Turn on thread page Beta

i'm putting on weight, help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im 5'8"/5'9" around about there.. i weigh just over 11 stone to just under 11 1/2 stone depends on the time of the month. I think im slighty over weight or close to the borderline. Im not depressed about my weight or even slighty bothered, i eat healthy but i wouldnt give my favorite foods up just to loose a few pounds. Id be more depressed not being able to have nice foods.

Watching your food avidly and being worried when you put a few pounds on isnt living me to me. Sure keeping a healthy weight is good for you, but a life of watching your eating and feeling sick when you eat something which doesnt fit in with your diet is stupid. Our culture has become to obsessed with stick models and things out of HFM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory)
    im 5'8"/5'9" around about there.. i weigh just over 11 stone to just under 11 1/2 stone depends on the time of the month. I think im slighty over weight or close to the borderline. Im not depressed about my weight or even slighty bothered, i eat healthy but i wouldnt give my favorite foods up just to loose a few pounds. Id be more depressed not being able to have nice foods.

Watching your food avidly and being worried when you put a few pounds on isnt living me to me. Sure keeping a healthy weight is good for you, but a life of watching your eating and feeling sick when you eat something which doesnt fit in with your diet is stupid. Our culture has become to obsessed with stick models and things out of HFM.
    i don't watch my food avidly, in fact it's been quite the opposite for a number of years - when i was about 14 i forced myself not to care about what i was eating in order to stop myself obsessing about being stick-thin. i think my 'memorable for' bit in the yearbook actually says something along the lines of "eating huge amounts of chocolate without growing to be the size of a house."

unfortunately, that is wearing off now, and since i don't want to follow in the footsteps of some of my relatives, i need a healthy way to regulate my weight.

ReputationRep:
    From what youve said you should be able to regulate your weight just fine, if you only eat when youre hungry then you should have no trouble, just make sure you exercise a few times a week and for you it seems like it should be no trouble at all.

and i think youre in the healthy weight range too. so compared to alot of people youve actually got it easy.

ReputationRep:
    drinking water when you feel hungry between meals, should stop you from snacking also. I tend to try and do that but if im feeling tired as well i tend to eat something.

ReputationRep:
    today i hit 9 stone. and i really don't like it
    i just hate to think that i may be on the slow road to obesity
    Based on comments like that I think you're more likely to be on the slow road to becoming anorexic.

ReputationRep:
    Gaz, i think thats a bit dramatic. shes just said shes put on a couple of pounds and youre now saying shes going to become anorexic? I'm not sure I quite see the logic there.

And it's not even a helpful comment, the whole point is to try to help her, not to be spouting useless comments that help no-one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Based on comments like that I think you're more likely to be on the slow road to becoming anorexic.
    i'm not. as i've said before, i'm not skinny and, at 9 stone, i have a BMI of 21.6. losing half a stone would put me down to a BMI of 20.4 - which is still well into the healthy range. i have never dieted in my life and i'm not exactly planning to join weight-watchers. the fact is that i don't have a perfect figure - and i doubt that i have a figure which would take weight gain attractively - so i would rather take steps to regulate my weight now than continue to bury my head in the sand and pretend that the weight gain isn't happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Perhaps a better idea would be to have one lower and one upper limit and adjust your diet and excercise accordingly if you slip outside? That way you can make sure you stay at a somewhat healthy weight without having to bother about every gram you gain or lose. Also, remember that eating disorders is not a matter of how much you weigh, but how you react to it and how you deal with food. You must be able to enjoy a good meal without constantly feeling worried about your weight, but you must also be a bit aware about how you eat so you don't slip towards one extreme. It is normal that your weight changes a little from time to time ( As an example most people gain some weight during the winter ) as long youa re not gaining or losing weight at a very rapid rate. Allow your weight to swing a little, thats normal. Also don't check your weight too often, that will just make you go nuts about it ( Once per week is a bit often, once a day is definately too much).
    3 or 4 times a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~~hannah~~)
    Gaz, i think thats a bit dramatic. shes just said shes put on a couple of pounds and youre now saying shes going to become anorexic? I'm not sure I quite see the logic there.

And it's not even a helpful comment, the whole point is to try to help her, not to be spouting useless comments that help no-one.
    My comment was overly dramatic but so was the reference to becoming obese. Honestly, people need to stop being so insecure.
    Regardless, I didn't mean to cause offense.

