Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Maths has definitely become a lot easier. When I took Maths A Level three years ago, I had to do P1-3, M1, and S1-2. P1-3 has now become C1-4 - they've taken out an entire module, which is think is ridiculous. Maths A Level was easy enough then, it doesn't need to be made any more easy.
    yes yes i agree with you... i did my A levels like 2 - 3 yrs ago and maths was a bit easier then.. i looked in the C1 book and i was disgusted!!! its like elementary stuff they basically split P1 into 2 parts and they had split it earlier in like 2001 so they have split the book twice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    the '87 paper wouldn't test the same syllabus anyway.
    Even if it didnt test the same sylabii i dont think it matters... At the end of an A level whether now or 1987, theoretically you should ALL be at the same same level!! cos maths is maths...
    As for if A levels is getting easy, mmm thats a good question, could be a yes or no... I remember they always say on the news as well that most ppl aint doing maths and sciences which are the "harder" A levels and ppl tend to do A levels that they know they can ACE! whether that is true or not i dont know... but if ppl are doing "easier" A levels def this will affect the pass rate! and also why dont they say on the news that A level passes are A - E???? cos this means that if everyone in the nation gets and E at A level then there is a 100% pass rate!! and no uni wants a E anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Even if it didnt test the same sylabii i dont think it matters... At the end of an A level whether now or 1987, theoretically you should ALL be at the same same level!! cos maths is maths...
    Did you do maths this year? Did you do further maths?

There is a colossal difference between an A-level course of pure maths and your 2005 A-level course of half pure maths and half applied maths. If maths is maths is maths, could you do a paper based on P1-6 (one paper, not six individual modules) after doing P1-3, the easy half? Since each question would be based on work you had done throughout the whole two years, and would be based on topics even further mathematicians have not done (although there would be lots of topics now in P1-6 that were not in pure maths circa 1987) you couldn't be expected to stand a chance. It is like expecting someone who has read Modern World history in 2005 to be really good at a circa 1987 paper on the Romans because 'history is history'.

(edit for typo. probably more to come...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master-chafe)
    Did you do maths this year? Did you do further maths?

There is a colossal difference between an A-level course of pure maths and your 2005 A-level course of half pure maths and half applied maths. If maths is maths is maths, could you do a paper based on P1-6 (one paper, not six individual modules) after doing P1-3, the easy half? Since each question would be based on work you had done throughout the whole two years, and would be based on topics even further mathematicians have not done (although there would be lots of topics now in P1-6 that were not in pure maths circa 1987) you couldn't be expected to stand a chance. It is like expecting someone who has read Modern World history in 2005 to be really good at a circa 1987 paper on the Romans because 'history is history'.

(edit for typo. probably more to come...)
    lol wow a full blown attack!!! i did A levels 3 years ago, i am on a university degree in engineering, and yes i would be able to do a paper from P1 - 6 on pure maths, and also applied maths..
    And by the way history is not a good comparison.. because history changes.. or rather things are added to it as we go.. but maths stays the same.. its the same principle, its the application that changes .. it wasnt a dig at anybody who does maths... I have been there and done that 3 yrs ago,.. I dont think there would be much difference if ppl have been taught well.. I have seen old maths questions and yes, they are very hard but if u think deeply, the methods of solution dont change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    Why not just re-design the grade boundaries and call it A, B and C?
    yeah you got the point, they got the whole fecking UMS anywoy to look at and see if you got a high or a low grade... but naaah, let them be.. cmon make it harder until nobody passes a levels anymore

ReputationRep:
    Whoever neg repped me on this post obviously can't read. I made a comment about A levels based on Lauren saying A levels are fun and easy. Then I said, and I quote "I think Lauren saying A levels were fun and easy is what you should be insulted by. I don't even live in the UK; you can write off whatever I say as my being misinformed."

So if you actually get mad because an American who has never taken A levels in her life is misinformed then you need to relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    but, unwittingly, you've just become as bad as them.

you fume with rage when they say your exams are easy but your immediate reaction is that you doubt their ability to pass your exam.

get over it and yourself.

