Turn on thread page Beta

What orchestral instrument do you play? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer)
    the oboe ie. the Hovis ad instrument.

Was very tough at the outset, but definitely worth the effort of 6 years- sounds like it's meant to. It is an endangered instrument according to the BBC: not enough people are taking it up.

guitar- acoustic and air.
    i would love more than anything to take up the oboe. I'm in my last year of school with so many exams and stuff to worry about that it just isnt possible. I'm grade 8 flute but absolutely hate the thing, which is a shame. Maybe at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Clarinet and Oboe, Grade 6 (ABRSM) on both.

ReputationRep:
    Double bass, Grade 8.

ReputationRep:

Was very tough at the outset, but definitely worth the effort of 6 years- sounds like it's meant to. It is an endangered instrument according to the BBC: not enough people are taking it up.

guitar- acoustic and air.
    Another oboeist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Double bass, Grade 8.
    There's only one DB player in our school... who can't read music, and has no sense of rhythm! And it is so bruised and battered (from throwing it down stairs, bashing people with it etc). :rolleyes:

The idea of taking it up myself has always appealed to me...

ReputationRep:
    I've always rather fancied myself as a rather nifty triangle player. The most underestimated of instruments, apart from those brown sticky bangy things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    There's only one DB player in our school... who can't read music, and has no sense of rhythm! And it is so bruised and battered (from throwing it down stairs, bashing people with it etc). :rolleyes:

The idea of taking it up myself has always appealed to me...
    I would recomend it. There's always demand for good bassists (be it in an orchestra / band / concert / whatever). You'll never be out of work if you're competent.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get into the University orchestra (s) at Cambridge as a violin player? I suspect the standard is really high (higher than grade 8 distinction?) Any advice anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get into the University orchestra (s) at Cambridge as a violin player? I suspect the standard is really high (higher than grade 8 distinction?) Any advice anyone?
    Yes I'd like to know that too...... I've played in my local city youth orchestra, my regional youth orchestra (4 counties) and my school orchestras..... but the highest grade I've got is Grade 5 (taken about 4 yrs ago). I've heard individual college orchestras are easy to get into - and are often a bit of a joke... though of course there will be smaller chamber groups available.

I would have thought there were more violin players out there... it does tend to be the most popular instrument behidn the piano.

Whitey, what kind of stuff do you play in Double Bass Grade 8? I mean it's not really a virtuoso instrument... are there many pieces written for double bass (outside jazz band music stuff where bass plays a large part)

ReputationRep:
    i have never played in an orchestra but i usued to play guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Whitey, what kind of stuff do you play in Double Bass Grade 8? I mean it's not really a virtuoso instrument... are there many pieces written for double bass (outside jazz band music stuff where bass plays a large part)
    Well, the music that you have to play for exams is the usual super-difficult twiddly stuff. However, most orchestras have relatively easy parts that just require you to keep the pace. Still, I have seen quite a few complicated solos in the occasional piece of music... you never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    I would recomend it. There's always demand for good bassists (be it in an orchestra / band / concert / whatever). You'll never be out of work if you're competent.
    Same with Oboe.

ReputationRep:
    And the trumpet.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend plays the oboe too. Supposely it causes you to die earlier because of nose pressure. I don't know any more than that.

I play the Piano (almost 11 years!), Violin (8 years!), Clarinet (almost 6 months and I'm on Grade 4 already!)

ReputationRep:
    I use my vocal strings as an instrument. I sing! Got grade 6....!

Given up doing grades though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)

I was advised by my instrumental teacher, who has had close links with Cambridge and is currently editing a series of sonatas with one of the Music DOS, that it is very hard to get into CUMS I and II because they are made up of ex National Youth Orchestra and European Youth Orchestra members.

My ex boyfriend, who is still a good friend and in his first year at Caius, has been Diploma High Honours standard for over two years and didn't get in, though is in the college orchestra.

ReputationRep:
    I play the clarinet (grade 8) and tenor sax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicwoman)
    I was advised by my instrumental teacher, who has had close links with Cambridge and is currently editing a series of sonatas with one of the Music DOS, that it is very hard to get into CUMS I and II because they are made up of ex National Youth Orchestra and European Youth Orchestra members.

My ex boyfriend, who is still a good friend and in his first year at Caius, has been Diploma High Honours standard for over two years and didn't get in, though is in the college orchestra.

There are other orchestras though. For example, UCPO is actually a very fine orchestra - despite being non-audition! hey give concerts at West Road pretty regularly, and I went to one in Trinity chapel. So you can still play and play well, to the paying public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    There are other orchestras though. For example, UCPO is actually a very fine orchestra - despite being non-audition! hey give concerts at West Road pretty regularly, and I went to one in Trinity chapel. So you can still play and play well, to the paying public.
    how many ex NYOers and EYOers would be at Cambridge? and how large are your orchestras?
    UCPO - what's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    how many ex NYOers and EYOers would be at Cambridge? and how large are your orchestras?
    UCPO - what's that?

University of Cambridge Philarmonic Orchestra

I don't know the answer to your first question I'm afraid! But I'd imagine there are a few.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.