Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the thread with the guy who has asked someone to look at his list for things to take to uni and was thinking about how many people follow the advice given about buying in pound shops and cheaper ways to do things.

When I was at uni last year everyone of the girls who I lived with had come from quite wealthy backgrounds and didnt seem to struggle like I did.

One girl purchased 3 designer bags and was constantly buying clothes. I dont know any one who bought clothes from charity shops or would eat value branded food (apart from me).

Is this a rare case or do students not live up to the image of students anymore?

ReputationRep:
    I certainly didn't live like a student. I doubt i'll ever live to the same standard as i did at university ever again!

ReputationRep:
    People live to their means and they always have. It just seems that people are more willing to mix with people from different class backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    depends on if u get a parttime job, then u can afford to live beyound ur means and/or whether u r from a well-off family. I certainly dont live like a student! I neither have a job or get help from parents!! u just learn to cope and prioritize things!!

ReputationRep:
    I live a bit like a student..I buy cheaply at Asda (and from reduced aisles), have a night out on a tenner, that kind of thing.

I'm from a "middle class" background and get an allowance from my mum so I don't really need to desperately track every penny but I'm saving as much as I can so I can pay back my student loan within about 3 years of graduating (finger crossed). Having said that recent family circumstances means we're in a bit of a tight situation at the moment so I really will be living cheaply and working in the holidays as much as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Nope Ilive pretty well for a student. I've just come back from a £3000 holiday, so I guess I am not your typical student Mind you, I did work to pay for it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Nope Ilive pretty well for a student. I've just come back from a £3000 holiday, so I guess I am not your typical student Mind you, I did work to pay for it. :p:

Nice one. Any tips - apart from working your butt off

ReputationRep:
    i am poor and my family is too,but being a student is the richest i have been! i spent a fortune on make-up in the last two years, but this is the only area where i am a spendthrift, otherwise i shop in primark and h&m, dont buy brands unless its warburtons seeded batch and i am a complete cheapskate, i save money wherever i can. quite a lot of people i know at uni are quite well off though, they get an allowance off their parents and put their loan in a savings account. i think i was the only one in my house of 7 who actually had to spend my loan in the first 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    If you are like me or some other people you will have savings from working for 2 years, and a lot of people will already have designer clothers for birthday / christmas anyways. Also part time jobs get you say £100 - £200 a week... that is plenty to pay your rent, save a little and have a bit of luxary / fun =P

I got about £2k in my bank... I am keeping that as insurence... that doesn't get spent on luxuaries but anything I earn after bills etc goes on me or on savings

ReputationRep:
    I try not to live like a student!

ReputationRep:
    Part of student life should be trying to find the cheapest possible things!!! Half the fun is going through pound shops and the like to find some really good things at cheap prices. A lot of people I know get a lot of money from parents. Not directly, but the parents pay for accomodation and fees and such (works out to about £3000 a year) leaving the whole student loan for whatever you want to spend it on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    If you are like me or some other people you will have savings from working for 2 years, and a lot of people will already have designer clothers for birthday / christmas anyways. Also part time jobs get you say £100 - £200 a week... that is plenty to pay your rent, save a little and have a bit of luxary / fun =P

I got about £2k in my bank... I am keeping that as insurence... that doesn't get spent on luxuaries but anything I earn after bills etc goes on me or on savings

100-200 a week for a part time job??? :eek: Where do you work? Most unis recommend that you don't work more than 15 hours a week. I'd get just under 90 a week if i did that and i'm on a good wage!

ReputationRep:
    haha, I get £7 an hour =P
    But I know some people on like £8 - £9 who have really good jobs. Accounting jobs are good to look for... usually companies want a account say Sat & Sun to do their accounting for them, pay them high and have that sorted.

I work at a sales place Commision... I have been on £12.00 an hour once... was so awesome... sometimes you are on like £4.50 an hour though which sucks! average is £7.00 for me though i,e, above.

BTW HEY MOUSEY LTNS, how did the English exam go hehe!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just a follow on, I knew a 17 year old who was on £19.00 an hour from telesales nearly every week, If you are good at that kinda think try Anglian... they pay you £4.70 basic I think and then an extra 50p an hour for every quote you give... probably get you quite a bit if you stick at it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.