Turn on thread page Beta

The CRE is institutionally racist--SHOCK! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I thought i was quite vocal in pointing out that the levels of ethnic employees employed by CRE whilst off kilter if you take national averages are very much apporpriate for an institute based in inner city london and with HQs in inner cities across the country.

3rd post milado.
    I don't see how the ethnic composition of the CRE can be seen as legit even in central london. I live in central london half the year and although there's a heck of a lot of non-white British I wouldn't say there's enough to even come close to justifying the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    admittedly i misread the first article
    Well learn to read then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    mmmmm k. admittedly i misread the first article as being 37% ethnic minority, (not 37% white) but still trust someone who actually LIVES there that all the white people in southwark live in certain distinct areas. mainly uptowards the riverbank and a few nice streets near great dover street.
    A good deal of the white people that live in southwark work in the city and westminister.

Look, i'll be honest, you have to see it to understnad it. most of the white people you encounter in the areas around CRE will be students.
    [one reason why Lib Dem have such a majority]
    ah yes...they are mostly students

keep backing away from the thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    that is a bit of a joke really.

an organisation dealing with cultural and racial issues should be roughly representative of the population at large.
    The whole thing of equality and proportional representation is a farce. Any company that has a brain in its head will employ the people who do the best job assigned to them, not because they fulfil some idiotic quota based on their cultural or ethnic background.

(Original post by Greyhound02)
    I don't see how the ethnic composition of the CRE can be seen as legit even in central london. I live in central london half the year and although there's a heck of a lot of non-white British I wouldn't say there's enough to even come close to justifying the status quo.
    no, i misread '37% white' as '37% non-white'.
    but even still its not that unsurprising when you think the area of work they are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    The whole thing of equality and proportional representation is a farce. Any company that has a brain in its head will employ the people who do the best job assigned to them, not because they fulfil some idiotic quota based on their cultural or ethnic background.
    precisely...

a similar thing happens in northern ireland with religion but thats become discriminatory and does not care about "best candidates"

i said in my first reply that it should roughly correspond to the populations around it...and im not aware of any discrimination type employment practices being used in this instance.

in an area with an ethnic spread such as the areas/region/city whatever where the CRE is based you'd expect the resulting "best candidates" to come out a bit closer to the trends of population.

when an area has 2/3 white population and many of the surrounding boroughs are even higher but the organisation only manages to employ 1/3 white people i'd be getting a touch suspicious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuk20)
    Maybe someone should actually tell the CRE this??? They seem hell bent on ensuring as many ethnic minorities as possible are crammed into the emergency services at the expense of perfectly able white British candidates!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.