Turn on thread page Beta

Is the current sex age fair???? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's also interesting to see the effects of culture and life expectancy on this issue. For instance, when the America's were first colonized by Europeans (read: world's largest instance of genocide) the average male lived to about 40-45, the average height was only about 5', and marriages were often expected around the age of 12. The aveage height of North American natives at the same time was nearly 6', and many of them lived past 100. Even Eurocentric cultures tend to consider their kids as "children" until 16, the age they become legally responsible for all of their actions (in Canada, their financial responsibilities don't fully apply to just them apart from their parents until 19) - but many of the traditional North American Aboriginal cultures continue to treat their kids as full members of their communities after the age of 5. Actually having sex still seems more of a personal choice than a legal "it's ok now, you are old enough" thing though. Horray for cross-cultural human traits!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the legal sex age has a huge affect on the age that people lose their virginity. Although I did know this one guy who was 15 and he was known to be a major player so I was surprised to hear he was a virgin but he told me it was because he was waiting until he was 16 (which is legal here in New Zealand) because he didn't want to be fined.

I definately don't think the legal age should be lowered from 16 but I don't think it would do any harm raising it 1 or 2 years. 17 is probably a better age - because you just feel a lot more mature. One teenage year is like 5 adult years I reckon. I'm 17 myself (turned 17 in November) and I am proud to still be a virgin. So many girls just lose it to any guy that comes along when they are really drunk or wasted. What's the point? I personally don't think thats cool.

I respect and admire people who wait until marriage before they have sex. And there are some really cool people who have chosen to do that e.g. Jessica Simpson, Stacie Orrico, Lee Lee Sobeski, Kevin from the Backstreet Boys, Phoebe from Friends...and the list goes on. I personally don't see myself getting married before the age of 25 so I doubt that I'll end up waiting until marriage.

But I admire those people who do. I think everyone should have enough self respect to wait until they are in love and really truely feel ready to lose their virginity. It's sad when people lose it too young - especially when they are so drunk they can't make a wise decision.

ReputationRep:
    Simplicity in itself, lowering or highering the legal age of consent will not prevent unwanted pregnancies, nor it will stop the kids out there experimenting. Perhaps broadening the education system and putting more emphasis on the effect early sexual activity can have on the body would be an idea, although I still feel, young teenagers will go out, get laid, because its *cool* to do so and their peers are doing it. Although in my experience if you have to shout about it, the odds are your not actually doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Simplicity in itself, lowering or highering the legal age of consent will not prevent unwanted pregnancies, nor it will stop the kids out there experimenting. Perhaps broadening the education system and putting more emphasis on the effect early sexual activity can have on the body would be an idea, although I still feel, young teenagers will go out, get laid, because its *cool* to do so and their peers are doing it. Although in my experience if you have to shout about it, the odds are your not actually doing it.
    *nods* quite right.

ReputationRep:
    i agree.

ReputationRep:
    well i think that the current sex age is fair enough.
    Having said that, i should mention that I have seen the GCSE students in my schoo commenting about the fact that they were LAID....around the new year !!!
    And they are just 15.
    So my question to all of u is.....even if the age is lowered, wuld u still follow it ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince_capri)
    well i think that the current sex age is fair enough.
    Having said that, i should mention that I have seen the GCSE students in my schoo commenting about the fact that they were LAID....around the new year !!!
    And they are just 15.
    So my question to all of u is.....even if the age is lowered, wuld u still follow it ???
    As I've said earlier, the age (of consent) is more of a legal consequence. Kids are always going to experiment. Why do you think America had a spate of broken arm/leg incidents after the release of the first "Superman" flick. Ouch mummy, I'm really sorry but ouch oooh argh snap I kinda wanted to see if I could fly like Superman. Does that remind you of a teenaged girl trying to explain the bulging tummy to her mother and father??? c'mon. I think the age of consent should be raised to 18, and in full knowledge that kids are going to keep having sex at the age of 13-14. Can't stop it, what we can stop is people around the age of 21-25 taking advantage of the kids. Yes I'm talking about males aged 21-25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    As I've said earlier, the age (of consent) is more of a legal consequence. Kids are always going to experiment. Why do you think America had a spate of broken arm/leg incidents after the release of the first "Superman" flick. Ouch mummy, I'm really sorry but ouch oooh argh snap I kinda wanted to see if I could fly like Superman. Does that remind you of a teenaged girl trying to explain the bulging tummy to her mother and father??? c'mon. I think the age of consent should be raised to 18, and in full knowledge that kids are going to keep having sex at the age of 13-14. Can't stop it, what we can stop is people around the age of 21-25 taking advantage of the kids. Yes I'm talking about males aged 21-25
    I'll offer the alternative view of older women taking advantage of a younger guy, it does happen. what applies to one can be applied to the other

