Hydromancer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I've kind of decided to firm Manchester for medicine which is a PBL med school. From various sources, I've gathered that PBL generally involves more (self-directed) study and work than the lecture heavy courses.

Are there any suggestions from the experience of current medical students about how to do well at medical school and how to succeed on a PBL-based course?

I'm appreciate any help.
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would recomend doing a little and often. It is a bit hard to cram at the last minute on a PBL course when you do not have lecture notes and ready made handouts available to you. Preper for each PBL session as you go along, cover all ILOs and you will do just fine. Do not go crazy though, some people go into radiculous depth for each learning objective.
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get good at blagging copies of other peoples notes so you can see what they are doing.
Medicine Man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just do them well and make sure you leave each session having fully understood exactly what you were meant to and you'll be ok for exams. Chances are (and this is the case at Barts) you'll cover the basic information again in lectures (in less detail and without relating it to the case) just so the university has a way of standardising exactly what everyone knows. And at Barts you're given exam style SAQs (which are completely formative) at the end of each session just so everyone has an idea about what they should have gained from the PBL.

I've been to quite a few PBLs and blagged my way right through simply because I hadn't done them but tbh you can easily leach off clues people have mentioned in the feedback session and think of something to add on the spot. You'll get better as you go along and rather than coming back with pages and pages of information like you would do at the beginning of the year, you'll start to be more concise and straight to the point.

I quite like PBLs tbh but I'm secretly glad they end in the 3rd year at Barts. :p:
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
I quite like PBLs tbh but I'm secretly glad they end in the 3rd year at Barts.
You wish...
bean87
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im a manchester first year, and it all seems pretty relaxed this year. when it comes to work, a bit of PBL here and there gets you through fine

but you do need a little self control
Hydromancer
Rep:
?
(Original post by bean87)
im a manchester first year, and it all seems pretty relaxed this year. when it comes to work, a bit of PBL here and there gets you through fine

but you do need a little self control
Roughly how much time is spent studying every week if you don't mind me asking and is there like an "induction" period for PBL to get you used to it? How do the lectures fit in with PBL?

Thanks
AJ89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right I'm in 2nd year at manchester and you can make it pretty much completely self directed. We have about 6 lectures a week that are complementary to the pbl case (i.e. just a guide to what you are supposed to be learning) and imo the majority are not worth going to and the ones that are I fall asleep in... so I haven't been to a single one this year!
Depending on how good you are at remembering notes you can get away with about 5 hours a week and then revise hard at the end of term.
Saying that I guess the average person probably does more-maybe about 12 and will get through fine.
Definitely for the first 2 years this is ok
HotCoco.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hydromancer)
Roughly how much time is spent studying every week if you don't mind me asking and is there like an "induction" period for PBL to get you used to it? How do the lectures fit in with PBL?

Thanks
On the website I think I read somewhere that there is a 4-week PBL induction programme.
AJ89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HotCoco.)
On the website I think I read somewhere that there is a 4-week PBL induction programme.
That was the case in my first year but I think they've changed it this year... Only 2 weeks. !
HotCoco.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AJ89)
That was the case in my first year but I think they've changed it this year... Only 2 weeks. !
No, it still says 4 weeks for 2010 entry.
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...se/?code=01428
beccy.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've kind of decided to firm Manchester for medicine which is a PBL med school. From various sources, I've gathered that PBL generally involves more (self-directed) study and work than the lecture heavy courses.

Are there any suggestions from the experience of current medical students about how to do well at medical school and how to succeed on a PBL-based course?

I'm appreciate any help.
HI my little personal statement helpee very glad you've firmed such a wonderful university!
we do as much work as we want. last year we were in uni most days, and in semester 3 we were working very hard all the time and in uni a lot.
I have done no work since my january exams.
Make of this what you will.

You will succeed if you try hard and do all the work, it just needs to be done and you can get away with doing none for weeks so long as you do do it at some point. Although I would advise working hard all year and not slacking off
beccy.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HotCoco.)
No, it still says 4 weeks for 2010 entry.
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...se/?code=01428
The new first years just had 2 weeks and then had 1 week of early experience later on in semester 1 where they did all their hospital visits and things. I know this because I have children in that year
belis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Thanks
You can spend as much or as little time as you wish. Nonone is going to monitor what you do (although if you are going to come unprepered to every PBL session your tutor may start looking into it). It is your responsibility to motivate yourself. People differ in how much time they need to spend studying to reach required standard.

One of the reasons why I enjoyed Manchester so much is that it was very flexible. Lectures were not compulsory and I could easily juggle Uni with my part time job and other commitments.

First year is all about making friends and adjusting to living away from home. As long as you preper for PBL sessions you should have no problems passing exams.
Hydromancer
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Sorry if my questions appear a bit silly...it's just that I have little experience of PBL and don't fully understand it so I am a bit concerned about how to approach it!
belis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Sorry if my questions appear a bit silly...it's just that I have little experience of PBL and don't fully understand it so I am a bit concerned about how to approach it!
Don't worry to much. You will havepractise cases at the start and the whole process will be explained in detail during introductory weeks. Everyone be in the same boat. Good luck.
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Thanks
im very lazy and dont do much work, its different for different people. some i know do about 15-20hours of PBL work a week. i probably do 5-8 hours a week. sometimes i have a week where i just do nothing. other than that theres about 5 hours of lectures a week, that i dont go to, and 2.5 hours of PBL group session. then 2 hours of dissection and this semester 2 hours of physiology practical. thats everything. not very much i dont think

we had a 1 week introduction to PBL in the first week, then got cracking with the proper cases
SahilB91
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does it matter where you finish in your year? How important are merits and distinctions?
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SahilB91)
Does it matter where you finish in your year? How important are merits and distinctions?
to me it doesnt matter whether i get honour/distinction, but alot of people care. as long as i dont fail, i dont care. i assume though that graduating with honours would look very good on your record

a geek i know was annoyed because he came 17th in the year and didnt get a distinction. too many private school pricks sometimes. very arrogant and uptight
belis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SahilB91)
As imporant as you make them. Ranking within the year is likely to be conected in one way or another with points for fundation jobs applications so they do matter in that respect. If you graduate with honours it would look good on your CV.

With hinsight I wish I had tried a little bit harder in preclinicals as I have missed overall honours by one point only. If only I wasn't so lazy in the 1st year. :o:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.1%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.75%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.72%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads