Turn on thread page Beta

Tally Ho! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)

There is always room for change. I think that if advances are available where the population of foxes can be controlled scientifically we should use this rather than making a cruel sport out of it.

I agree some traditions should not be upheld and your examples are good ones.

Realistically is the government going to spend much money controlling foxes 'scientifically'.

Until a solution is found why ban something that is CREATING revenue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empedocles)
    It isn't pointless. The fox numbers need controlling - that's the point.
    HOW DARE YOU!

you have no right to control numbers of life thats the most ridiculous thing ever, nature should control it not us you idiot this is a good example of why we are destroyinfg earth as we try and control it.

Dinosaurs where on this earth for millions of years and they didn't do a thing to the earth except try and live

We have been on this earth for what thousands of years nearlk half of that of the dinasaurs, and we have effected everything, lives, even effecting the o zone layer dont you people learn

stoopid idiot you have really annoyed me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Well if the fox often escapes then foxhunting obviously isnt an effective method of culling the fox population is it?

And what about all the foxes that dont escape, its ok to torture them because some get away?
    It's a question of controlling, not culling. 'Torture' is emotive and inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAngelx)
    HOW DARE YOU!

you have no right to control numbers of life thats the most ridiculous thing ever, nature should control it not us you idiot this is a good example of why we are destroyinfg earth as we try and control it.

Dinosaurs where on this earth for millions of years and they didn't do a thing to the earth except try and live

We have been on this earth for what thousands of years nearlk half of that of the dinasaurs, and we have effected everything, lives, even effecting the o zone layer dont you people learn

That's an interesting debating technique you have there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from - I never stated how many times I've been hunting. For your information I have been 12 times in the last three years
    From this...

I used to be anti-hunting despite being a 'horsey person' until I went a few years ago, it is a fantastic activity and a real countryside tradition.
    It suggested singularity to me, apologies.

My point is you argue against it when you only have the facts the press shove at you. When you read everyone's view - then we'll talk.
    I live in the countryside, I'm hardly drawing only from facts given to me by the press. Furthermore, I'm fully aware of both sides of the argument. I also happen to know someone, personally, who has hunted in the past. I've discussed this with him at length, I know the pro-arguments extremely well. I also hear those farmers who are pro-hunting, but they seem a minority compared to those who are anti.

Of COurse H&H is going to be pro-hunting, but if you read it you may see the arguments are very sensible and well supported.
    Anti-Semitic propaganda was also well argued, in Nazi Germany - that's the idea of it, it's supposed to sound convincing.

My point about farmers is from my own personal experience, again I state I don't know much about the English scene but here we have little problem finding land to hold the hunts. And even though I'm not a regular follower (Not overly keen on the jumping lark!) I am involved with those that are and so know the realities of it.
    Perhaps our differences arise from how we regard hunting. As you say, the scenes are different from one area to another and the issues surrounding it are bound to be altered somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    It suggested singularity to me, apologies.
    Sorry, that should probably have been ' first went hunting'

(Original post by Alec)
    Perhaps our differences come from how we regard hunting. As you say, the scenes are different from one area to another and the issues surrounding it are bound to be altered somewhat.
    That could well be it, it's nice to be able to have a decent debate with someone who can make their points and yet listen to the other person's point of view. (Unlike some on this thread) *shakes Alec's hand*

I'm leaving this discussion now as I have said all I wish to as I usually don't get involved in the hunting debate on horsey forums! But as I was in the minority here I felt I needed to stand up for the pros.

ReputationRep:
    That could well be it, it's nice to be able to have a decent debate with someone who can make their points and yet listen to the other person's point of view. (Unlike some on this thread) *shakes Alec's hand*

I'm leaving this discussion now as I have said all I wish to as I usually don't get involved in the hunting debate on horsey forums! But as I was in the minority here I felt I needed to stand up for the pros.
    Yes, good debate. If only more of the threads on this forum were up to our high standards.

ReputationRep:
    The foxes are forced to run for miles bewilderedly whilst they try to get away, and then if and when they are caught they are ripped apart. Yes I'd say thats torture. Its my opinion, its not an emotive opinion its a factual one I've seen hunts.

If the Australian government is interesting in putting money into more effective ways of controlling the fox population, I dont see why the British government would be any different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAngelx)
    HOW DARE YOU!

Just out of interest, are you a meateater? Do you not wear products which are animal based? eg. leather, wool etc.
    If the answer is yes then you are also responsible for controlling the animal population.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. (Answer to original question!)

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.