Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just done AS Maths, Physics, Eng Lit, Chem, and got AAAB respectively.
    Although the exams aren't easy as such, they are definitely getting easier... In maths, physics, chem, I worked through some past papers from 1996 thru to 2004, and the style of questioning and the subject matter itself is far easier now, in my opinion. I really struggled with some of the past paper questions, even things that are still on the syllabus, because a lot of them weren't 'obvious'... You had to really think for an answer to them. I think the exams are getting easier.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose what appeals about The Sun to me is the fact I like strong Opinions then

Im not going to let the media make me feel any less then exstatic about my results which I worked hard to acheive. Its not there place to judge weather A-levels are getting easy and to put us down in such mannors.. They should be supporting the youth as we are the next generation to run this country.

Congrats Everyone, We did great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    I suppose what appeals about The Sun to me is the fact I like strong Opinions then

Im not going to let the media make me feel any less then exstatic about my results which I worked hard to acheive. Its not there place to judge weather A-levels are getting easy and to put us down in such mannors.. They should be supporting the youth as we are the next generation to run this country.

Congrats Everyone, We did great
    I hope the future leaders of the country can spell a little better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSun)
    I hope the future leaders of the country can spell a little better...
    They can spell when It counts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    THe sun doesn't qualify as media; it qualifies as trash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Im sure Rupert Murdoch would beg to differ.

As would its 10 million Daily readers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Im sure Rupert Murdoch would beg to differ.

As would its 10 million Daily readers.
    No, it's definitely trash, it's just that today's public like to buy trash.

ReputationRep:
    10 million daily readers? My official stats suggest 3 million. Anyway to the thread starter if you find them easy good for you, it dosn't mean they are easy however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    No, it's definitely trash, it's just that today's public like to buy trash.

A hell of alot of them. Ah well One person trash is another persons Treasure Hehe Its all about perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    I hate how the media continues to say a-levels are easy! Today, there is loads more pressure on students to get the top grade since its becoming competitive to get into university - so students are preparing to work harder. Plus teachers are know more on how to prepare students to get good results, as well as colleges doing the system where anyone who won't get above a D is not allowed to sit the exam. But no, the exams are just becoming easier, all the above and other factors people on here have said do not apply to the media!

Plus, the government want to have 50% of a-level students to go to university, but want more people to fail since they are upset that 96.5% of students passed with A-E?! Am I the only one who thinks they make no sense?

ReputationRep:
    yah, mein bratwurst ist sehr lange in eine gross schloss mit das schule und informatich zimmer.

No, a-levels are not easier and i do agree with you Moondust! Dodgy policy by labour - the best conservative government around.

I got 4 A's and a B; i applied for medicine 2005 entry but got reject w/o interview from all 4 choices, it is soooooo annoyinig since i have to do voluntary work for a year at hospital, resid. home and st john's.

I dont know what to do!!!!?????

ReputationRep:
    Is that godd deutsch?

ReputationRep:
    When I was studying for my GCSEs my music teacher used to tell us that we had to "play the game", in effect give the examiner what he/she's looking for and I feel that this principle applies to A-Levels too. With subjects like Biology and Chemistry a lot of easy marks can be gained for simple definitions and as many of the same answers come up on the papers, there is usually a "set answer" to a question e.g:

Describe three ways red blood cells are adapted to carrying oxygen efficiently:

1. Biconcave shape -allows O2 molecules to bind more easily
    2. Diameter of 5µm allows RBC to fit into even smallest capillary thus oxygen is delived to all tissues
    3. Contain few organelles so allows for maximum number of haem groups within cell for oxygen to bind to

It's usually a matter of whether or not people know it. Although, having said that, the sheer amount of knowledge students have to know is overwhelming and it can be incredibly off-putting when thinking about what you have to know for an exam and only a tiny fraction of the knowledge gets examined!

ReputationRep:
    That is true, In many ways exams rely on the participants ability to know what there looking for and what they want. In A-levle Biology my teacher would suggest tersm she said would be good to be used in an exam and that would more than likely be in the spec answer. In subjects such as these the marks depend on your ability to hit the points there looking for.. missing of a simple phrase can loser you a mark.

ReputationRep:
    well well people say it's a memory test, I;m like, well what other sort of test is it gonna be you've got a pen and a paper and you do it in silence, the most yuou can do is write down what you remember, and tbh a memory test is probably best to asses what you've learn, in real life you gonna have to 'remember' how to work out the area of a square or whatever, you're gonna have to 'remember' what year is was such-and-such war happened.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are memory tests to an extent but you have to understand the concepts and be able to back up what you say and show that you have a good grasp of it. I also think that the idea is that they show you have a capacity to learn and retain information which is attractive to employers and universities. Many employers will take on students from uni who have a good 1st or a 2:1 in a completely unrelated subject to the work they will be doing purely because their grade shows they have an ability to learn and work hard. I have done some work experience with IBM and they don't specify a computing degree, they just ask for a min of 2:1 in a science based subject. All of this just proves that education is a test of aptitude to enable people to judge whether you have a basic capability to do well. The fact that the media say that A'levels are getting easier is annoying for us as we are working hard but also irrelevant. We all do the same ones so the results are still comparable and the concept is the same.... The sun just like to have gossip to report on as their readers lap that kind of thing up. Each to their own i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez88)
    Has anyone read the stories in the papers recently, (they turn up every year at this time!)the coments on how easy A levels are now and how the pass rate is 97% now. Aparently teachers must be 17times better for the A levels to work out and as "this is not possible" they must be getting easier due to the higher pass rate. Just wondering what people thought about this. Its rly anoying me! (directed to UK students)
    Considering the pass rate is an E, I would be astounded if more than 3% of the country received U's. There would be something wrong with our education system if they did. It is extremely difficult not to get at least and E hence why the pass rate is so high!

ReputationRep:
    Exaclt, the so called 97% rate i assume includes E's and D's which no offense to anyone is easy enough to get, anyone who has common sense could get that after 2 years of doing an a-level subject. In our school loads people getting E's, D's and C's and getting into uni for their course thus adding to the statistic. Why don't they only use C-A grade instead or even B-A grade?

I didnt find them easy, i suppose you get A's and B's grades out of thin air; those nights where i was up till 1am and revising all damn day don't count do they. Having to teach certain subjects myself since some teachers are incompetent.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.