Turn on thread page Beta

Theres been another plane crash, my heart goes out to the victims.

Fear for 152 in Venezuela jet crash
    16 August 2005

A passenger plane has crashed in remote western Venezuela with 152 passengers on board, according to an aviation official.

It was unclear whether anyone survived.

Other stories:

Fear for 152 in Venezuela jet crash

Debate opens on choosing baby's sex

Inflation rises with oil prices

Clarke renews terror attack warning

UK scientists in cell breakthrough

Flood village remembers - a year on

Prison chief raps detainee centres

Elderly may have to sign away homes

Muslims challenge PM's terror plans

Black box damage hits crash probe

The West Caribbean Airways plane was heading from Panama to Martinique when its pilot reported engine trouble to the Caracas airport.

Airport authorities lost radio contact with the plane later in the area of Machiques, in the western state of Zulia.

"Residents in the area said they heard an explosion," Francisco Paz, president of the National Civil Aviation Institute said. "Air rescue teams are travelling to the area right now by air and by land."

He said the pilot reported trouble with both engines to the Caracas air control tower, and authorities lost contact with the plane roughly 10 minutes later.

The plane had been chartered for tourists and 152 passengers were listed on the flight plan, Paz said. It wasn't immediately clear how many crew members accompanied them.

The plane was believed to have gone down between two farms in the remote zone.

West Caribbean Airways, a Colombian airline, began service in 1998.

In March, a twin-engine plane operated by the same airline crashed during take-off from the Colombian island of Old Providence, killing eight people and injuring the other six passengers.

The question, has to be asked why has there been quite a few plan crashes recently?

like the one in toronto and another place ( ican't remember )

ReputationRep:
    OH lord.

ReputationRep:
    what's with all these plane crashes?

(Original post by heminder)
    what's with all these plane crashes?
    Exactly, tis what im wondering :*scratches head*

ReputationRep:
    What I find most concerning is the fact that there is no survivors in any of them, despite the good safety provisions on aircrafts. The Helios airliner that crashed was one of the safest there is...

ReputationRep:
    It's awful. Air travel is supposed to be the safest way of travelling so why so many plane disasters in the last week? That air france one was ok i suppose (compared to the others) seeing as no-one died. However, it's really wierd how there's suddenly a load of plane crashes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    What I find most concerning is the fact that there is no survivors in any of them, despite the good safety provisions on aircrafts. The Helios airliner that crashed was one of the safest there is...
    except the one in toronto, where every single person walked off????

to be honest, thhis year in general has been a phenomenal year for airtravel, in a good sense. untill this week, there have been VERY few major incidents. I think they are just catching up with us.

To the industry insiders, Helios has always been a bit dubious as an operator, and it wouldnt come as a surprise if the oxygen pyro's on the aircraft were inproperly maintained....but that is just speculation.

Before everyone started shouting airtravel is soo dangerous, check the facts, it is still the second safest form of travel per mile.

If you flew every day between 1990 - 1999 on a british airline, you were more likely to be killed by your trousers!

ReputationRep:
    I was kinda expecting there to be a third

ReputationRep:
    I might be a bit of a cynic, but the media often likes their themes.
    The uproar with the strikes. One plane crash.. and second plane crash.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they happen more often than we think in these far flung places but they're not as much in the spotlight as they are at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    It's true actually..there are loads you never hear about.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v....cgi?year=2005

how many of these did you hear about this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    As far as I know, with the Helios plane crash it was the faulty cabin pressure that was the problem, not one of the actual safety features e.g. oxygen masks, emergency doors. I think had the cabin pressure been fine, then the plane would have had a normal journey...

(if im completely wrong then please correct me, as im not 100% sure!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    As far as I know, with the Helios plane crash it was the faulty cabin pressure that was the problem, not one of the actual safety features e.g. oxygen masks, emergency doors. I think had the cabin pressure been fine, then the plane would have had a normal journey...

(if im completely wrong then please correct me, as im not 100% sure!)
    sort of..... If a cabin pressure falls below 10,000ft (the minimum allowable safe pressure), then oxygen masks automatically drop for the passenger giving them 45 seconds to 2 minutes of oxygen. In the cockpit, the pilots are supplied oxygen using a pure supply system (from and oxygen tank). The pilots then execute a fairly severe manouvre to bring the aircraft to 9,000ft where the air is breathable without assistance. If this system fails, then the pilots have just 15 seconds to drop the aircraft 26,000ft. This is realistically impossible, and after 15 seconds, they will have become unconcious. The passengers will have been breathing oxgen from the overgead masks, but after 45 seconds, these will have begun to run out, as they also began to go unconcious.....the rest is inevitable

ReputationRep:
    it said somewhere that they froze to death :-\

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the guy that said he received that SMS from the Helios flight saying that they were freezing has been arrested for making the story up.

ReputationRep:
    Haha fair enough

ReputationRep:
    I've just got off a plane and was very worried as the Helios crash happened the day before I was going. Air travel is quite safe and is getting safer. On my outgoing flight we had a security alert as someone had left their mobile phone in the loo and wasn't claiming it, and mobiles have been used to set off bombs.

The crashes are awful but must be kept in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkymonkey)
    sort of..... If a cabin pressure falls below 10,000ft (the minimum allowable safe pressure), then oxygen masks automatically drop for the passenger giving them 45 seconds to 2 minutes of oxygen. In the cockpit, the pilots are supplied oxygen using a pure supply system (from and oxygen tank). The pilots then execute a fairly severe manouvre to bring the aircraft to 9,000ft where the air is breathable without assistance. If this system fails, then the pilots have just 15 seconds to drop the aircraft 26,000ft. This is realistically impossible, and after 15 seconds, they will have become unconcious. The passengers will have been breathing oxgen from the overgead masks, but after 45 seconds, these will have begun to run out, as they also began to go unconcious.....the rest is inevitable
    ok, thanks. What an awful experience - I just can't begin to imagine how it must have been for the passengers in both the Helios crash and today's crash.

On a related note to the Helios crash, I feel absolutely disgusted at the guy who lied about the text message: the response he apparently gave for doing it was for 'reasons of publicity'. Not many things make me really angry, but such stupidity and insensitiveness towards the victims and their families just makes me feel so sad that someone could so that.

ReputationRep:
    It did ring minor alarm bells when hearing that somebody had sent a text message, it does rather beg the questions "What are the chances of a mobile working at cruising altitude? When the plane was heading for the ground, what are the chances you have the composure/consciousness to compose a message?"

ReputationRep:
    My first thought was - 'why would you take the time to type a message when you could ring them and actually speak to them/hear them?'

ReputationRep:
    That confused me when I read in the paper that the passengers most likely died in seconds, Id've thought sending a text message would have been the last thing on your mind if you were in this situation

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.