Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Either its me, or do I find that some groups of people have blind allegiances in the middle east? I find that some American fundamentalist christians and Zionists blindly support Israel and its policies, while some Muslims and Arabs blindly support the Palestinians, even some of their violent actions. I am by no means saying that such people are the majority in each group, but I do find that they are a substantial minority within their relgions and ethnicities. Such people are the real cause of the conflict in the Middle East, and perhaps if they took more time to look at the other side they might change their views.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds suspiciously like most teenagers I know who are old enough to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    Either its me, or do I find that some groups of people have blind allegiances in the middle east? I find that some American fundamentalist christians and Zionists blindly support Israel and its policies, while some Muslims and Arabs blindly support the Palestinians, even some of their violent actions. I am by no means saying that such people are the majority in each group, but I do find that they are a substantial minority within their relgions and ethnicities. Such people are the real cause of the conflict in the Middle East, and perhaps if they took more time to look at the other side they might change their views.
    What are you talking about?

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this but American fundamental Christians are not actually the real cause of the conflict in the Middle East. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What are you talking about?

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this but American fundamental Christians are not actually the real cause of the conflict in the Middle East. :rolleyes:
    Yeah! Good one.:rolleyes: Who goes over to Israel to encourage settlers and lend support to settlement efforts? Who did Ariel Sharon visit regularly in the US back when he was a hardliner? They may not be the sole cause, but they sure are a major part of this conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Good one.:rolleyes: Who goes over to Israel to encourage settlers and lend support to settlement efforts? Who did Ariel Sharon visit regularly in the US back when he was a hardliner? They may not be the sole cause, but they sure are a major part of this conflict.
    Don't tell me.....was it the members of the Garden of Gethsemane Spiritual Pentacostal Charismatic Chapel of St.John the Baptizer (on the frontage road) ladies' bridge club?

Perhaps you should speak more clearly and say what you mean which I presume is............."George Bush is the cause of the Middle East conflict because he's a blind fundamentalist Christian"

And while you're at it perhaps you can give me your definition of a fundamentalist christian?

ReputationRep:
    One of the biggest problems with the Left is that they equate the religious right in the United States, whose mentality is no different than that of a proper Christian at the turn of the 20th century and whose faith does not stifle other religions or whishes and causes them death, with that of the Islamic fascists of Al-Qaida and their sympathisers. How can you say they are the same thing and the root cause of the problems in the Middle East? I am assuming that you consider Bush to be a fundamentalist, and I ask you how can you believe that he is the cause of the struggle? Was it not bin Laden who attacked the US in 1993, then the US embassies in Africa, Paris in 1995, the USS Cole in 2000, and 9/11. I am not including the Madrid and London bombings, because the automatic response of the Left is that it was the natural response to Iraq. As if prior to the Iraq war Madrid and London were not targets of Islamists. Need I remind you the plot foiled by MI5 to place ricin in the water-systems in London in 2002?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg1789)
    One of the biggest problems with the Left is that they equate the religious right in the United States, whose mentality is no different than that of a proper Christian at the turn of the 20th century and whose faith does not stifle other religions or whishes and causes them death, with that of the Islamic fascists of Al-Qaida and their sympathisers. How can you say they are the same thing and the root cause of the problems in the Middle East? I am assuming that you consider Bush to be a fundamentalist, and I ask you how can you believe that he is the cause of the struggle? Was it not bin Laden who attacked the US in 1993, then the US embassies in Africa, Paris in 1995, the USS Cole in 2000, and 9/11. I am not including the Madrid and London bombings, because the automatic response of the Left is that it was the natural response to Iraq. As if prior to the Iraq war Madrid and London were not targets of Islamists. Need I remind you the plot foiled by MI5 to place ricin in the water-systems in London in 2002?
    I have a problem with people believing they have a divine mandate to do whatever they d**n well please with this country. Living in Texas, I can tell you that I have no sympathy for the views of conservative Christians who seek to make their beliefs law. Pray-ins for the Supreme court, Pat Robertson believing that SD O'Connor's retirement is a sign from God, and the such gets me annoyed. I am a deeply religious Hindu, but I don't go around expecting my views to become the law of the land. You can tell me Bush did nothing wrong, when as governer nothing was done when Jewish, Muslim and Hindu students were persecuted in the hallways of their own schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Don't tell me.....was it the members of the Garden of Gethsemane Spiritual Pentacostal Charismatic Chapel of St.John the Baptizer (on the frontage road) ladies' bridge club?

Perhaps you should speak more clearly and say what you mean which I presume is............."George Bush is the cause of the Middle East conflict because he's a blind fundamentalist Christian"

And while you're at it perhaps you can give me your definition of a fundamentalist christian?
    A fundamentalist Christian is one who takes a literal reading of the Bible, and believes his beliefs to be the sole incontrovertible truth. Fundamentalist Christians seek to use government to change the laws in their favor, and are generally condemning, if not harrasing and discriminatory, towards people of other faiths. Such people do not believe in facts and science, and instead rely on something writtend two thousand years ago. They want religion to be an established institution, and discourage free-thinking, science and progress.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if i am wrong.

It is my understanding that fundamentalist Christians who take a literalist approach to interpretaiton with regards to the Bible beleive that in order for Jesus to return the land of Israel has to be solely populated by Jews who have converted to Christianity.

Therefore surely it is in the interest of fundamentlist, conservative Christians like George Dubya for the continuation and EXPANSION of a Jewish state in the occupied territories. Of course this ideolgy plays into the hands of the zionsits. Therefore it is very natural to conclude that 'American fundamental Christians' are a very key component in the ongoing crisis.

very much agree, but i've never once seen someone change sides once they know something about the conflict.

personally my view is that israel should withdraw from most of the westbank (consolidating only the largest dozen or so settlements and keeping them for good) and the palestinian areas should then be granted stateship. the PA should be fully supported with the help of international/UN officials to crackdown on corruption and stragnle the likes of hamas and the al-aqsa brigades hold over people.
    the situation is enver going to improve whilst the people of palestine really have nothing to live nor hope for.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.