ReputationRep:
    I'll offer the alternative view of older women taking advantage of a younger guy, it does happen. what applies to one can be applied to the other
    *chuckles* Ok that one was good. To be taken in 3 ways by anyone with the mind capable, and 4 by me because of a little private knowledge. *applauds* Good point though, but I was sticking to the point that it is slightly more than just a majority of incidents where the male is older in the case of a tenn pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    well said again
    i am impressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *chuckles* Ok that one was good. To be taken in 3 ways by anyone with the mind capable, and 4 by me because of a little private knowledge. *applauds* Good point though, but I was sticking to the point that it is slightly more than just a majority of incidents where the male is older in the case of a tenn pregnancy.
    *grins* privy to certain knowledge I bite my tongue with a slight smile. Yet if you perchance happen to stumble across a teen pregnant boy, be sure to make it to the news.

On a more serious note, Women that take advantage of younger men, seem to be featured less, yet several have been prosecuted, although it would appear that its women in positions that require respect, power (in some cases) ie teachers that will abuse their position.

Agreed on the point of teen pregnancy though, although how much older is debatable as there are quite a few young dads age 15+

ReputationRep:
    *grins* privy to certain knowledge I bite my tongue with a slight smile. Yet if you perchance happen to stumble across a teen pregnant boy, be sure to make it to the news.

On a more serious note, Women that take advantage of younger men, seem to be featured less, yet several have been prosecuted, although it would appear that its women in positions that require respect, power (in some cases) ie teachers that will abuse their position.

Agreed on the point of teen pregnancy though, although how much older is debatable as there are quite a few young dads age 15+
    There are indeed, but I believe that is why the age is set at 16 and not higher as in perhaps 18. A teen dad at 16 or 17 is just as unresponsible and unprepared to raise a child as the 15yr old father would be. Hence a 16-17 yr old male impregnating a 15 and younger female can be legally charged.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what Sire said about men around the age of 21-25 taking advantage of younger girls. It does happen. And it happens a lot. I have a really sweet innocent 16 yr old friend who was about to start going out with this 29 year old guy until her mum stopped her. I think young girls are too naiive to really know whats going on and I think 21-25 yr old males should stick to girls their own age or only 1-3 yrs younger.

Although I do agree that sometimes it's the older woman taking advantage of a younger guy. That happens too. Yet somehow people don't make such a big deal of it and they seem to think thats ok as well. My 18 yr old friend (girl) recently hooked up with her bestfriends younger brother (who is 14). She seemed to be quite proud of it and didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I didn't agree.

I think teenagers need to be taught more about safe sex in high school. I was at an all-girls school for 5 years and they thoroughly educated us about safe sex. Then I moved to a co-ed school and they hardly even mention safe sex in Health classes. I think kids should be taught from a young age about everything and also taught about not giving in to peer pressure - and making their own decisions which shouldn't be influenced by whats "cool" or not. Waiting until the time is right should be the "cool" choice - not just sleeping with any old person that comes along when your drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    ...what we can stop is people around the age of 21-25 taking advantage of the kids. Yes I'm talking about males aged 21-25
    You're right because I dont see why a man above the age of 21 would want to go out with a girl below the age of 18. I dont think I have anything in common, socially, with people under the age of 18 and I think this applies to everybody (I'm 23). Why then would anybody over 21 want to go out with a person they really dont get on with?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have to say that after reading this thread I find some of you very very immature. Not all, but those that are do it with great effect. I think that the current age is right as it protects minors while allowing people the freedom to have sex at what I believe is an early age. In no way would a 16 year old be able to cope alone with children. The fact that you refer in this topic to these people as 'kids' is clue enough. Children should not be having children. When you are young you know hardly anything about the world, and you know even less about yourself. Some of you have only just hit puberty and you have raging hormones and have no idea what to do with yourself. The law is there to protect you, the minors. I infact know of a 16 year old girl with two children under the age of two and she is dating a 50 year old hotel manager. How does that make you feel? What is the age was lowered and she was 14 with two kids? Or 12? Yes people mature at different levels and yes some 14 year olds are mature but I would have to say that the majority of people are not mature until they are 18 and for men that will be delayed until 20. Yes the current age is fair, no it should not be changed. No I don't believe people should have sex when they are underage as the law is there specifically to protect them. How would you feel if a paedophile got away without conviction because 'everyone has underage sex'? How would you feel if you were targeted by these kinds of people because you were known for indulging in underage sex? The law is for protection, not to hamper people. If anyone wants to know, I was 18 and I had plenty of boyfriends before that I just wanted to wait until I felt mature enough. And I am glad I did.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.