Turn on thread page Beta

How many of your parents went to Uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum was meant to go to Oxbridge/London university as she was terrifying good at English and came joint top in her school in the GCSEs (unlike me...) and got incredible marks in her A level mocks but had a breakdown thing...long story... screwed up her A levels, got into a London uni with BDE on the interview but then left after Freshers Week... Right.

Dad went to what is now De Montford (sp?) and got a 3rd because he kept having nervous breakdowns.

Wow, can't imagine what kind of a future my brother and I are doomed to :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Neither my mam or dad went to university. My mother got some o levels when she was in school but my dad dropped out of school at fourteen to work because of family circumstances. If i go, I'll be the only one of my family (close and distant relatives) who has ever been.

ReputationRep:
    both my parents didn't, hehe I'm the first person in our family to

ReputationRep:
    dad went to kings college london, mum went to uni in india..

ReputationRep:
    Neither as far as I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Hey! I was just thinking about the whole 'A' levels getting easier, and Uni being a doss (supposedly!) well I was just wondering how many of you, have parents that went to Uni? Thought it would be interesting to see!

I could break this up into, how many parents had GCSE's/A Levels/Degrees and how far TSR people are into education, but then that would be horribly complicated!

So, yeah, did you parents go to Uni?
    my dad did a fellowship in manufacturing at Cranfield University. But before that he did electronics so he's always giving me stick about how straight forward GCSE maths was and made me feel really stupid. He was also quite picky about what degree i should do as well. He nearly bit my head off when i said i wanted to do history a couple of years ago lol.

I know that he's only looking out for me, but it can be very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    My dad did a masters in Land Economy at Aberdeen and my mum went to college. Half my family went to Aberdeen, no pressure or anything!

ReputationRep:
    neither went, and they don't want me to go cose they say its too expensive but screw that...i need to go

ReputationRep:
    My mum went to somewhere in London and my dad went to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    both to Queen Mary in London

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents went to university. In fact, by the time they were 16, they were both working full time. It hasn't stopped them achieving anything they want to achieve, and they both have good jobs.

I'm the first in my family to go to university (apart from super distant relatives whose names I don't even know!).

ReputationRep:
    both my parents are post grad in economics! i was roasted when i had economics in school!!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Both of mine, and all their siblings, and all four of my grandparents did. I'm the fifth in the family (3 uncles and a cousin have gone before) to go to Cambridge.

Having said that, none of them are world leaders yet, so a university education isn't everything!

ReputationRep:
    My dad graduated with a degree in Zoology from Royal Holloway, my mum studied English at Birmingham and then completed her PGCE at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents have completed a university degree. My mum got 9 O Levels at grade 'A' and 4 Highers at 'A' but left school at 16 to work. My dad failed his Highers first time through but as far as I'm aware, passed second time.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.