Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    That answer didn't even make sense :confused:
    Not my fault if she can't form a sentence but I think she was saying that hotels putting up a sign saying "NO BLACKS" is broadly equivalent to putting people into gas chambers.

And I think that makes her a bit thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Britzan)
    i take back what i said..It'd just be nice if the govt/monarchy admitted 'yeah it was bad' and made a memorial..that'd do me fine...if the govt can make memorials for animals from WW2 and WW1 surely they can do a lil bit for those HUMAN BEINGS that died to make the UK rich. After all...Germany has apologised for its colonial, past in Africa as well as for the slave trade.

I watched a programme on French TV (TV5) about Toussaint L'overture [a great guy btw].
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toussaint_L'Ouverture..
    and it said that one of the main reasons that Haiti is in debt, is because it is still repaying France for a 'loss of property'..after Haiti gained its independence from France..please.
    I don't think Britain should apologize for it's colonial past. Besides, who should the government apologize to? You?

ReputationRep:
    Very few people in the UK are affected by slavery now
    The entire African-American, Afro-Carribean-Afro-Latino society is based around slavery..have you noticed that we have European surnames..etc.etc
    The socio-economic factor- i.e. black males were systematically ripped away from their families and this strongly affects the lack of strong males in black society.. After all most post-slavery societies are matriarchal ones, in comparison to African ones, which are predominantly patriarchal.

ReputationRep:
    The socio-economic factor- i.e. black males were systematically ripped away from their families and this strongly affects the lack of strong males in black society.. After all most post-slavery societies are matriarchal ones, in comparison to African ones, which are predominantly patriarchal.
    This has nothing to do with slavery at all. The reason so many black kids grow up in single parent families (normally headed by the mother) cannot be linked to the slave trade of 200 years ago. That's baloney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't think Britain should apologize for it's colonial past. Besides, who should the government apologize to? You?
    In 1997 Tony Blair apologized for the IRISH Potatoe Famine which happened from 1845-1849 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Potato_Famine.
    There is nothing wrong with apologising for past faults.

ReputationRep:
    The entire African-American, Afro-Carribean-Afro-Latino society is based around slavery..have you noticed that we have European surnames..etc.etc
    Why not integrate into the dominant American/British/Latin American culture?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever. You greatly overstate your case. Is having a European surname really a problem?
    And that is a problem for you? This will sort itself out over the course of a few generations and I'm suprised it hasn't already. As I said, surely the fact that you are a free citizen is reparation enough? Indeed you should be thanking Britain that you are free.

ReputationRep:
    In 1997 Tony Blair apologized for the IRISH Potatoe Famine which happened from 1845-1849 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Potato_Famine.
    There is nothing wrong with apologising for past faults.
    WTF was the Irish potato blight colonial Britains fault? I knew we were a powerful nation but had no idea we controlled the weather/whatever it was that caused potato blight.

Besides, there was no potato famine. The Irish just forgot where they'd buried them.

ReputationRep:
    This has nothing to do with slavery at all. The reason so many black kids grow up in single parent families (normally headed by the mother) cannot be linked to the slave trade of 200 years ago. That's baloney.
    YES IT DOES. OPEN A HISTORY BOOK. So that the slave master could control his slaves he had to weaken the black male. When a man had a family as soon as he got 'settled' so to speak, they would tear them apart from their family then sell them onto another family..so that there would be no responsibility. I am not saying that all single parents, bad black males are to do with slavery..just a very large part..
    Do you even know many Afro-carribeans/descendents of slaves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Indeed you should be thanking Britain that you are free.
    They are the ones who enslaved my ancestors...yes of course there were specific tribes that sold their people but you really need to take slavery as a whole picture. There were v.bad consequences and some 'silver lining' to it.

ReputationRep:
    YES IT DOES. OPEN A HISTORY BOOK. So that the slave master could control his slaves he had to weaken the black male. When a man had a family as soon as he got 'settled' so to speak, they would tear them apart from their family then sell them onto another family..so that there would be no responsibility. I am not saying that all single parents, bad black males are to do with slavery..just a very large part..
    Do you even know many Afro-carribeans/descendents of slaves?
    Stop trying to revise history. The slave owners only cared about profit. If a black male was profitable, they'd keep him; if not, they'd sell him. They certainly wouldn't sell him just because he had a family. They might sell the rest of the family, but that would be because they couldn't make the slaveowner enough money to justify feeding and housing them, not because these slaveowners were expert psychologists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    What do the slaves pay Britain for leading the fight to end slavery?
    Actually Germany led the fight to end slavery.

ReputationRep:
    They are the ones who enslaved me...
    What's this? Victimhood by generational proxy? I've heard it all now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    When?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Germany didn't exist when Britain moved to destroy the slave trade.

ReputationRep:
    They are the ones who enslaved me...yes of course there were specific tribes that sold their people but you really need to take slavery as a whole picture. There were v.bad consequences and some 'silver lining' to it.
    Look:

are you a slave: NO

does slavery make your life hard: NO

is your life as hard as that of a slave: NO

are you oppressed by the British attitude to slavery: NO

if the Brits did not end slavery would you be a free citizen: NO

does the fact the UK worked hard to end slavery show an implicit recognition that slavery was in fact wrong: YES

so does the British state owe you anything: NO

do you think that in 200 years the British state will be apologising to gays for not allowing them to marry in the 00's? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    When?
    Now you see what is taught in Berkeley. A country that didn't exist before 1871 apparently was the first to attempt to end the slave trade despite Britain starting the effort at least half a century earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to revise history. The slave owners only cared about profit. If a black male was profitable, they'd keep him; if not, they'd sell him. They certainly wouldn't sell him just because he had a family. They might sell the rest of the family, but that would be because they couldn't make the slaveowner enough money to justify feeding and housing them, not because these slaveowners were expert psychologists.
    I am not trying to REVISE history.. it is just that you are not well versed in Black/African Diaspora/slave trade (whatever you want to call it) history.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. If you study American slavery/history indepth for example, you'd realize that tearing slaves away from family members was a key tool in weakening their mentality. It's not simply because of "profit" that they sold members of each family separately.

By using Christianity, loss of their families, brutal force, and other ways of demoralizing the slaves, the owners intended to keep a hold on not only their physical being but also their mental being, thus degrading them below human beings into mere objects.

If you were to read some historical novels regarding this issue, you'd realize that a slave mother for example who had been able to be with her daughter for 18 years laments because her daughter was sold separately from her at 18.....she says something to the extent of "but they allowed me to keep her for 18 years." Slaves tried not to get attached to their family members, including their own children, but since they were humans, it was inevitable and thus another way that the owners could maliciously hurt them.

ReputationRep:
    I am not trying to REVISE history.. it is just that you are not well versed in Black/African Diaspora/slave trade (whatever you want to call it) history.
    Well personally I think you're playing the victim....

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.