Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Yes it does.
    Pardon. Care to expand on that. Just what can 'YOU' do to an animal just because you own it???

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. They're only animals. Their owner should have the right to do whatever they want to them.
    Hmm, thats an ignorant veiw. If your going to take on the responsibility of owning a pet you have to care for that pet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Well, it comes down to the situation really. I worked as a vet tech for awhile but quit because of aminals being put down for stupid reasons. However there are times when it is nessacary. 2 personal exp's we had a dog who was 11 and had a tumor the size of a basketball in her stomach, we didn't know until it was too late as she was abit overweight and showed no signs, anyway the vet told us it would rupture w/in a week as it was growing so fast and she would have died painfully so we put her down.
    Another exp. Our last german sheppard was a wolf hybrid we didn't know this when we bought him, and found out when he was a year old and we were very attached to him. He went crazy to put it mildly, he attacked me (the family member he always followed arround) I had to have 30 stitches put in my hand. we kept him 2 months later he went for my mothers throat, thank god I had him trained because he listened to my commands and stopped. We took him and had him put down (he tried to attack the vet in the process BTW). It was hard but what other option was there, he would have killed someone.
    On another note, my cat of 18 yrs came down w/ feline leaukemia, he was bearly eating anything and was wasting away to nothing but still was very active and playful. the vet said put him down he is in pain. I could tell he wasn't so we brought him home to live out the remainder of his life, he died 2 weeks later in comfort laying in his favorite spot by the window.
    So like I say it all comes down to the situation, sometimes it is what is best.
    Damn that has to be my longest post ever!
    Like you say - it is the situation that will play a significant part in the veterinary surgeons decision. As it stands the RSPCA advises that in the event of a second attack the animal should be destroyed under the dangerous dog's act. So in most cases animals wont be destroyed after one attack. It is also the case that some behaviour may be identified early and can be referred to a behaviourist who can work together with the owner to try and rid the animal of some of its unruly behaviour - this often works well. Some dogs that dont respond to this sometimes become working dogs for services such as the police and MOD.
    Euthanasia of an altogether well behaved animal is a different situation again. I believe that in this case the veterinary surgeon plays a role that is acting in the best interests for the animal when owners can often become emotionally involved. The are, if you like, the voice of the animal. They will have been trained to deal with animals and their owners, and can often come to a mutual decision to the idea of euthanasia. A vet will before becoming a member of the Royal College have to agree to the charter that explains that they will act in the best way possible for animal welfare.

(Original post by Sire)
    Pardon. Care to expand on that. Just what can 'YOU' do to an animal just because you own it???
    Anything. They're just 'things' that peope own.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, thats an ignorant veiw. If your going to take on the responsibility of owning a pet you have to care for that pet.
    Well put. I can't believe people actually feel they can do what they want to animals. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Righto then. You're a twit. Your parents own you. But they aren't allowed to cut a leg off you for fun. Would you do that to a dog you ****wit?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Just things? Hmm, interesting very interesting.
    Define thing if you will
    You see my definition of a thing is something that does not breathe, does not feel, does not eat, does not sleep and so on.
    Thing you say, animals are our brothers and sisters on this earth, we are theyre caretakers and so it is our responsibility to see that they are infact treated humanley.
    What do define as anything?
    Is it ok to kick your dog because it pissed you off?
    You have a very ignorant view indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAngelx)
    Just wondered if i'm alone by been against it??

Depends really.
    I would not put an animal down if it was not ness.
    My rabbit was put down because it was parallysed and could not move, dont know how it happened.
    Eventually she stopped eating and drinking.
    So i though it is better to go peacefully, than to go painfully

ReputationRep:
    Define thing if you will
    You see my definition of a thing is something that does not breathe, does not feel, does not eat, does not sleep and so on.
    Thing you say, animals are our brothers and sisters on this earth, we are theyre caretakers and so it is our responsibility to see that they are infact treated humanley.
    What do define as anything?
    Is it ok to kick your dog because it pissed you off?
    You have a very ignorant view indeed.
    Quite. I'm in no way religious, but the book does have some good points to live by. One such point is as follows.... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Quite. I'm in no way religious, but the book does have some good points to live by. One such point is as follows.... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    I don't know how religous I would say i am, most of my veiws come from a native american upbringing, in which we have a deep respect for all of the great spirit's creatures.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how religous I would say i am, most of my veiws come from a native american upbringing, in which we have a deep respect for all of the great spirits creatures.
    Spirit creatures? Does that include garden gnomes or badgers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Badgers? Whats wrong with the good old badger? Loved wind in the willows

ReputationRep:
    OK I've edited it, but yes we do believe in spirit animals, gnomes I don't think so, bagders sure.

ReputationRep:
    my beagle got cancer and we had her put to sleep because at the time they didnt have any treatment for her......her name was peppy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    my beagle got cancer and we had her put to sleep because at the time they didnt have any treatment for her......her name was peppy
    My border collie/beagle cross looks like she has bowel cancer. If so, I'm putting the poor girl down. There really is no need for an animal to suffer.

ReputationRep:
    OK I've edited it, but yes we do believe in spirit animals, gnomes I don't think so, bagders sure.
    What? How can you say that gnomes aren't animals?

ReputationRep:
    What? How can you say that gnomes aren't animals?
    Aren't they more like dwarfs or leperchauns?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they more like dwarfs or leperchauns?
    Is a garden gnome a living creature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is a garden gnome a living creature?

Yes. They stand very still when you're looking at them, but as soon as you turn away...

Hmm, could somebody possibly be trying to wind everyone up?!

Oh, and to whoever said that dogs can 'only' bite: a dog can kill. There have been many recorded cases of dogs mauling small children. Some of those children died. I imagine if your child had been attacked and killed by a dog you would want it put down.

(Original post by Sire)
    Your parents own you.
    No they don't.

(Original post by Sire)
    Would you do that to a dog you ****wit?
    No, I don't mistreat animals, but I don't see what the big deal is if anyone does. I doubt anyone cuts off dogs' legs.

Define thing if you will
    I don't think I can define what a 'thing' is. I've never been very good at english. Basically, what I meant was 'not human'.

You just look at the world in a different way to me.

When you say it is 'wrong', for people to do particular things, you mean 'immoral'. I don't beleive in morals. The way I see it, animals are just chemical processes. We're all just chemical processes. When you look at it from this perspective it just seems meaningless to call the act of one group of atoms doing something to another group of atoms 'wrong'.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.