A levels are easy. Watch

This discussion is closed.
H&E
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Link doesn't work.

I agree it's very insensitive, but unfortunately this is how papers work - they publish news when it's relevant to events. It annoyed me a bit last year, but compared to the various people who have their private lives exposed and destroyed by the papers we're not so badly off.

And it is worth publishing. Because it's arguably the most concrete example of politicians cheating the figures to "create" progress, and the effects this can have over a long period.

Mind you, I think A-level needed to get easier. The old system, designed by Oxbridge to suit its own admissions standards, with massive fail rates and A's being attainable only by those lucky enough to be brilliantly clever and brilliantly taught was absurd. But it also has to be accepted it's now more difficult to differentiate at the top and steps have to be taken to do this.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I ****ing HATE it when they say these type opf things!

Young people have a much harder time growing up now with drugs, vice, violence and no discipline or respect around.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll tell you whether A Levels are easy or not on Thursday.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Not really. Take a look at an A level math paper today and compare it with one of 30 years ago. Which is harder? The basis of marking doesn't come into it (it's either right or wrong) unless they now award points for effort these days. :rolleyes:
Sorry, marking today is criterion referenced rather than normative referenced-makes a huge difference. Also the content of the syllabus is massively different with more of an emphasis based on skills rather than knowledge. You can argue the relative merits of the two systems, but the fact is they're totally different systems and as such any comparison is invaild.
Alewhey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Of course A-levels are getting easier. Anyone who thinks that we are just getting smarter is just kidding themselves. Has anyone seen a paper from 20 years ago? Last year my school was teaching physics out of an old O-level textbook, and there were things in there that were way beyond what we were learning!

I understand that lots of people on this forum worked very hard, and most will probably get A's for their effort. But this is exactly the point! It should not be possible to get the top grade at A-level by virtue of effort alone. A grades should be reserved for people who are both hard-working and very clever (and possibly the lazy genii), in my opinion. Without wanting to offend anyone, let me point out that the people who really deserve A's are exactly the people who would be upset that A levels are getting easier...

As for having being tested from day 1 - this was introduced to make A-levels easier, not harder. Now you can cram for a few weeks, ace the exam, and forgeddaboutit. Screw up? Just try again. And again. And again...
Having taken further maths, this was particuarly obvious to me. Three of the modules (P4-6) were pretty much unrelated so I got into the habit of learning one, doing the exam, and then forgetting the content whilst learning the next one. Compare that with learning them over the course of two years and then recalling them all together, in perhaps just two or three more intense and longer exams, and you can appreciate how much easier we have it. And come on - AS's are still a doss...

What we must remember is that by making A-levels harder, there are no losers. The very best stand out from the crowd, instead of being lost in a sea of A's. The slightly less talented may start getting B's, but university offers will adjust accordingly so there is no problem here. A-levels start getting the respect they deserve again, so there would be no stigma for getting a B or any lower grade in any case.

As a final point, I would like to add that either Oxford of Cambridge (I forget which) did some studies to find out which are the best indicators of success at university and found that GCSEs are far better predictors than A-levels, presumably because the sheer amount of them means you cannot get all A/A*s without being pretty smart, regardless of the hours you put in. When A-levels stop being predictors of university success, you know something has gone badly wrong.
Death
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chez88)
(directed to UK students)
Why is this question directed to UK students only? Do you think my A-levels will be harder than the UK A-levels? I'm still following the Edexcel and AQA syllabus!
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by amie)
Well that's arguable, but even so, why write the articles in such a snide fashion? I don't mind articles which say "A-Level grades have improved again this year", but headlines such as "Fury over easy A-Levels" and cartoons like this are utterly pointless.

