Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can somebody please help me with these questions. Iam really really stuck on these.

a) how does Laud justify the imposition of ceremonies and set prayers in the church?

b) why would these arguments appeal to a personality such as charles?

c) what does charles' determination to impose this order reveal about: his personality and his political skills?

ReputationRep:
    V. Short Answers:

1) Because it is an outward show of religion and faith to other countries: "external worship of god in his church is the greatest witness to the world". "Inward Worship of the heart" isn't lavish enough for the Archbishop.

1) Charles' personality was apparently fixed and stoical, and he loved outward displays of wealth - his treatment of Buckingham especially - and, due to the extreme nature of Laud's proposed reformation of the protestant church to one which looked VERY similar to catholicism, the reformation meant that he could impose his rule upon his three kingdoms due to his intense belief in "divine right".

3) Personality: Stubborn and arrogant, changing protestantism to near-catholicism is akin to forcing footballers to become ballerinas in modern times (i.e. nobody would like it). Wanted to be different from his father James I (or was it VI?) - the compromiser king?
    Political skills: He didn't have many. Cold, fridgid character, his court was very much "fawn upon the king". AVID, truly AVID, even RABID believer in "the Divine Right of kings" (ie. appointed by god). <<<< thus believed that he was the ultimate ruler. Led to fallout with parliament over the years, obviously - due to religious changes mainly, and to a lesser extent financial.

I haven't done history questions for quite a while now... that was quite an effort, and rubbish at that. Sorry if I haven't helped

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2005

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.