Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal guys...I took my A levels last year but for various reasons cocked up my Chemistry A level, altho the other two maths and economics went fine. I'd already pulled out of the UCAS system because I wasn't too keen on going to Manchester my first choice in the end. Instead i'd already planned a gap year in which i worked for the bank of Scotland for 9 months in order to get some vital experience...

I knew i needed one more B, to get into Birmingham...BUT instead of doing wot n e normal person would do and retake my chemistry, I decided I'd try and be a hero and do further maths independently in the space of a year whilst working full time....Not a gud idea mite I add, altho at the time i felt the new A-level would allow me to keep my maths up to date so that i would not fall behind in my Economics degree course....

Here's the problem tho. I took my exams in June and am 100% sure i didn't get a B...infact i'm praying for a C. I know this will mean i miss the grade but how sympatehetic do u think the Uni will be with my circumstances???? And also they seemed to have offered every1 else BBB whereas mines ABB! surely they shud take me if i got a C instead of a B rite??????

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how popular the course is, and how many people meet their expected grades.

ReputationRep:
    my situation is vaguely similar...I've been offered AAA to do law and i'm pretty sure i'll end up with AAB/ABB at brum of course. When i went for the open day the head of the department said that if they were your first choice then they were likely to be lenient should you miss your grades by a small margin they might still consider you. However! recent newpaper reports about the growing number of top grades and high number of applicants this year do not fill me with much confidence, if you dont get your results then call them, there is always a chance you'll get in but don't pin all your hopes on it.

I've already been looking at possible clearing courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClosetGinger)
    my situation is vaguely similar...I've been offered AAA to do law and i'm pretty sure i'll end up with AAB/ABB at brum of course. When i went for the open day the head of the department said that if they were your first choice then they were likely to be lenient should you miss your grades by a small margin they might still consider you. However! recent newpaper reports about the growing number of top grades and high number of applicants this year do not fill me with much confidence, if you dont get your results then call them, there is always a chance you'll get in but don't pin all your hopes on it.

I've already been looking at possible clearing courses!
    Don't you have an insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, just explain your situation to them and hopefully I'll see you there this September...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    Here's the deal guys...I took my A levels last year but for various reasons cocked up my Chemistry A level, altho the other two maths and economics went fine. I'd already pulled out of the UCAS system because I wasn't too keen on going to Manchester my first choice in the end. Instead i'd already planned a gap year in which i worked for the bank of Scotland for 9 months in order to get some vital experience...

I knew i needed one more B, to get into Birmingham...BUT instead of doing wot n e normal person would do and retake my chemistry, I decided I'd try and be a hero and do further maths independently in the space of a year whilst working full time....Not a gud idea mite I add, altho at the time i felt the new A-level would allow me to keep my maths up to date so that i would not fall behind in my Economics degree course....

Here's the problem tho. I took my exams in June and am 100% sure i didn't get a B...infact i'm praying for a C. I know this will mean i miss the grade but how sympatehetic do u think the Uni will be with my circumstances???? And also they seemed to have offered every1 else BBB whereas mines ABB! surely they shud take me if i got a C instead of a B rite??????
    What circumstances are there to be sympathetic about? You chose to do what you did..

ReputationRep:
    They might, especially if you get a high C in further maths and thus only miss your offer by a few UMS marks, but it depends how everyone else does. If you do get a high C and/or the AB you already have were high marks, use that to plead your case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    What circumstances are there to be sympathetic about? You chose to do what you did..

The fact that instead of doing a subject which would be less relevant for my course i.e. chemistry, i chose to do a brand new course in the space of a year AND independently....

And

that the subjects i chose were pretty hard Eco, Maths and further maths...in comparison to various other A-levels....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    The fact that instead of doing a subject which would be less relevant for my course i.e. chemistry, i chose to do a brand new course in the space of a year AND independently....

And

that the subjects i chose were pretty hard Eco, Maths and further maths...in comparison to various other A-levels....
    Doing it independently will certainly score you some points, especially doing arguably the hardest a-level subject. If i was you and i do miss the offer and phoned them id defo make the point it aught myself etc.

Well if your clever enought o teach yourself further maths in ywar im sure you will do fine and get the grades you obviously deserver. It was hard enough for me doing a-level maths in one year never mind further!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)

And

Good luck man, just say what goody said. You should be fine, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)

And

i dont really think that last comment is fair. There's no way of measuring it. One person's hard is another one's easy and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    i dont really think that last comment is fair. There's no way of measuring it. One person's hard is another one's easy and vice versa.

ur obviously just lookin for an arguement so i'll stop it rite here and say let's agree to disagree....

To all others....thanks for ur advice, hope u all get the grades u need and go to the university u have ur heart set on....

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    :flute:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, exactly. Just because one person finds maths, further maths and economics hard doesn't mean everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose he has proved maths and economics aren't challenging to him and he obviously enjoys them, so he is in a brilliant position to do BSc. Economics. I'm hoping they let you in for my personal gain, I can see your maths knowledge coming quite useful to me as a personal tutor when I start floundering at all the quantative methods we're going to have to learn :confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.