greene, Oxford (St. Antony's)
    David Abernethy, Stanford
    Richard Roberts, Stanford

None of them are left-wing by any stretch of the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    Want more?
    John Darwin, Oxford (Nuffield College)
    Anthony Kirk-Greene, Oxford (St. Antony's)
    David Abernethy, Stanford
    Richard Roberts, Stanford

None of them are left-wing by any stretch of the imagination.
    Please don't waste your time namedropping individuals to try and show even political balance in areas of liberal arts academia. The elite American universities are rife with liberal and psuedo-marxist brainwashers.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't waste your time namedropping individuals to try and show even political balance in areas of liberal arts academia. The elite American universities are rife with liberal and psuedo-marxist brainwashers.
    Which is why they are elite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW Esq)
    My family made their money on the slave trade, and whilst it is slightly odious, I am not complaining.
    It would be nice if my family had actually got the money from slave trading that they earned. And it wasn't just slave trading. The guy was also an East India merchant. But I suppose that it doesn't matter, since my family are hardly starving in the gutter at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    Which is why they are elite.
    naxalite..

please refer to this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=51

and then answer.

ReputationRep:
    America and Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Britzan)
    yes i agree.
    Then you are a bit thick.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are a bit thick.
    That answer didn't even make sense :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i take back what i said..It'd just be nice if the govt/monarchy admitted 'yeah it was bad' and made a memorial..that'd do me fine...if the govt can make memorials for animals from WW2 and WW1 surely they can do a lil bit for those HUMAN BEINGS that died to make the UK rich. After all...Germany has apologised for its colonial, past in Africa as well as for the slave trade.

I watched a programme on French TV (TV5) about Toussaint L'overture [a great guy btw].
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toussaint_L'Ouverture..
    and it said that one of the main reasons that Haiti is in debt, is because it is still repaying France for a 'loss of property'..after Haiti gained its independence from France..please.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.