Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello There!

My driving instructor told me recently that in my test if i hit the kerb during a parallel park that i can move forward and try again!

Is this true? Because my other old crappy instructor told me that it's an automatic fail!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    Hello There!

My driving instructor told me recently that in my test if i hit the kerb during a parallel park that i can move forward and try again!

Is this true? Because my other old crappy instructor told me that it's an automatic fail!

Thanks!
    Automatic fail I've been told. Counts as a collision, so yeh, major.

your allowed to move foreward. just dont hit it. not sure if its a fail, but youll probably get a minor

ReputationRep:
    Juast don't mount the pavement, that is a fail!

ReputationRep:
    It's not a dangerous thing to do, so I think it would only be a minor at worst. And I've been told you can move forward and try again, same goes for reverse parking, reversing round a corner and three point turns.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    its only fail if you actually mount the curb. Does the test centre your doing your test at have a car park? if so you are more likely to get a bay park and one of either a turn in the road or a reverse around a corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    Hello There!

Thanks!
    I did the very same thing on my driving test, and failed because of it! My driving instructor said just spend as long as you want doing it, and as you're reversing, if you think you're going to hit the kerb, you are allowed to pull out and start it again, and you can do that as many times as you want. You'll probably get minors for being hesitant, but it's better than getting a major for hitting the kerb. Oh yes, and if you do decide to pull out and try again, make sure you tell the driving instructor what you're doing.

Having said that I've failed 5 times so probably not the best person for advice...

ReputationRep:
    If you slide along the kerb you shouldn't get a major. If you actually drive into it then I was told that it should be an automatic failure but I know people who have passed having done that -- so it depends on if the examiner wants to pass you or not, I think

ReputationRep:
    I scraped it but manouevered to sort it out and only got a minor. If you drive straight into it, climb it or whatever then you'll fail. When I did it though I thought i'd majorly buggered up and I couldn't move forward either because there was this double decker creeping forward near me so I just kept going. I thought I'd failed though so asked the examiner at the end and he basically said that if you only have a small error like that but your general observation and skill is good throughout the test then you'll get away with it. They're not after perfection.

ReputationRep:
    You should be ok as long as you don't really like drive into it whcih is a bit reckless, a nudge should be ok as its only just a slight misjudgement. Better still don't hit the curb

ReputationRep:
    If there is no one there at the time and you hit the curb it may not be a fail providing you drive forward and start the manoeuvre again.

By doing this you are showing the examiner that you have made a mistake and are trying to rectify the problem. Basically emphasing your awareness.

Good luck in your test :-)

ReputationRep:
    MY driving instructor always said it was ok to take a shunt and try it again and you should only incur a minor, as long as you dont mount the kurb. I grazed it in my test (But didnt actually notice mind you) and got a minor for it.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.