I've said it before, but you amuse me.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read all this because I can't be bothered, but I'd like to say just one thing.
    You used to be able to get into a polytechnic with two D's or E's, even for subjects such as business, politics etc.
    As A-Level Grades have improved, so have the offers universities make.
    While 97% "pass", a "pass" is no longer worth the paper it's printed on....

ReputationRep:
    Don't know whether this point has been raised but I think one huge reason that A level results look as if they are 'getting easier' is because now-a-days loads of people take a lot of these, arguably cushier subjects. Without trying to cause offense, doing Critical Thinking, RE, media studies and theatre studies and getting AAAa is not saying that this person is extremely intelligent. Getting AAAa in maths, economics, history and further maths does so a lot more. The statistics the media are quoting don't take this into account. Of course more people are doing well at A levels because more people are opting for these new supposedly more vocational subjects which are easier as opposed to 20 years ago when nearly everyone did the more traditional and harder subjects. (they must be harder, why else do many top universities only accept the more traditional subjects?)

Again I don't mean to cause offence.

ReputationRep:
    A lvels are definately getting easier and anyone who expects top grades should actually find this annoying- they have less value as a result.

They are even easier than when I took them 4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt revise for salters chem exam and got an A. take that how you will...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    Whoever neg repped me on this post obviously can't read. I made a comment about A levels based on Lauren saying A levels are fun and easy. Then I said, and I quote "I think Lauren saying A levels were fun and easy is what you should be insulted by. I don't even live in the UK; you can write off whatever I say as my being misinformed."

So if you actually get mad because an American who has never taken A levels in her life is misinformed then you need to relax.
    Don't worry about it! Know the feeling, I got neg rep'd for NO reason whatsoever on another thread, all I said was that my school opened for results at nine, and it got neg rep'd.

But anyway, I've read thru some of the posts, and I think in regards to the exams years ago needing more broader understanding, where A grade students these days can't pull off the same as an A grade student a few years ago, makes you wonder about our economy. If our adults now, have more knowledge than what the future generation will be because the A level material isn't as difficult then I think we'll suffer as country because of it. The future generation are meant to know more than the present one, not less.

ReputationRep:
    I got neg repped for a joke on a circumcision thread. Jesus Christ, cheer up you misterable [email protected]

ReputationRep:

A Levels ARE fun and easy. You're not supposed to choose subjects you dislike - I loved what I studied, and it was the same for GCSEs (except for forced English and English Lit hated it).

Regarding sitting doing f all for most of the year, that's just me. So don't get on your high horse making "knowledgeable" comments about the British education system. They encourage year-round work - that's why the modules can be taken in January and June. There are loads of people at Cambridge who work really hard, I'm definitely in the fun-loving minority. My boyfriend is one of them :rolleyes: But why work hard and still only manage a 2i when you can have fun, play sport, get to know loads of people, and get a 2i anyway?!!

I think you are misinformed; you should know that most schools won't allow you to take an A level in a particular subject unless you achieved a B at GCSE, and in physics you needs As in maths and physics/science. Hence you cannot study subjects you struggle in. But if you believe you are misinformed why are you making comments as if you know?

PS I didn't neg rep you! It's not your fault you don't know bout the UK.

Edit: I could easily get As in P1-6 and M1-6 (not that they exist now ). But can I noooo do stats any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    We always got told to ignore the reports as although it could be argued the introduction of coursework has made it easier, you used to be able to learn the stuff and regurgitate it whereas now you have to use your knowledge e.g analysing which makes them harder.

Also, I think it shows the additional education funding and improvement in teacher training lead to better results, not because the exams are getting easier.
    Whether the topics or questions are becoming easier is one thing, but its clear that the teaching methods and examination process makes obtaining an A far easier. Most A-level courses are not interested in stimulating knowledge of the subject but concentrate on how best to pass the exam and obtain government targets.

ReputationRep:
    Lauren, I didn't think you neg repped me. You seem far too normal to do that. The person who neg repped me said "What an ignorant, and self-righteous mindset. To make an assumption, and discredit all UK students on the basis of a urban myth, is simple stupidity - MC" Umm...how am I discrediting all UK students? Do I have the power to magically make the world declare UK students stupid because of one comment I made on a website full of teenagers?

