Turn on thread page Beta

The CRE is institutionally racist--SHOCK! watch

ReputationRep:
    I posted something about the Equal Opportunities Commission having about 80% female staff, despite being the country's premier enforcer of sexual equality law, now we learn that the CRE employs only 76 White staff out of a total of 204 (37.3% against 92% of the population).

If you're surprised it's because you think 'equality' is the goal of these bureaucracies. What will make you think differently if not their own racist and sexist employment practices? They prefer their own and advance the particularist agendas of their own...equality of opportunity and before the law is never enough!
    http://www.libertyandlaw.co.uk/page....&viewpage=news
    Commission for Racial Equality in cover up of its employment records

Just 76 of the 204 staff [37.3%] of the Commission for Racial Equality [CRE] are revealed to be ‘White’ in the latest annual report of the £20million quango. This continues a history of their gross under-representation in the organisation. For over ten years the CRE has failed to adopt ‘targets’ to make itself representative of the broad population it serves, remaining determinedly institutionally racist. 77 of its staff are ‘Black or Black British’, 30 ‘Asian or Asian British’, while only one of its staff is recorded as of ‘Mixed background’.

The CRE’s race and gender record keeping is also unacceptable. Despite its obsessive monitoring the latest annual report does not account for the racial identity of nine [4.4%] of its staff whose sex and grade is however known. It is nonetheless a substantial improvement on its 2001 annual report, which without any explanation failed to account for the race, sex or grade of 39 [18.3%] of its then 213 staff.

Liberty and Law director Gerald Hartup stated: “We should have the right to expect that our equal opportunities bodies are competent and practice what they preach. Parliament now needs to look critically at their activities and provide them with appropriate direction. Recommendations and investigations by the CRE cannot be taken seriously until it starts to put its own house in order”

The CRE has revealed that there is “under representation from certain ethnic groups” within its staff but will not voluntarily answer the straightforward question: which ethnic groups and by how much. Such an answer would provide a helpful guide to London employers about the racial profile they should aim for and would enable the CRE to be judged in the same way as the bodies that it investigates.

The CRE revealed minimal information to Liberty and Law Journal [LLJ] when asked on 25 July a straightforward question: The 2003 [Annual] Report also reveals "under-representation from certain ethnic groups" in employment at the CRE. Which are these under-represented groups? How under-represented are each of these groups according to CRE employment figures on which the conclusion of under-representation was reached? Your reply should allow me to see what the shortfall in numbers of each of these ethnic groups is and what their proportion of the total workforce should be.

The answer, which was came on 12 August was evasive. It said: The CRE uses Census 2001 - ethnicity and religion in England and Wales as well as the regional breakdowns to assess representation by ethnic group in our workforce. This information is available on the ONS website for you to compare with the CRE staffing numbers, which includes a breakdown by ethnicity, made available in our annual reports.

LLJ is now forced to use the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act to uncover this basic information that the CRE will not otherwise provide.

CRE’s three-year review: pages 10,11
    http://www.cre.gov.uk/downloads/cre_...sment_2005.pdf

CRE Annual Report 2004, see pages 48-50 http://www.cre.gov.uk/downloads/AR04main.pdf

ReputationRep:
    that is a bit of a joke really.

an organisation dealing with cultural and racial issues should be roughly representative of the population at large.

Sigh silly billies, the both of you.
    The CRE is just down the road from me in south london. All the areas around it are over 35% ethnic minority. You can check that for yourself.

Personally i think its soo damned stupid to quote national averages all the ruddy time. Sure CRE does important work in my opinion, but it shouldn't use silly standardised figures to base its judgement on. And it should take into account the effect of class inequalities too.

However that doesn't excuse you two from what i think is a display of woeful ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    The CRE is just down the road from me in south london. All the areas around it are over 35% ethnic minority. You can check that for yourself.

Personally i think its soo damned stupid to quote national averages all the ruddy time. Sure CRE does important work in my opinion, but it shouldn't use silly standardised figures to base its judgement on. And it should take into account the effect of class inequalities too.

However that doesn't excuse you two from what i think is a display of woeful ignorance.
    If it was the other way around I'm sure they would have found some excuses..or a ridiculous analogy to justify it...

ReputationRep:
    The CRE has offices in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh. Even if they only employed londoners, most professional londoners commute. Local ethnic make-up wouldn't be expected to be reflected in an organisation like the CRE, it's not a supermarket or a take-away ffs...

Regardless, their cavalier approach to monitoring ethnic staffing levels; their admission that there is "under representation from certain ethnic groups" and refusal to say which ethnic groups are under represented; the massive and inexplicable levels of White under representation; the perpetual taking turns between Blacks and Asians as head (never a White); the occassional surfacing of news stories betraying battles between Blacks and Asians for supremacy (Whites don't figure in these stories because the CRE doesn't employ many Whites); the refusal to adopt targets to make themselves representative of the people they serve, all add up to a clear picture of 'institutional racism'.