ReputationRep:
    mmm most of my family is overheight and obese!!! parents included! I was overweight when I was small... and had a bit of a complex about it but my parents and granma still say that I was ok! Well when I was 11-12 in the summer I suddently got thinner (actually stayed with 45kg but got taller) and then I was in good shape... then this year I went to a boarding school and went from 61kg to 60kg in nine months!!! it was also because I was doing weights... and of the fried food!!! My parents say I'm ok and my family relatives even say I'm better now, that by then I was really skinny!!! They are just jelous... I have started some sort of diet since a month ago... I'm 66.5kg now... I dont suffer... but do not eat chocolate, chips and that sort of stuff... and at least walk an hour a day and do abs... usually I also go running... Hopefully I'll be 63kg when starting uni! i think I've got gas or something... I dont see any fat at all! (I just did a blood test and I had the cholesterol BELOW the minimum value! :eek:)
    You should do a food diary... plan what you are going to eat... if you want to go down...do it! but dont go mad about it... I think it's nice to do some kind of depurative diet a few days before starting and then start... loads of vegetables!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    or cut out the junk indefinately.. once you dont eat it for a few weeks you won't be interested in it anymore.
    :ditto: I havent eaten a hog dog for years!!! and do not fancy one anymore! and I just go to McDonalds if everyone is going... but eat a salad... although they are expensive and not that healthy!!! But it's been years I havent eaten a hamburger!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    My comment was overly dramatic but so was the reference to becoming obese. Honestly, people need to stop being so insecure.
    Regardless, I didn't mean to cause offense.
    it's true, i would have to work at being obese. however, a considerable number of my relatives fall in to the overweight/dangerously overweight category - including my father who, at my age, was considerably underweight - so it's not like it would be impossible.

i personally have no desire to end up looking like a stick insect - i think that super-skinny models and actresses look horrible. so you have no need to be concerned about my state of mind or about any insecurities on my part. the point of this post was to ask advice on a way to healthily regulate my weight without going overboard and ending up looking like a twiglet. i've asked other people who know me about this, and everyone i know has agreed that, being the size and shape that i am, carrying extra weight would not suit me, and it is, therefore, something that i wish to avoid.

i know that most people automatically associate teenagers who are unhappy with their weight with eating disorders and self-esteem issues, but i would appreciate it if you could consider that i have simply set myself healthy limits which i would like to stay within, and which i am taking pains to ensure will not cause me to start obsessing about what i eat and how much i weigh. if i was in my late 20s and said i wanted to lose a few pounds then i would probably be applauded - i really don't think that the simple fact of my age ought to be allowed to lead to accusations of anorexia and immature insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened happened to me about a year or so ago. I'd always weighed about 8 stone (at 5 foot 7/8) and used to have to eat loads to maintain my weight (I would eat huge meals and snacked constantly because I had a big appetite).
    Then suddenly I noticed that I was putting on a few pounds and then within a year or so I weighed almost 9 and a half sone. I really wasn't comfortable as I was used to weighing around 8 stone and didn't like the extra weight that I was carrying (although it was actually healthier weight for me). I tried all sorts of stupid things to try and get back down to my original weight but nothing seemed to work.
    Anyway, after a year of eating 3 regular meals a day I now weigh 9 stone (which is a healthy weight for my height I think). I'm happyish with my weight now and everyone tells me I look so much better now because I didn't weigh enough before.
    Anyway, moral of the story is that you do put on weight as you get older and it'll probably just take a while for your body to adjust to a healthy weight for your height that you feel comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    That's quite odd - being clinically obese isn't a good thing
    WOW GIVE YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK ... WATCH OUT GUYS THERE'S A COMEDIAN HERE!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't weighed myself in ages, and don't intend to. If people ask, I just say I'm almost 11 stone (I'm 5'10) and apparently that's about right because they nod and say, "yeah, thought it was about that..."

Just go by how you feel and how you look. If you think you look ok and yoy feel healthy, then you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    yeh, i ate it instead of food (i really can't do the eating huge amounts thing) and i thought it might have something to do with the fact that i didn't gain weight. i did find that if i was eating really large amounts of it i actually lost weight (i went under the 8 stone limit a couple of times because of that). i suppose i could go on a chocolate binge again and lose a few pounds, but i was kind of trying to give that up, it's a prettty unhealthy thing to do.

i'm not sure about eating smaller portions - ever since i was young i've had comments on the fact that i don't eat much - i always stop eating as soon as i'm not hungry, and if i'm ill or stressed i sometimes don't eat at all (which bothers my mum a bit). i've probably been eating between meals more often recently (since i've not been at school since may) and if i eat smaller portions than i already do at mealtimes i think i'll probably just end up snacking more. i reckon that perhaps it is time for me to wave bye-bye to junk food for a while.
    eat fruit between the meals instead, and you are right say goodbye to junk food. anyway the way i see it you doesn't seem the be overweight, maybe the weight you have gained is just a result of the change of diet? (from chocolate to not chocolate) it takes time for the body to adjust.
    but i say again i don't think that you are overweight considering your lenght and weight and that you don't eat much already.

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for the advice!! i am now determined to cut out the junk food and start jogging or something (although, considering i live on a hill, i don't know if i will survive the experience!). and thanks for all being so nice .

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.