This discussion is closed.
MellyBelly
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
if i am 17 and i want an abortion ... if i want to go to a clinic with my bf ... does my parents have to know ... do i have to have someone with me older??
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MellyBelly)
if i am 17 and i want an abortion ... if i want to go to a clinic with my bf ... does my parents have to know ... do i have to have someone with me older??
Its confidential.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe you can go into a free clinic and have an abortion, its kept confidential. But why on earth would you want to do that?
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
May I ask why you want an abortion?
fluff
Report 15 years ago
mmmm........tough question.

i dont think that your parents have to know, they may tell you "you really should talk with your parents" but legally i doubt u have to.

and they certainly cant determine whether u have a abortion or not, coz then that wud go along the lines of "forcing u to hav a baby if they dont accept with abortion", therefore its your decision only.

your parents dont have to know, however, in most circumstanes, u shud tell your parents, unles they r like mine where u hate your dad to the brink of death, and your mum would go insane over it............

but thats just my family!
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I believe you can go into a free clinic and have an abortion, its kept confidential. But why on earth would you want to do that?
17 is really too young to have a baby, especially if u r thinking of a career/uni/further education etc like most women do.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why didn't you consider using contraceptives?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)
17 is really too young to have a baby, especially if u r thinking of a career/uni/further education etc like most women do.
But some still persevere.
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
no contracetive 100% guarantees preventing pregnancy........

although of course, i do see your point!!!

they just never learn do they.........

as the local old people in my area wud say lol:

"in my day we never had these fancy pills and clinics, if some1 got pregnant they had to hav teh lil babby................tough luck."
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)
One of my best freinds had a baby at 16, and still finished school and went to college, she now has a very good job. She did all that as a single mother to top it off. It's just a matter of getting your priorities straight. That's no excuse to abort a life that's selfish imo.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)
no contracetive 100% guarantees preventing pregnancy........

although of course, i do see your point!!!

they just never learn do they.........

as the local old people in my area wud say lol:

"in my day we never had these fancy pills and clinics, if some1 got pregnant they had to hav teh lil babby................tough luck."
Or:

"in my day we never had these fancy pills and clinics, we had to use sheep intestines for condoms........tough luck"
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
But some still persevere.
yes, but if one is sure of wanting a career and is pregnant at 17, then i wud advise to not go through with it.

even if they hav strong plans 4 a career, i wouldnt advise having a baby. i know its not my decision or anythin of course, but 17 is way too young. u r still a child at that age, even more so emotionally and mentally.

in my view, unless it was planned or u really have decided u want it, then its best not to go ahead. at such a young age with a lot ahppening, its too much a sacrifice - for yourself and for the baby's sake.
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)
yes, but if one is sure of wanting a career and is pregnant at 17, then i wud advise to not go through with it.

even if they hav strong plans 4 a career, i wouldnt advise having a baby. i know its not my decision or anythin of course, but 17 is way too young. u r still a child at that age, even more so emotionally and mentally.

in my view, unless it was planned or u really have decided u want it, then its best not to go ahead. at such a young age with a lot ahppening, its too much a sacrifice - for yourself and for the baby's sake.
i talked all about this in my R.E exam, weighing up both sides of teh argument for abortion!!

noooo!!!! the memories! a painful 2 hours!!
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)

I have to disagree, theres always adoption, doesn't the child deserve life.
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I have to disagree, theres always adoption, doesn't the child deserve life.
yes - it deserves a good life.

if a mum cant give that, then i dont see how its fair on a child.

adoption in my view is like neglection. when the child grows older, it will think "my mum doesnt care about me.....".

theres always the tag of "unwanted child" in the back of a mind of an adopted child.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In the UK it is confidential if you are over 16. I dont know what it is like anywhere else.

This might give you some info
http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/ca...CA&x=wrt&all=0
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
How do you know that contraceptives werent used? Dont jump to conclusions!
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
In the UK it is confidential if you are over 16. I dont know what it is like anywhere else.

This might give you some info
http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/ca...CA&x=wrt&all=0
often in america the legal ages r more stricter - i have a feeling it may be 18 over there. (coz the person in question's profile said toronto.)
fluff
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
How do you know that contraceptives werent used? Dont jump to conclusions!
look at my last post!
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fluff)
often in america the legal ages r more stricter - i have a feeling it may be 18 over there. (coz the person in question's profile said toronto.)
That's not america thats canada.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (164)
70.69%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
12.07%

Watched Threads