I don't object to racially biased staffing choices, I only object to the CRE doing the very thing, at our expense which they claim to be working against.

I object because I know their aims is not equality (their own staffing levels show this clearly), their aim is to maximise power and influence for non-Whites at the expense of Whites.

They play the racial identity game while persecuting Whites who would dare to do the same. They are winning a game that Whites aren't even allowed to play...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    The CRE has offices in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh. Even if they only employed londoners, most professional londoners commute. Local ethnic make-up wouldn't be expected to be reflected in an organisation like the CRE, it's not a supermarket or a take-away ffs...

Regardless, their cavalier approach to monitoring ethnic staffing levels; their admission that there is "under representation from certain ethnic groups" and refusal to say which ethnic groups are under represented; the massive and inexplicable levels of White under representation; the perpetual taking turns between Blacks and Asians as head (never a White); the occassional surfacing of news stories betraying battles between Blacks and Asians for supremacy (Whites don't figure in these stories because the CRE doesn't employ many Whites); the refusal to adopt targets to make themselves representative of the people they serve, all add up to a clear picture of 'institutional racism'.

I don't object to racially biased staffing choices, I only object to the CRE doing the very thing, at our expense which they claim to be working against.

I object because I know their aims is not equality (their own staffing levels show this clearly), their aim is to maximise power and influence for non-Whites at the expense of Whites.

They play the racial identity game while persecuting Whites who would dare to do the same. They are winning a game that Whites aren't even allowed to play...
    What game is that? Secret Non-white supremacy! Soon the non-whites will rule us...Gosh if only I had listened to the white nationalists...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    What game is that? Secret Non-white supremacy! Soon the non-whites will rule us...Gosh if only I had listened to the white nationalists...
    As Jamie would say, their actions betray their lie...Judge all equally Alex, otherwise you're a racist.

ReputationRep:
    As Jamie would say, their actions betray their lie...Judge all equally Alex, otherwise you're a racist.
    How exactly can I be a racist against my own race ?

You don't seem to understand that people apply for jobs and since the ethnic minorities are those who usually feel the effects of inequality it's not a massive surprise (like you make it out to be) that most people applying for those jobs will be from the minorities...it's not rocket science...

ReputationRep:
    How exactly can I be a racist against my own race ?

You don't seem to understand that people apply for jobs and since the ethnic minorities are those who usually feel the effects of inequality it's not a massive surprise (like you make it out to be) that most people applying for those jobs will be from the minorities...it's not rocket science...
    Gotta love your goodwill to all but racially conscious whites! Who feels the inequality when they see the CRE staff profiles? Only racist Whites, right?

Alexdel, you might not agree with my view that these figures reflect racial hostility (because you're afraid of truth ) but anyone who is fair minded and honest knew that in a nation of laws, the law must be applied equally to all people and to all groups, even when these groups are composed of Blacks and Asians, and especially when these groups are responsible for making and enforcing the laws.

Surely my last post on this thread--the figures and link speak for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Since when did "race" determine what decisions people make. This thread is stupid.

MB

Gotta love your goodwill to all but racially conscious whites! Who feels the inequality when they see the CRE staff profiles? Only racist Whites, right?
    See to me its not about colour, and never should be. and it doesn't matter whether you are black white asian or oriental, if you have a "racial conscious" it is my opinion you are extremely backward, have little idea of how the whole "WE ARE ALL ONE RUDDY RACE" thing works.
    Take people as individuals, not colours.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a typical politically correct response; when white and British people are discriminated against, make a joke of it, when its blacks and asians scream "racial abuse". Sick hypocrasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    See to me its not about colour, and never should be. and it doesn't matter whether you are black white asian or oriental, if you have a "racial conscious" it is my opinion you are extremely backward, have little idea of how the whole "WE ARE ALL ONE RUDDY RACE" thing works.
    Take people as individuals, not colours.
    I bet any money you wouldn't have this rather utopian view if it was black and asians being woefully underrepresented in a given company or profession. It is the CRE and similar groups who have the strongest "racial conscious" of all as they are the first to whinge and run to the law when they discover a profession that doesn't have any many ethnic minorities in it as possible e.g. fire service, police force, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever thnk that maybe more ethnic minorities apply for jobs at the CRE?
    It seems like you are the ones guilty of hypocrasy here, I thought you were all for people being able to hire on the basis of race?
    And if you don't mind me saying, you seem overly preoccupied with 'the white race', mentining it several times a post. I think I've mentioned black people a maximum of 5 or 6 times since I joined TSR.

Would you have started a thread about the CRE not hiring enough ethnic minorities, or would that not interest you at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Did you ever thnk that maybe more ethnic minorities apply for jobs at the CRE?
    It seems like you are the ones guilty of hypocrasy here, I thought you were all for people being able to hire on the basis of race?
    And if you don't mind me saying, you seem overly preoccupied with 'the white race', mentining it several times a post. I think I've mentioned black people a maximum of 5 or 6 times since I joined TSR.

