Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    I hate spiders
    So do I. Unfortunatly I killed one with my "Increase your Italian volcabulary" book, freshly purchased from WHSmiths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Thanks! Though IMHO I think your mix is a lot more stunning, wow half Finnish, half Malaysian :eek: And you kind of look like a friend of mine I cheerlead with who's of that background, but half Irish instead of the Finnish part. She's considered to be pretty hot, I'd take that as a complement :p:

Also my BF is half Finnish, half Irish (lol), but he doesn't look exotic Most people think he's a skip (plain Irish Australian), but he's not. Do you know any Finnish? My BF's been picking up the language quite a bit lately.

And yes, so what do the others look like?

DB_x
    lol. So weird to hear someone say being half finn is exotic. I've always thought it rather boring Yeah I do know some Finnish, it's my mother tongue! But with my mom I spoke Finglish (English+Finnish, sounds ridiculous btw). But I'd rather had spoken Malay/Mandarin with her. What about you, do you speak just English with your parents? Parli italiano?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knööli)
    lol. So weird to hear someone say being half finn is exotic. I've always thought it rather boring Yeah I do know some Finnish, it's my mother tongue! But with my mom I spoke Finglish (English+Finnish, sounds ridiculous btw). But I'd rather had spoken Malay/Mandarin with her. What about you, do you speak just English with your parents? Parli italiano?
    Oh I forgot to ask you last night - do people mistake you for another nationality that you're not? I get that all the time! :eek: :rolleyes: Like if they think I'm Spanish or something, so annoying As for other languages, well... obviously I just speak English with my parents hehe, esp my dad as even though he looks Indian, he's Anglo-Indian really so English is his mother tongue

Ironically as for the Italian, that was taught at school!! :p: So I learnt it throughout Primary and most of High School (until year 11 when I dropped languages for geography). Used to pay out ('take the piss of') my mum in Italian, I only knew enough for that really I was the perfect child, not :rolleyes:

Anyway I sent you a PM

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    Here in Fin ppl usually think I'm just plain Finn. I hate that! But lately many have guessed me to be half japanese. When I'm in southern european countries ppl always think I'm local. It's so fun to listen Scandinavian tourists talk in their own language when they think no one around understands You don't like to be mistaken Spanish? I'm usually flattered :P

ReputationRep:
    BUMP. Hi people

ReputationRep:
    I'm not mixed but I love mixes never realised til I got myself an ex who was half-Dutch and then fancied a guy who was half-Polish I dunno, half-whatever half-whatever has a sexy ring to it (on guys, of course) :p:

My kids in future would probably be eurasian I can't really see myself marrying a Chinese guy - although who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Finglish probably sounds about as bizarre as Chinglish Wow how many languages do you speak!? :eek: Can you read/write Mandarin then?

ReputationRep:
    OK, I know both of my parent are from the same country, so are my grandparents, all Taiwanese.
    Wait! Don't give me that You've-missd-the-point look! Let me finish!

But since childhood till now, I've always had this identity complex. Allow me to explain: my father's occupation moves him around the world alot, so the first memor I have about my life was in Italy. From one to seven I lived with Italians, spoke Italian, and playd football like all of them, the only "strange thing" was that I spoke a different language when I got home. (And I could never understand some other kid, pulling his eyes apart, and producing "chin-chin chan chan" sounds.) I have someone who I consider a grandmother figure in Rome.
    When I was eight I moved back to Taiwan, my supposed homeland, but it felt nothing like home. The culture was different, the people were different and I had this I'm-not-at-home feeling.
    Two years later, we moved to Maryland, USA where the issue wasn't that extreme, classmates there were used to foriegners and I don't remember experiencing anything to remind myself that I didn't fit in.
    I moved back to Taiwan, and completed three years of middle school, which really haped me to understand teh whole Taiwanese culture, and made me feel really confident with having my Taiwanese heritage, and the whole Asian pride.
    In 2001, I moved again to Holland, where I attended a British school, and the most profound thing was meeting this Chinese person, who challenged my status as a Taiwanese person, and argued that I was Chinese (political reasons for those who are confused - go read the history of recent China). The school also messed-up my accent, I sound British to an American, I sound American to a British person.

