Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    any type of learning?
    like lists or tables or anything else??

im doing Geography, Chemistry, Music, either German/media studies (depending on results)

(im wjec board but i dont care what board you can give help from)

thnx

ReputationRep:
    I suggest learning all the transition states for all the transition metals for chemistry off by heart as they become very useful for exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binternet)
    I suggest learning all the transition states for all the transition metals for chemistry off by heart as they become very useful for exams.

ok!

keep ideas coming!!

ive even started learning the capitals of cities im that bored!! (im sad, im just bored as anthing!!)

ReputationRep:
    Getting bored is very good practice for taking chemistry AS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    Getting bored is very good practice for taking chemistry AS!
    why?
    ive been told the course outline and as i only did double award science not single ive been told i got to catch up on that too!

anyway, ideas!!! pls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binternet)
    could you give me a link for that?

ReputationRep:
    For your first module in AWS chemistry you will be required to know the atomic mass of every atom in the periodic table.

Just kidding If I'm honest mate, they'll teach you all you need to know when the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    For your first module in AWS chemistry you will be required to know the atomic mass of every atom in the periodic table.

Just kidding If I'm honest mate, they'll teach you all you need to know when the time comes.

you really scared me then!! lol

ReputationRep:
    For Music listen to some Beethoven songs and admire and comment upon them, for Geography go find a map! and for Chemistry learn the periodic table.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself parts of unit 1 for each of the subjects I'm taking this September. You could do the same: just get a textbook which details the structure of your syllabus and go through past papers for those respective units which you've taught yourself. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think there's much point in doing anything... nobody I know did.

Oh, actually, language students kept speaking their language over the summer, and went over bits and pieces that they were weak on. Otherwise, enjoy the break. Summer hols are meant to be boring, so that you appreciate being back at school. Or something.

ReputationRep:
    why?
    Because I found the AS incredibly boring

ReputationRep:
    Go out and be social. You won't have much time for it next year.

*says she, whose A-Levels are officially over. Muahahhaha!!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    I'm teaching myself parts of unit 1 for each of the subjects I'm taking this September. You could do the same: just get a textbook which details the structure of your syllabus and go through past papers for those respective units which you've taught yourself. Good luck.
    Already! :eek:

You should save them for easter or something.

ReputationRep:
    Get a textbook and read; preferably starting at page 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I honestly don't think there's much point in doing anything... nobody I know did.

Oh, actually, language students kept speaking their language over the summer, and went over bits and pieces that they were weak on. Otherwise, enjoy the break. Summer hols are meant to be boring, so that you appreciate being back at school. Or something.
    Agreed. Seriously, go out and have a good time! There's no need to be learning your AS level stuff now, just enjoy being a complete dosser whilst you can

ReputationRep:
    You should SERIOUSLY not to do anything and just completely chill out for the rest of August. This is probably the last stress free summer you will have. Take a break now or you might regret it later.

ReputationRep:
    I've been ploughing through my brother's university Maths book. It's actually quite good, even if it does weigh 2kgs. I'm hoping that Further Maths will offer me a challenge next year, because I've heard (and seen) that Maths on it's own is rather watered-down and lame at A-level... So basically just refining my Mathemtical techniques.

Obviously, you could try ploughing through an A-level revision guide/textbook for your chosen subjects, or you could try to research certain parts of chemistry that you really enjoy. For example, I think that Organic chemistry is nasty stuff (to learn), and I much prefer Inorganic or Physical chemistry. Perhaps if you have a preference to which study of Chemistry you prefer, you could look into that area further.

For Music, if you can, you should get hold of some nice sheet music, or perhaps try to use Sibelius at your local Music Library, and compose some wonderful music in a certain style, like Minimalist or try Counterpoint, or just something simpler and more general like Baroque or Classical.

For Geography, perhaps you should consider trying to look at what's in the syllabus, and say you prefer Human Geography, you could try looking into your favourite area of it, like Demographics, or Industry.

For German, I would recommend making sure your grammar is completely up to scratch, and perhaps learning some new vocab, or recording some exciting German soap opera on BBC learning zone and seeing whether you understand it etc...

For Media Studies, watch and analyse some of the classic movies - I don't know what Media Studies really entails, so this is a stab in the dark. Perhaps you could watch some Hitchcock, or perhaps you could look at the progression of a certain director's work (e.g. how has their life affected the way their movies are perceived). Or you could follow the work of a certain actor or actress, so perhaps looking at Marilyn Monroe's movies.

If this is complete nonsense, just ignore me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    Already! :eek:

You should save them for easter or something.
    It's just a personal preference. By doing this I will set any worries in my mind to rest, and hopefully get a head start, thus, find it easier to keep on top of my work. Well, that's the plan anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it's not really worth learning anything concrete, as your teachers should go over it in plenty of detail next year and if you've already learnt it you'll be even more bored in class and it'll appear that you're not really interested in the subject. Personally I would just take this time to chill, read a book, go out and see your friends etc. You need this time to chill before they start to pile on the stress!

However if you reeeally want to do something productive then I recommend keeping your German going. Never hurts to brush up on the tenses and grammar, however I'd find something that you enjoy and follow it up in German. For example www.as.com is a great Spanish sports site, so I can follow all the news whilst improving my Spanish - and enjoying it.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.