Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else chosen to do a science in AS when having only done single science at GCSE? Or have you done it? How hard did you find it?? Thanx

ReputationRep:
    i did double science and got BB. i did AS physics and it was f*cking hard!!! very hard. i failed the AS you have to really like physics and be good at maths and stuff otherwise you end up giving up like i did. also good teachers are important. 9 people did it in my year and 5 got U's! if you're motivated though, its a good subject to do as it is a harder one (i think so anywy)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do Single Science nor did I do AS Physics but I have looked through my college prospectus and it says those who want to do AS Physics with single Science must have achieved at least a grade B along with a grade B at GCSE Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    It would be difficult when most people taking it have done double science and some have done triple, but if you're really interested in physics and good at maths, it could be done. I'd recommend reading up on the double and perhaps triple topics you didn't cover over the next few weeks though.

ReputationRep:
    yeah. i found there was lots of stuff the triple award people knew and were like "this is easy" so coming from single award it would be even harder i found that with chemistry too (i gave that up after a week!)

ReputationRep:
    thanx, yeah im worried cause i no its gunna be really hard. I'm predicted the grades to be able to get in and stuff i just hope i'l b able to stick at it and do well. Plus i need it if i do do an engineering course when i go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at this website... it covers Science Double Award and will probably include some material you havn't looked at... http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/physics/

ReputationRep:
    It probably will be hard, but if you're willing to put in the extra work behind the scenes I guess you'll be OK. It's probably a good idea to get a CGP guide or something for Physics so that you can go through the extra modules that you didn't do. I think the general policy for AS Sciences is that they teach as if the whole form has done the double award, so you probably want to keep this in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Most places expect you to have done Double GCSE Science or GCSE Physics before you can go onto AS level. Still, get a GCSE revision guide for double science or GCSE Physics and get reading. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainy_skye)
    Has anybody else chosen to do a science in AS when having only done single science at GCSE? Or have you done it? How hard did you find it?? Thanx
    Surely there must have been a reason you chose to/were made to do single science. You should think about your decision more before you make it final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    Surely there must have been a reason you chose to/were made to do single science. You should think about your decision more before you make it final.

Some schools only offer single science. Obviously I don't know for sure whether this is the case here, but I'm just saying she may be perfectly capable of Double Award, just not given the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I did double science and got an A at GCSE and also got an A in maths GCSE, took AS physics and found it really hard, but for some god unkown reason didn't drop it at the end of my AS year and did it to A2, where I struggled through it, every moment regretting having taken it at all.
    Not everyone will find it hard, but for me physics was by a long way my hardest subject, much worse than math + economics, I'd recommend only do it if you are very good at it and really enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    the specification on the AQA website does say that physics is a very accesable course in that little prior scientific knowledge is needed and only basic mathematical skills are required (i.e. not much beyond GCSE). So even if you got low grades in your GCSE's it might be worth giving it a go as alevels are different and just because someone has an A* in a subject at GCSE does not automatically mean that they will experience the same sucsess at alevel

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 people in my class who did single science and they struggled big time with things like electricity and radioactivity etc. It isnt really that accesible, and looking at A2 it gets much harder in the 2nd year! But it really is fun,and if you have a real intrest and love of science then do it im sure youl enjoy it, but in the mean time catch up with what you missed by not doing 3 sciences!

ReputationRep:
    My advice, you still have 3-4 weeks until term starts. Get a double science GCSE book and go through it. The Physics sections will not take you long at all, and work through some questions. Once the AS Physics starts you can then read up on each topic from you A level book without being baffled by it all.
    Its easily doable, so go for it and good luck. Make sure you really want to do the subject and you enjoy it, because its is by far the most challenging A level imho-- whether you have done triple or single science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainy_skye)
    i did the single/triple science Gcse and then did AS Physics. To be honest, it starts off a little hard, but if you're motivated, then you won't really find a problem with it. Also you need have a really good grasp of Maths. Though, it doesnt depend on which exam board you are on as well, I'm on OCR and it's pretty independent study-wise, but hey i love physics.

ReputationRep:
    lol - at school i was never told the information about the implications of doing single science instead of double science. I am predicted the grades to be able to do the subject. Why did i choose to do it, mainly because i am interested in engineering, and to go on to do a engineering course in uni, i will need to do physics A-level. My school has already said that if in my results for single science i dont acieve the grade need to go on to do A-level im able to resit and do double-science aswell as doing the A-level at the same time - which would be soooo much work. Hopefully i get the grades Thanx for the advice etc.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.