After all these years people love asking me these silly questions:

Where do you come from? (Eg. you can tell a BBC hasn'e lived in China, the environment does funny things to your appearance, disregarding what genes you have.) (I have been call Iserali, Mogolian, and apanese to name a few.)

Do you relate yourself to Taiwan? (From those parents of my Taiwanese friends, questioning whether I felt Taiwanese? or more Taiwanese than American-British-Italian-Dutch?)

and What race will your wife be? (Favourite (see! what Americans will think of my spelling) question of my mother, who wasn't her daugther in law be Taiwanese, which unfortunatly is the last thing I want. I was bullied by lots of girls when I was in Taiwanese Elementary school, and I attended a all-boys middle school in Taiwan. My "intented gf" have always been caucasian so far.)

So perhaps I'm not physically mixed, I am sure that my cultural heritage is influenced by the following: I am Taiwanese politically, I'm Chinese ethnically, I feel Italian when talking about life, I understand the American mentality, I'm Dutch when talking about money, and somewhat British and Spanish as I speak thier language.

ReputationRep:
    Finally.. we are resurrected from the dead.

ReputationRep:
    Simplistic question; but what the hell.

My heritage is ostensibly (nay, unmistakeably) Celt; however, I am constituted of Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English 'blood': deduce from that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Finglish probably sounds about as bizarre as Chinglish Wow how many languages do you speak!? :eek: Can you read/write Mandarin then?
    I can speak 6 languages but not Mandarin I know only some words and phrases.. (shame on me!)

ReputationRep:
    My mother is Malaysian and my father is Brazilian.
    On the Malaysian side: great grandmother originates from North India while great grandfather is Dutch-Javanese
    On the Brazilian side: English and Scottish roots

ReputationRep:
    Here to join the club.

Mother: Pure Japanese heritage.

Father: British-born Polish. Grandparents settled there after WWII.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broadway_Babie)
    Here to join the club.

Mother: Pure Japanese heritage.

Father: British-born Polish. Grandparents settled there after WWII.
    Woah. Nice Mix Barbie. Wanna get hitched?

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly Bengali but have a little Arab/Persian/Turkish blood from many generations back... but I'm not sure if you could really call that mixed heritage if it was that long ago...

But as far as nationality goes, I'm a British-Dutch-Bangladeshi (born in the Netherlands, grew up in Britain and parents from Bangladesh).

I'm also curious about something... are there any Chindians here? (Chinese-Indians) I don't think I've ever met one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagged)
    I'm mostly Bengali but have a little Arab/Persian/Turkish blood from many generations back... but I'm not sure if you could really call that mixed heritage if it was that long ago...

But as far as nationality goes, I'm a British-Dutch-Bangladeshi (born in the Netherlands, grew up in Britain and parents from Bangladesh).

I'm also curious about something... are there any Chindians here? (Chinese-Indians) I don't think I've ever met one...
    Must be rare. Chinese - Indians don't really hook up...

ReputationRep:
    I can speak 6 languages but not Mandarin I know only some words and phrases.. (shame on me!)
    My goodness :eek: 6 languages!? How?!

Lol Mandarin's pretty hard though - probably one of the hardest languages around (defo harder than English, whatever the British likes to say - mind you, I much prefer English lol so much simpler) I don't speak Mandarin and the pronounciation confuses me a little if I tried speaking it cus I get it mixed up with Canto lol!

Indians - when I was working with a load of 5-year-olds and then a load of 7-year-old in a camp, in the 5's there was a half-Indian boy in my group and in the 7's a half-African girl. Seriously, when those two grow up and turn 18 they're so gonna be a heart-breaker!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I'm half Brazilian half English.

Well there actually isn't such a race as "Brazilian". My mother is made up of Black, Latino and hispanic, her family go back to South Africa, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

My father was born in England, though his grandfather (my great grandfather) was born in Holland. However I think even he moved to the UK when he was very a very young child.

ReputationRep:
    Great...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.