Would you have started a thread about the CRE not hiring enough ethnic minorities, or would that not interest you at all?
    Well if the census is to believed and ethnic minorities only make up around 8% of the population (which I personally don't believe for a second) I find it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority of applicants for jobs in the CRE would be from ethnic minorities. My point is simply this: it is wrong for the CRE to such an overwhelming bias towards ethnic minorities given the nature and ethos of the organisation. When it comes to professions where certain ethnic groups are preferred over others (e.g.police and fire service), I think that is completely wrong. If I'm trapped in a burning building or being attacked by a violent criminal I couldn't give a c**p about the ethnicity of the officer coming to my aid, I just want the best person for the job to be hired. The fact is that perfectly good potential police officers and fire fighters are being rejected because they are white and british, that is pure racial discrimination any way you look at it and the police and fire services should be sued for it.

This brings me onto a related topic which I would like to vent my anger at: seeing posters for festivals such as 'love music, hate racism' and suchlike I am totally bemuzed at why all of the acts booked are black/asian and appeal to such groups. If the organisers GENUINELY want to reduce racism maybe, just maybe, they should actually book some acts that will attract white people to go! surely the only way to end racism is to bring all groups together instead of putting on what are usually free concerts for a minority of the population paid for by all taxpayers???

(Original post by Greyhound02)
    I bet any money you wouldn't have this rather utopian view if it was black and asians being woefully underrepresented in a given company or profession. It is the CRE and similar groups who have the strongest "racial conscious" of all as they are the first to whinge and run to the law when they discover a profession that doesn't have any many ethnic minorities in it as possible e.g. fire service, police force, etc.
    "you wouldn't have this rather utopian view if it was black and asians being woefully underrepresented in a given company or profession"
    Um...it is in many companies and professions. Much more so thatwhite people. the issue here was the hypocrisy of the CRE doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    "you wouldn't have this rather utopian view if it was black and asians being woefully underrepresented in a given company or profession"
    Um...it is in many companies and professions. Much more so thatwhite people. the issue here was the hypocrisy of the CRE doing it.
    Well as soon as a thread begins about underrepresentation of ethnic minorities in a given profession I'm sure you will be the first to complain yet you have chosen to remain silent whilst the CRE discriminates against the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)

um?

you might not like national averages so how about some more local ones...

over 3/4 of people in london are white. whites are the largest group in all the boroughs of south london aswell (from what i can see not even just a "minority majority" but over 50% of population in all cases). from the CRE's website they appear to be based in whats closer to central london to me. as far as i can tell its in southwark. even that area doesnt manage this "over 35% ethnic minority" figure you came out with...and imagine...its also a white majority area. interesting.

for you its alright for a commission who deals with racial issues to employ disproportionate amounts of people from different minorities? pull the other one. i accept an organisation dealing with racial issues is likely to attract more applications from those from minorities. often racial issues tend to involve them or are portrayed to be racial. but to have less than 40% white staff when national, regional, and even local borough figures dont even come close to that ethnic distribution? no...thats a touch dodgy im afraid. if it was an indian curry house then perhaps

(Original post by Greyhound02)
    Well as soon as a thread begins about underrepresentation of ethnic minorities in a given profession I'm sure you will be the first to complain yet you have chosen to remain silent whilst the CRE discriminates against the majority.
    I thought i was quite vocal in pointing out that the levels of ethnic employees employed by CRE whilst off kilter if you take national averages are very much apporpriate for an institute based in inner city london and with HQs in inner cities across the country.

3rd post milado.

(Original post by technik)
    um?

you might not like national averages so how about some more local ones...

over 3/4 of people in london are white. whites are the largest group in all the boroughs of south london aswell (from what i can see not even just a "minority majority" but over 50% of population in all cases). from the CRE's website they appear to be based in whats closer to central london to me. as far as i can tell its in southwark. even that area doesnt manage this "over 35% ethnic minority" figure you came out with...and imagine...its also a white majority area. interesting.

for you its alright for a commission who deals with racial issues to employ disproportionate amounts of people from different minorities? pull the other one. i accept an organisation dealing with racial issues is likely to attract more applications from those from minorities. often racial issues tend to involve them or are portrayed to be racial. but to have less than 40% white staff when national, regional, and even local borough figures dont even come close to that ethnic distribution? no...thats a touch dodgy im afraid. if it was an indian curry house then perhaps
    mmmmm k. admittedly i misread the first article as being 37% ethnic minority, (not 37% white) but still trust someone who actually LIVES there that all the white people in southwark live in certain distinct areas. mainly uptowards the riverbank and a few nice streets near great dover street.
    A good deal of the white people that live in southwark work in the city and westminister.

Look, i'll be honest, you have to see it to understnad it. most of the white people you encounter in the areas around CRE will be students.
    [one reason why Lib Dem have such a majority]

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.