Turn on thread page Beta

ISKCON/Hare Krishna and George Harrison watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just found out that George Harrison was a member of ISKCON. In fact he is supposed to have made a few religious songs. Anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    bit slow innit? yea he was a Hindu, and donated lots of money to ISKCON, and the song 'my sweet lord' has the Hare Krishna mantra on it.

ReputationRep:
    He was very in to it. Did he not donate their HQ, a country mansion type place?

The main problem with the HKs is that they don't approve of sex for pleasure--do I have that right? There's an emptiness to their philosophy and worldview I thought--I can see that the absence of activity and intent which can bring negative results isn't a net loss, but there seemed to be an absence of positive, active intention and belief among the HK I knew...

GOURANGA! anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    He was very in to it. Did he not donate their HQ, a country mansion type place?

The main problem with the HKs is that they don't approve of sex for pleasure--do I have that right? There's an emptiness to their philosophy and worldview I thought--I can see that the absence of activity and intent which can bring negative results isn't a net loss, but there seemed to be an absence of positive, active intention and belief among the HK I knew...

GOURANGA! anyway...
    Well they serve free hot lunch outside my university on most days. Seems pretty positive to me.

"From the HK I knew"... that is hilarious. You seem to try an enclose yourself in a totally white culture I find it hard to believe you have the capacity or intelligence to look upon other cultures with an inquisitive and open mind.

ReputationRep:
    Owned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    Well they serve free hot lunch outside my university on most days. Seems pretty positive to me.

"From the HK I knew"... that is hilarious. You seem to try an enclose yourself in a totally white culture I find it hard to believe you have the capacity or intelligence to look upon other cultures with an inquisitive and open mind.
    I see the Krishna cafes and the books as slightly sad recruiting tools, anyway I was thinking more about what I thought was an excessively ascetic and life denying philosophy. Well and good to reduce opportunities for harm, but a little glory and debauchery are rich life experiences too.

I can't see how you'd be able to guage my level of interest in 'non'White' cultures, I tend to stick to racial politics on this forum. Your prejudice is half right though--I'm only really interested in 4 or 5 of the worlds great people/cultures, and I'd be dubious (prejudiced?) about a sales pitch for the glories of sub-saharan African culture.

So what? Most people live in a pop culture bubble, if I was obsessed with White western civ--Beethoven, Shakespeare, Goethe, Plato...it wouldn't make me a philistine or a moron would it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.