Turn on thread page Beta

The old 'deportation of asylum seekers' debate watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    The assumptions are based on common sense. Don't be such a pedant.

I'm tired. I've just finished a twelve hour shift. If you really doubt what I say find something that proves me wrong. Failed asylum seekers are bad for the UK. Full stop.
    You say common sense I say right-wing alarmist nonsense based on absolutely nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    nonsense based on absolutely nothing...
    what an accurate description of your postings.

now...care to do what the guy asked you and prove him wrong if you think its the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    what an accurate description of your postings.

now...care to do what the guy asked you and prove him wrong if you think its the case?
    Im not the one stating the social problems that apparently failed asylum seekers bring here...I can't prove him wrong if the conclusions are part of what he/she calls 'common sense'....

You might want to read your reply first before submitting it

ReputationRep:
    Im not the one stating 'facts' here...I can't prove him wrong if the conclusions are part of what he/she calls 'common sense'....

thats a no then.

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    thats a no then.

thank you.
    You are welcome..

ReputationRep:
    Im not the one stating the social problems that apparently failed asylum seekers bring here...I can't prove him wrong if the conclusions are part of what he/she calls 'common sense'....

Do you not think failed asylum seekers should be made to leave the UK? If so how do you suppose we stop them disappearing when their claim is refused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Do you not think failed asylum seekers should be made to leave the UK? If so how do you suppose we stop them disappearing when their claim is refused?
    We are not discussing if they should be removed or not (Of course they should) ...you stated that they cause social problems and I don't see how you came to such a conclusion...

ReputationRep:
    We are not discussing if they should be removed or not (Of course they should) ...you stated that they cause social problems and I don't see how you came to such a conclusion...
    Well what I said doesn't particularly matter if you agree they should be removed. How do you propose that we ensure failed asylum seekers are removed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Well what I said doesn't particularly matter if you agree they should be removed. How do you propose that we ensure failed asylum seekers are removed?
    Well of course it does matter since you are labelling a group of people as a source of social concern...my opinion on failed asylum seekers being removed is based upon the fact that they simply do not satisfy the criteria rather than what they might do..

I think we should do what we do now BUT disperse them in NI....after a couple of months you will find that only those who are truly fleeing prosecution will be staying...those who leave will move to Ireland...so it's all good

ReputationRep:
    Ok Alexdel, 2 of the London bombers were asylum seekers. Is that a big enough of a scoical problem for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.)
    Ok Alexdel, 2 of the London bombers were asylum seekers. Is that a big enough of a scoical problem for you?
    ......'Failed'.......it would be advisable to read what we are discussing...

ReputationRep:
    Well of course it does matter since you are labelling a group of people as a source of social concern...my opinion on failed asylum seekers being removed is based upon the fact that they simply do not satisfy the criteria rather than what they might do..

I think we should do what we do now BUT disperse them in NI....after a couple of months you will find that only those who are truly fleeing prosecution will be staying...those who leave will move to Ireland...so it's all good
    It doesn't matter because we are discussing how we should ensure that failed asylum seekers are deported, not why they should be deported. I could say all failed asylum seekers have orange hair. It may not be true, but doesn't negate the fact that they should be deported.

And last time I checked NI was part of the UK. Why not offer a serious propsal for ensuring that failed asylum seekers do not remain in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    It doesn't matter because we are discussing how we should ensure that failed asylum seekers are deported, not why they should be deported. I could say all failed asylum seekers have orange hair. It may not be true, but doesn't negate the fact that they should be deported.

And last time I checked NI was part of the UK. Why not offer a serious propsal for ensuring that failed asylum seekers do not remain in the UK.
    It is a serious proposal....it would work wonders...

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a good article regarding failed asylum seekers. Lays out the problems quite clearly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nasylum19.xml

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers everyone. Detention may solve a lot of problems, but is there a maximum detention time? I've read that some are out or sent back within 2 weeks, but others can be there years. Surely a common goal for all of us, right or left wing, is to speed up the evaluation process.

I also must agree with Carl, to make a change, The fact is that many asylum seekers are involved in criminal activites, and there is satistical evidence of this, I am not making an assumption. This may be because they can't get jobs while awaiting acceptance. i believe the answer to this to educate.

Does anyone know of anyway to speed up the applictation process?

ReputationRep:
    The answer is simple. The UK government should keep a tight list of legitimate sources of refugees. For example, a person from Darfur or Kosovo should be allowed to claim assylum. But a man who is wanted by the US for inflamatory remarks should not be allowed in. Keeping a defined protocol to assess whether or not asylum should be granted is the key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate29987)
    Greyhound02, I did not mean to suggest that detention camps and concentration camps are one in the same. And while I agree that it may be better to keep asylum seekers in a controlled environment, and that it could be better for them in this transtion period, I feel this method would further alienate asylum seekers from society.
    And some were kept in concentration camps to await deportation I think.

Sorry if you found my post offensive, it wasn't meant to be.

Kate
    Cheers Kate, I didn't find your comments offensive, just a bit over the top! I don't really understand though how asylum seekers can be kept in a 'controlled environment' without some sort of centre for them to stay. Maybe using the words 'detention centre' doesn't sit comfortably with you? We could always call it something else of course. I think it's best not to think of it like prison because that's not really what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate29987)
    Thanks for the answers everyone. Detention may solve a lot of problems, but is there a maximum detention time? I've read that some are out or sent back within 2 weeks, but others can be there years. Surely a common goal for all of us, right or left wing, is to speed up the evaluation process.

I also must agree with Carl, to make a change, The fact is that many asylum seekers are involved in criminal activites, and there is satistical evidence of this, I am not making an assumption. This may be because they can't get jobs while awaiting acceptance. i believe the answer to this to educate.

Does anyone know of anyway to speed up the applictation process?
    As regards speeding up the process-if all the processing took place on site the process will become infinitely faster. I also agree with Sol that a list of countries where people should not need asylum from is useful. Perhaps we should consider their application once but if they do fail deny them the right of appeal.

I think on top of that it is worth remembering that those asylum seekers who do get involved in criminal activity for the most part don't do it maliciously (ie to get rich quick or destroy society) but do it to make ends meet. Alexdel would have you believe I want all failed asylum seekers neutered so they can't reproduce or something :rolleyes: However I fear that some people will take advantage of our county's generosity to those who need it. This cannot be tolerated and the government should taker steps to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks whoever repped me!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.