Edit: Fixed the link
Funny cartoon though!
userunknown
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's detrimental to say A-Levels have gotten easiar, but if ithey are not distinguishing between the students then the obvious solution is they need to be made harder.
The idea of attainable goals is a motivating factor so how many people would put the same effort in they have recently if they new the results they were going to get were C and B's instead of A's A*'s. The solution is 1 of 2 either A-Levels are made harder to attain top marks or students have to sit another set of university exams, you decide?
Logan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
how about an entrance exam test before you get into a university??? That way they can sort out which ones which
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nasht)
how about an entrance exam test before you get into a university??? That way they can sort out which ones which
Why? Isn't that the job that A levels used to do anyway?
JohnStuartMill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why? Isn't that the job that A levels used to do anyway?
Actually universities used to set entrance exams as well - I know Cambridge did at least. The fact that so many universities have started implementing tests that students have to take to get in such as the LNAT for Law, the BMAT for medicine, the HAT for History and the TSA for a wide variety of subjects just demonstrates a lack of confidence within universities in A-levels. They are basically saying that they do not trust A-levels as an adequate means of separating the good from the best and so they have to introduce their own exams to distinguish between candidates.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JohnStuartMill)
Actually universities used to set entrance exams as well - I know Cambridge did at least. The fact that so many universities have started implementing tests that students have to take to get in such as the LNAT for Law, the BMAT for medicine, the HAT for History and the TSA for a wide variety of subjects just demonstrates a lack of confidence within universities in A-levels. They are basically saying that they do not trust A-levels as an adequate means of separating the good from the best and so they have to introduce their own exams to distinguish between candidates.
Didn't know that.
Ramsy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Refer to this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...76#post2774876
JohnStuartMill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Didn't know that.
Yep, most of the top Universities for Law and Medicine use the LNAT and BMAT respectively - I believe there are at least five who use each. For History Oxford uses the HAT and Cambridge uses the TSA for a wide variety of subjects. Oxford also have tests for subjects like PPE.
sophieD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think interviews are a good way of distinguishing between students, perhaps if more unis interviewed for more courses, they'd find their decisions easier to make, instead of complaining all the time.
amie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JohnStuartMill)
Yep, most of the top Universities for Law and Medicine use the LNAT and BMAT respectively - I believe there are at least five who use each. For History Oxford uses the HAT and Cambridge uses the TSA for a wide variety of subjects. Oxford also have tests for subjects like PPE.
I even had a little test thing at my interview for computer information systems at Bath! I don't know whether it was very important or not, but it was still a test.
Ramsy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think A levels are easy I also think that I think too much.

:p:
pkchips
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not really. Take a look at an A level math paper today and compare it with one of 30 years ago. Which is harder? The basis of marking doesn't come into it (it's either right or wrong) unless they now award points for effort these days. :rolleyes:
the only subject which to my knowledge has been dumbed down over the years is maths. and it's still being dumbed down further with the introduction of "core" maths.

if you compare past papers of other subjects with modern papers, the difficulty level is about the same.
polythenepam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i get really mad when people insult us like that. i work in a bakery and so the customers are always talking to the staff, my manager was really proud of my gcse results and was like telling everyone this woman said to me "yes well i suppose you did all the noddy subjects then like pe and art" i replied "a) no i did stuff like history and french and b) there is no such thing as a noddy course just courses tht suit people better than others!!!!"
it makes me so angry! personally i do not think a levels are easy in the slightest and i am willing to argue wih anyone who says different
Ramsy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by polythenepam)
i get really mad when people insult us like that. i work in a bakery and so the customers are always talking to the staff, my manager was really proud of my gcse results and was like telling everyone this woman said to me "yes well i suppose you did all the noddy subjects then like pe and art" i replied "a) no i did stuff like history and french and b) there is no such thing as a noddy course just courses tht suit people better than others!!!!"
it makes me so angry! personally i do not think a levels are easy in the slightest and i am willing to argue wih anyone who says different
Hey dear, not arguing but I'm with you on that one, some GCSEs are rather hard; English Lit and Science were most upper hardest, I didn't have a clue about what was going on!

I really want to get a job, I know its a bit off topic but how did u get the job at the bakery?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (51)
45.54%
Pro-humanity (61)
54.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise