Turn on thread page Beta

Hey i am going to start A-levels in september, and i have few more weeks to make my final A-level choices. I am going to do Biology, Chemistry, History but for my final choice i am stuck between physics and psychology. I am wondering would i have an advantage when applying to med schools, if i have 3 science for A-level. Or are only biology and chemistry needed for medicine. Also how can i get work experience because i know work experience is needed.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're planning to apply to Cambridge, having a third science won't affect your application, so do the one you like best/think you have the best chance of an A in.

As for work experience, think about local places you'd like to work (GP surgeries, hospitals - preferably specific departments as in my experience general work exp enquiries sent to HR tend to disappear - care homes, hospices etc.) Think about how you want to work; shadowing for a week or two or a long term couple of hours a week placement. Then call them. Hospitals in particular will have handled it before so you won't be the first.

ReputationRep:
    Do the one that you enjoy - it's easier to get a good grade in something you have a natural affinity for, and at the end of the day that's what you need...

Plus, you really need work experience - the more the better. Some medical schools put more onus on this than grades (so long as you satisfy the minimum grade requirement). Remember that it doesn't have to be directly medically related, so don't stress if you find arranging some 'doctor stalking' hard.

Have a look at www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk and www.thetridenttrust.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    You'l need to do some kind of maths related subject. eg maths or physics

ReputationRep:
    at beyond GCSE level?

wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Some medics are scared of subjects like Maths. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    You'l need to do some kind of maths related subject. eg maths or physics

no way lmao, a lot of uni's like 2 science A2's + 1 non science, so bio & chem plus 1 non science subj.

as math & physics are science, a non science subject is probably favoured

ReputationRep:
    or do both?

I did psych this year as a 5th subject and didn't find it that hard to teach myself (but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out how i did) Or do AS physics this year and AS psych next if you still want to, or the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    Hey i am going to start A-levels in september, and i have few more weeks to make my final A-level choices. I am going to do Biology, Chemistry, History but for my final choice i am stuck between physics and psychology. I am wondering would i have an advantage when applying to med schools, if i have 3 science for A-level. Or are only biology and chemistry needed for medicine. Also how can i get work experience because i know work experience is needed.

Im gonna be choosing Chem, Bio, His, and (random subject to drop after AS) probs Economics or summit. They dont have a wide range of subjects at my school. If i was in your position i would take Psychology as this was whta i wanted to take as my 'random subject to drop at AS', but my school didn't do it. Choose the one you like best!

(Original post by flipflop2)
    Im gonna be choosing Chem, Bio, His, and (random subject to drop after AS) probs Economics or summit. They dont have a wide range of subjects at my school. If i was in your position i would take Psychology as this was whta i wanted to take as my 'random subject to drop at AS', but my school didn't do it. Choose the one you like best!
    Cool random subject i may choose psychology but physics is cool.

ReputationRep:
    As my signature says, do I stand a chance at those uni’s?

1. Bristol / Birmingham / Nottingham
    2. Leicester
    3. Durham / Newcastle
    4. Keele

Also thinking of hull-york med school and brighton-sussex med school.

I doing loads of voluntary work (residential home for neuro degenerative disorders, good hope hospital meet and greet service and st john's ambulance) and extra curricula stuff (kung fu, running and swimming) and paid work at Halfords, yah ist sehr gut; might be going to Canada next year with duke of Edinburgh; usa and iran for a visit.

personal statement done and referrence being done.

Gcse; 3 a*s 2a*s 3b's and d - don't laugh please, I am embarrassed.

I think thats it?

ReputationRep:
    obviously you know those A2 grades are pretty amazing, Sayed!

were they your predictions? or were your predictions lower & so potentially a factor in you not getting offers..?

& did you ask for feedback from the medical schools you applied to this year? that might be VERY useful in targetting what aspects of your application to improve - but otherwise, more work experience, more voluntary work etc. seems like a good bet! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sweet Elles.

Well they were my predictions except for general studies, lol which i expected to get D in. Well nottingham was my fault as needed 6 a's to be considered but i only had 3 a*'s and 2 a's, lolol :p: .

GKT and imperial said very competative as well as nottingham but imperial sais more volunatry work which i am doing and other extra curricula stuff which i am also doing. Arranging more hospital work exp and now my neighbour is GP so might be able to sit in consultation if cleared by his practice manager.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats about being so mature about your predicament, actually listening to what unis have told you and more importantly acting on it!

It's very refreshing to see an straight A bod who isn't an egotistical and arrogant ass, not being able to understand why they didn't 'make it' this year, and failing to believe that there could have been anything wrong with ,or a lightly weaker part to, their application.

The difference a year spend wisely can make to an application (especially with those grades) is immense.