Besides, I don't think the A levels mean UK students are stupid, I think the exams probably don't do a good job of telling the difference between people who are actually smart and people who are just amazing at studying for exams. I would say the same thing about SATs in the US, but in the US we also have SAT IIs in specialized subjects (math, history, chemistry, biology, etc.) our cumulative GPA, advanced placement (AP) exams in subjects, extracurriculars, jobs, and recommendations as things that can help tell the difference, although that system is not perfect by any means either.

It would be better for all of you to have your record as a student viewed more holistically, rather than a heavy emphasis on two years of studying for a few big exams. HOWEVER I am not an authority at all, I live in the US.

The topics "Chelsea Clinton" "Uk vs US grade discrimination" and "shoudl the empire pay back" are all full of people saying American education is sh*t and Americans are all stupid. Someone said all American unis suck based on the fact that Chelsea Clinton went to Stanford...even though she also went to Oxford, so I don't know what that means. But I don't actually feel hurt! I try to correct misunderstandings but other than that I am not personally offended.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, I don't think the A levels mean UK students are stupid, I think the exams probably don't do a good job of telling the difference between people who are actually smart and people who are just amazing at studying for exams.
    The smart ones don't have to do much work for them. Hard working students say it's unfair, because intelligent ones don't have to work, but the intelligent ones must think it's unfair that stupid kids can get grade As as well, simply by working harder.

The topics "Chelsea Clinton" "Uk vs US grade discrimination" and "shoudl the empire pay back" are all full of people saying American education is sh*t and Americans are all stupid.
    I've met two groups of Americans. One group are doing swaps with students at Cambridge and they're all intelligent. Some are mental and go out, some stay in and work. The other group is the tourists who question why castles were built so close to airports :rolleyes: The other perception is that most Americans are fat, and fat people = stupid in the media. I myself might consider a year at MIT (a swap for third year), but the thought of constant exams (and no legal binge drinking!!) hurts my social brain.

ReputationRep:
    Lauren, I didn't think you neg repped me. You seem far too normal to do that. The person who neg repped me said "What an ignorant, and self-righteous mindset. To make an assumption, and discredit all UK students on the basis of a urban myth, is simple stupidity - MC" Umm...how am I discrediting all UK students? Do I have the power to magically make the world declare UK students stupid because of one comment I made on a website full of teenagers?

Besides, I don't think the A levels mean UK students are stupid, I think the exams probably don't do a good job of telling the difference between people who are actually smart and people who are just amazing at studying for exams. I would say the same thing about SATs in the US, but in the US we also have SAT IIs in specialized subjects (math, history, chemistry, biology, etc.) our cumulative GPA, advanced placement (AP) exams in subjects, extracurriculars, jobs, and recommendations as things that can help tell the difference, although that system is not perfect by any means either.

It would be better for all of you to have your record as a student viewed more holistically, rather than a heavy emphasis on two years of studying for a few big exams. HOWEVER I am not an authority at all, I live in the US.

The topics "Chelsea Clinton" "Uk vs US grade discrimination" and "shoudl the empire pay back" are all full of people saying American education is sh*t and Americans are all stupid. Someone said all American unis suck based on the fact that Chelsea Clinton went to Stanford...even though she also went to Oxford, so I don't know what that means. But I don't actually feel hurt! I try to correct misunderstandings but other than that I am not personally offended.
    ah! justignore it!! its obviously a misunderstanding and i do agree with you that the papers make it look so bad, but thats life of journalists for you i suppose!! they been saying A levels are getting easier for yrs and yrs now and after a while you just tend to ignore it.. i bet next year they will say pass rate is 100% and theoretically that could occur even if every one in the nation got an E grade cos an E is seen as a pass but students dont really like to see an E as a pass

ReputationRep:
    This annual arguement really annoys me. Its insulting to the students and teachers who work hard to get good grades. As another poster said, the best thing to do is to just ignore it and carry on working. Journalists have newspapers to sell, and the politicians will keep kicking this political football about exams getting easier until the cows come home. Its not as if the students themselves are setting and marking the papers as well as writing them! You can only do the best with what is put in front of you, and thats what thousands of students do each year. If by some reason the pass rate fell, it would be that the teachers were getting worse etc etc....

ReputationRep:
    i second that. It's easy

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.