Turn on thread page Beta

How true? - boys are only friends with girls if they fancy them? watch

ReputationRep:
    I hope thats not true..and I'm sure it's not. Being a football supporter I have oodles of male friends, although some do fancy me, not all of them do...that'd just be ridiculous. They aren't my friend because of that, we get on and share interests and enjoy each others company regardless of physical attraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    I hope thats not true..and I'm sure it's not. Being a football supporter I have oodles of male friends, although some do fancy me, not all of them do...that'd just be ridiculous. They aren't my friend because of that, we get on and share interests and enjoy each others company regardless of physical attraction.
    But still, would there be a reason for them not to fancy you? Say you're attractive, if they are friends with you you obviously enjoy eachothers company. Hmm, they are attracted to you and they enjoy your company, why wouldn't they fancy you?

Not too sure about the relevance but hey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    But still, would there be a reason for them not to fancy you? Say you're attractive, if they are friends with you you obviously enjoy eachothers company. Hmm, they are attracted to you and they enjoy your company, why wouldn't they fancy you?

Not too sure about the relevance but hey
    Well..my other half reckons most of them do fancy me but I feel like they are my kinda brothers rather than potential boyfriends :eek: creepy!

I think they might find me attractive but then most of them look apon me as a sister/cousin or something and they are all friends with my bloke so they probably wouldn't want to go out with me/really fancy me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it changes from friendship to friendship. Sometimes guys become friends with a girl because they fancy one of their friends.

I hang around with a lot of guys because sometimes they are more fun to hang around with and I know they arn't going to run off at the end of the night with some bloke and leave me stranded somewhere. I like to have a few pints, play pool and watch the footy and that's something my female friends arn't too keen on.

I know one of my male friends doesn't fancy me because he finds it hard to be friends with someone he fancies. It sounds weird but it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I shouldn't have an opinion on this because I'm 25 and thus so old and decrepit that I am more worried about my arthritis than sex and all my freinds are dead. But, I just about remember what it was like to be in the 17 - 20 year old bracket and I can say that people are people, I had and still do have many female friends that are that, just friends. However, I know men (and women) who are incapable of having close platonic relationships with members of the opposite sex.

ReputationRep:
    So not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    Do any guys in the 17-20 category agree with this? To be honest I never used to, but more recently have started to believe it might be so. I admit there are some unique relationships where a boy and girl are true friends but do most guys here admit to fancying most of their closest female friends?

Yes ive seen soo many of them!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaIrYm0nSt3r!)
    Yes ive seen soo many of them!!
    So many of what?

ReputationRep:
    No, aint true at all!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have many friends, so if I am friends with a girl I almost certainly won't fancy her - just as almost a protective measure on the friendship.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Not true at all. I think of my best friend as a little sister so of course I don't fancy her.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think its true. I have quite a few male friends, and despite being good mates, theres nothing more to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    Do any guys in the 17-20 category agree with this? To be honest I never used to, but more recently have started to believe it might be so. I admit there are some unique relationships where a boy and girl are true friends but do most guys here admit to fancying most of their closest female friends?
    If you're still in adolescent land.. maturity-wise, then you might.

However, if you're a man who is in touch with himself.. then I can't imagine why you'd be "friends" with a potential partner.. surely you'll have enough friends.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not true. I've had girls as friends my whole life and not wanted more from them. At different points in my life my best friend has been a girl for years and there's never been anything more to it.

I'd be pretty worried about anyone that was incapable of being friends with the opposite sex without wanting to nail them all. Lonely people maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Personally i dont fancy any of my girl mates. Like someone else has said I see them as like sisters, so would be creepy to fancy them!

ReputationRep:
    from experience i have to admit that in most cases i have tend to become friends with most of the gals that i wanted...became even closer friends after a couple of hook ups..but then again i have also had girl ....friends wher ther was no attraction at all..does that help
    im lost
    he he eh he h e

ReputationRep:
    Although, i was freinds with my boyf before we started going out. How else can you get to know someone?

ReputationRep:
    Not true... Especially since I've remained friends with people whom I was friends with in Nursery, when I distinctly remember thinking "girls are yucky", or "kissing is yucky", or something along those lines of immaturity.

Obviously, you do sometimes become friends and then find that you fancy them, but just to generalise that boys are only friends with girls if they fancy them is complete nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    my best friend has been a girl for years
    Sex change? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    So many of what?
    ive seen soo many guys who fancy their close female frnds!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.