How did you fair in the BMAT, and what did Oxford say? You sig says you applied there....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    How did you fair in the BMAT, and what did Oxford say? You sig says you applied there....
    i'm intrigued on that one too.. your A2 subjects look fairly BMAT friendly (apart from perhaps essay writing - but i didn't think that score was used) - but unfortunately as you probably know your GCSEs would have meant to get on the automatic shortlist you needed a pretty amazing BMAT performance. or exenuating circumstances / especially strong application elsewhere in PS & ref. i.e. being a 'late developer' i suppose.

i don't know what the process is with post results candidates - whether they still do the BMAT-GCSE thing, although it does seem a tad unfair, given you've got more recent 'public exams' that could be considered.. but i imagine only a few people do apply post results. hmmm...

anyway, otherwise i agree with fluffy - you're in a fab academic position & i'm sure unis like making unconditional offers :p: cos it makes you a rather safe bet..

so just work on the voluntary experience/extracurriculars (i somewhat combined the two working with Riding for the Disabled - so if there are any sports or hobbies you have this can sometimes be done?)

& if you're looking for a flexible-ish paid job to earn some money (also a cunning plan, meaning you can focus a bit more on academic work rather than feeling deoslate in your first year & living on baked beans on toast...) you could look into NHS Professionals - which is an agency providing nurses, although with no vocational qualifications they might take you on as a 'Healthcare Assistant'. or i spent my summer before med school working in hospital admin, which was also enlightening, in a slightly different way..

ReputationRep:
    Don’t make me blush fluffy, :p:

Well both were a 5.5 or around that (rubbish I know, I had bad day) but I got 3.0 in the writing essay, I thought it didn’t matter and I couldn’t be bothered with it. Anyway, I only got 3a*'s so I know I had to be in the top 10% which I wasn’t so I really expected that i would be rejected, it was worth a long shot at applying to oxford. GCSE’s, well I didn’t put the work in, I guess I thought I didn’t need to revise so hard and so took it easy. I hated myself for 2 damn years, I thought I was such a fool but these grades have proved me wrong since I can achieve the best.

Yah, if I have done my a-levels, do I have to do the BMAT again since BMAT is there to distinguish between as-level students (pre a level grades). What is their policy on this, I should email them? Can anyone help me?

Oh, yah I doing sh*t loads of voluntary work, my whole week revolves around that and running every morning which I may run for charity when I good enough. I work at Halfords, which isn’t too bad since they game me load time off during exams and they are so flexible but I suppose job as Healthcare assistant is better since it is an actual job in the healthcare profession.

Hopefully I learn first aid and do events with st John ’s ambulance, footy match’s here I come and also give all that hot totti :p: the kiss of life.

Thanks all for you help anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i'm intrigued on that one too.. your A2 subjects look fairly BMAT friendly (apart from perhaps essay writing - but i didn't think that score was used) - but unfortunately as you probably know your GCSEs would have meant to get on the automatic shortlist you needed a pretty amazing BMAT performance. or exenuating circumstances / especially strong application elsewhere in PS & ref. i.e. being a 'late developer' i suppose.

i don't know what the process is with post results candidates - whether they still do the BMAT-GCSE thing, although it does seem a tad unfair, given you've got more recent 'public exams' that could be considered.. but i imagine only a few people do apply post results. hmmm...

anyway, otherwise i agree with fluffy - you're in a fab academic position & i'm sure unis like making unconditional offers :p: cos it makes you a rather safe bet..

so just work on the voluntary experience/extracurriculars (i somewhat combined the two working with Riding for the Disabled - so if there are any sports or hobbies you have this can sometimes be done?)

& if you're looking for a flexible-ish paid job to earn some money (also a cunning plan, meaning you can focus a bit more on academic work rather than feeling deoslate in your first year & living on baked beans on toast...) you could look into NHS Professionals - which is an agency providing nurses, although with no vocational qualifications they might take you on as a 'Healthcare Assistant'. or i spent my summer before med school working in hospital admin, which was also enlightening, in a slightly different way..
    How did you know my GCSE scores or did i post in different room? i dont't know and cannot remember?

Well my dad seems to think that i have no chance next year even though i explained to him i have the grades thus a safer bet than those who apply in year 13. I explained in enough times but i just can't be bothered with him, since he pressured me into applying to nottingham and london and oxford; i would have applied to keele which better chance of getting a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayed_samed)
    Gcse; 3 a*s 2a*s 3b's and d - don't laugh please, I am embarrassed.

I think thats it?
    dude, you posted this just a few posts further up the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    dude, you posted this just a few posts further up the page
    Damn, sorry mr/miss moderator. I didn't know, a bit tired i guess.

Thankyou, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayed_samed)
    Yah, if I have done my a-levels, do I have to do the BMAT again since BMAT is there to distinguish between as-level students (pre a level grades). What is their policy on this, I should email them? Can anyone help me?
    i've asked them before now - but not really sure there is a 'policy' as such , because the whole GCSE-BMAT system is only starting it's 3rd year & so few people apply post grades?

it might be worth contacting them (well admissions co-ordinator - whose email should be on the website) to ask how they'd deal with an application from you.. outline your GCSEs, A2s say you're a 'later academic developer' etc.

but only if you actually want to go there ("since he pressured me into applying to nottingham and london and oxford").

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2005

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.