Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive never been before, what is there to do ?

ReputationRep:
    Smoke. Drink. Walk around.

Moulin-Rouge, Heineken Museum. I can direct you to good smoking places too.

ReputationRep:
    well, theres alot to do just at the airport...
    i've only been to Schiphol unfortunately...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends what you're going for hehe.

I mean you can do the whole sitting in a cafe smoking cannabis and then go to the red light district thing. Alternatively, there are really decent museums in Amsterdam, quite a few sightseeing opportunities and various restaurants.

Of course, you could combine all of this

ReputationRep:
    i heard theres a pink floyd weed cafe, i love pink floyd and weed so..

ReputationRep:
    We just walked around for ages. My advice is that if you are going during the week, (as we did) is that you start off early, since it all closes up early at about 2 in the morning.

We just walked around the red light district really, went into a few bars. It isn't the most welcoming city in the world, and don't talk to anyone who talks to you on the street!!

ReputationRep:
    you HAVE to go to the Heineken museum it rocks - they give you 1.5 pints of beer along the way too and you get a free glass

ReputationRep:
    You can walk on the parts of the pavements reserved for bikes and get shouted at by all the Dutch cyclists for being non-Dutch, and a tourist.

ReputationRep:
    i was going to go with the college on a trip but didn't bother lols

ReputationRep:
    I went in July with friends and had a fantastic time. It's so beautiful. Definitely try and get to any museums as early on as possible. The coach-loads of tourists seemed to arrive around half-ten/eleven. In the evenings, we walked around the city because it's gorgeous. I actually found the locals really welcoming (aside from the cyclists :-S) - not in a strange way!

ReputationRep:
    Here's something I've posted before in another thread on exactly this topic

(Original post by blissy)
    We spent ten days in Amsterdam the first time we went and I've been back since! There is absolutely loads to do aside from drugs and sex shows!
    Here is some of the stuff we did:

- Van Gogh Museum
    - Rijksmuseum
    - Troppenmuseum
    - Hortus Botanicus
    - Artis Zoo
    - Kattenkabin
    - Tushinski Theatre
    - Cannabis College & linked things!
    - Red Light District
    - Flower Market
    - Flower parade
    - Diamond Factory
    - Jewish History Museum
    - Anne Frank's House
    - Parks and Memorials
    - Lovely restaurants and cafes (not coffeeshops necessarily!)
    - Madam Tussauds

And there are hundreds of amazing shops; ones that sell only toothbrushes, shops full of produce from other parts of the world, some very very cool design shops, wooden toy shops, art shops, markets etc. etc!

The city is beautiful and so nice to walk around - Herenstraat was lovely, Museumplein is nice too! You just need to get on a tram or sneltran, plan your trip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    You can walk on the parts of the pavements reserved for bikes and get shouted at by all the Dutch cyclists for being non-Dutch, and a tourist.
    or walk around and try to work out if the thing in the window is a man, woman or gorilla.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.