Turn on thread page Beta

So...talking to girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mankyscot2)
    Yeah i wasn't wanting chat up lines i just want some tips to approach women. I have the confidence and I have the smile but I just am worried that if I say hi I will have nothing to follow up. Does any of this make sense. I don't nessicarily want to bed them I just like getting to know women. I have had female friends my whole life and now I have none.

If you sound interested in the girl like asking her questions then thats a good start. Obviously as you said you don't wanna sound like an interview but hopefully after one or two questions you'll have found something in common that'll take the conversation out of the interview kinda format! Well i know i'd be interested in a guy if they sounded genuinely like they were interested in what i had to say...

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't exactly helpful, but never ever approach someone and tell them they're beautiful. I get that from time to time and I know it's not because I am beautiful, it's because I'm young and female and have a pulse, and that they're pickup merchants that would hit on anyone.

Something normal will be far more successful, even if it's something like a comment about the surroundings or asking the time or something. As long as it's relevant, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Anyway, I reckon it's all about the eye contact. If you make good eye contact before approaching her then you know there's a mutual "mmm I'd like to talk to that person.." thing.
    As a bit of a pessimist, eye contact suggests to me that I've been obviously staring at the other person and they're currently thinking 'why is this strange, possibly [mad/sex offender/weird - delete as occasion warrants] bloke staring at me?!'

ReputationRep:
    No I don't agree, if you look a girl straight in the eye and don't look away when they look at you (sign of insecurity/shouldn't really be staring at you), then you almost always get a smile or a 'hi!'. As long as you are not giving them evil looks and are just looking at them, possibly with a bit of a curious look on you face.

I can do all that but I don't really know what to talk about once I get passed this stage.

ReputationRep:
    well, from the girl's point of view she's going to be thinking one of two things, namely, sussing you out and thinking "wow h'es really fit/cute/good looking" or ok, there's a guy staring at me and she will start thinking of why that could be, she will look back at you and then possibly smile, laugh, turn to her friends to find out what they think of you and the situation and then if she is confident it is possible that she will majke the first move.

However, coming out of fairytale land now, it is even more possible that she will expect you to make the first move (I know I do! lol) so, it makes far more sense (in my opinion) to either smile at her, mouth the words "you alright?" By this time she will know your acknowledging her (as apposed to possibly comparing her to a number of other females in the room -very disconcerting) and so she will feel more comfortable about responding to you. From there you could wait until she goes up to the bar top get a drink, or when she is on her own then go up to the bar too - just get a drink - queue up behind her or turn up beside her. Just look at her VERY briefly and say, "hi again" shell reply and then go onto tlk as though you have known her for a while, I start to feel pretty uncomfortable when guys talk to me as though I haven't met them before and there's that awkward silence there. I find it much easier to talk as though you have known each other for ages and say stuff like: hey thats pretty cool (refer to a piece of jewellery she is wearing) that way you're not shrouding her with pointles comments and compliments but actually acknowleging her with some decency and not necessarily going over the top, but yea i do agree that after that you should walk away (at least attempt to, then possibly stop (depending on the reaction you already got tfrom that) and ask her to join you. That way it looks like you just thought of that on the offchance and didn't plan it all along.

I probably could have summarised this but what the hell.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey you know that is really good advice tabbycat, ta very much.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.