Turn on thread page Beta

Exam stress 'makes pupils drink' Article watch

Exam stress 'makes pupils drink'
    Students awaiting A-level examination results are turning to drink to relieve the stress, according to a report.

A University of Hertfordshire report found one in 10 parents believe their stressed-out children drink more.

The teenagers suffer anxiety, disturbed sleep, mood swings and loss of self-esteem between the exams and their grades, the research found.

The whole family is affected with 25% of mothers and 16% of fathers admitting stress ahead of the exam results.

'Always alternatives'

Mood swings by their teenage children was regarded as a telling factor.

One in 10 parents said it was evidence that their child's alcohol consumption was increasing while 4% claimed their children were smoking more in the run-up to results day.

YouGov surveyed 1,570 British parents online in July for the University of Hertfordshire which said the key is for parents and teenagers to talk things through.

A spokesman said: "There are always alternatives, even if students don't get the exact results they need."
    Bold point No:

1. Only too true :cool:
    2. That is also very correct
    3. I can also be a moody ******* aswell. :p:
    4. What? Like prolonging university! i dont think so!

ReputationRep:
    i don't seem to get any of those sideffects...

ReputationRep:
    Obviously we're going to drink more out of term time?

(Original post by kizdesai)
    Obviously we're going to drink more out of term time?
    Yes. but you drink less then you would without any awaiting results.

ReputationRep:
    damn straight i am stessed. Don't think i drink more cause of it though.. just coz its the summer.

ReputationRep:
    i think the drinking makes us more stressed, cause next day when u get a hangover the day feels like forever making me even more stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny_nina)
    i think the drinking makes us more stressed, cause next day when u get a hangover the day feels like forever making me even more stressed.
    True. Drinking when you're stressed doesn't feel good to me anyway and the next day I feel more stressed anyway. Regular alcohol consumption causes more stress unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    got to admit i have been drinking more the last few weeks (well since i started counting down) and my plan for the 18th is well...drinking.

Meh i'm preparing myself for student life.

I'm also taking Kalms cos i'm such a nervous wreck

edit: ahh my mum has bee taking them too...bless her i've got her worried over these exams

ReputationRep:
    We didn't drink during our exams, but we all got completely wasted AFTER the exams to celebrate that we never had to do them again... until next year... when there will be more drinking!

ReputationRep:
    Hah. Haven't had anything at all. Lies! Lies!

ReputationRep:
    2 is very true,honstly,but 3 is not because I suffer from 2 but I do not drink

ReputationRep:
    "Always alternatives". Yes, but rubbish alternatives if you mess up your grades.

I'm drunk right now.

Why would that be, if A-levels are now oh-so easy? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A University of Hertfordshire report found one in 10 parents believe their stressed-out children drink more.
    Parental opinion is hardly scientific

I don't really believe a significant portion of people awaiting results drink because of stress. I just have never encountered it in my personal experience. It's just as exams are over it's party time! Plus the most of the students would have just turned 18 in their A-Level year so you can expect them to go out and enjoy a few drinks more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    I'm drunk right now.

Why would that be, if A-levels are now oh-so easy? :rolleyes:
    You're clearly drunk with hapiness at their easiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    "Always alternatives". Yes, but rubbish alternatives if you mess up your grades.

Or alternatives like...drinking more alcohol

ReputationRep:
    Yes... it's the exam stress!

ReputationRep:
    It's a sad and painful truth, I spent a long time discussing it last night... in the pub :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ha, that bit about families getting stressed makes me laugh. My family don't care.

ReputationRep:
    2+2=5 I would stop being so cocky about your grades if I were you, from my experience people who are cockey a smack in their mouth as they suddently crash back down to planet earth.

As for alternatives a year is only a year, its not really a long time in the grand scheme of things and if you do mess up it really really isn't the end of the world. It might seem like it on results day but its not.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.