The Student Room Group

Missing an offer by a lot

Right I have basically completely ****ed up my exams and this isn't last minute panicking either I really really have.

So I'm thinking what I want to do is resit a year and try and get the grades for my firm choice, which is York. I'll almost def. have missed the grades for my insurance by miles as well so I wont be commited to going there or anything, but does anyone know how likely it is that York will still want me next year,anything I could do to convince them they do or what I should do on results day?

Please help, i'm terrified :frown:

Also would appreciate any tips for getting through thursday because it's gonna be HELL :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OK, you have a few choices (I am not gonna say don't worry etc, if you are that sure you did worse then you thought because I don't want to patranise you - I will say remember when results day comes, any thing you see you will be prepared for and maybe even surprised at...)

1st Choice: Resits, talk to your college and sort them, spend a year going to AS and A2 classes of the classes you didn't do so good in :smile: do all the modules again for resits in January and June (spread them out between the two).

2nd Choice: Phone up Uni, maybe you can convince them it was a slip or get on a slightly lower course.

3rd Choice: You would drop out - Bad idea...

Hope that helps.

Tips for Thursday, on Wednesday night go out with mates and get drunk / have a laugh, which ever you prefer... anything except thinking about results!!!
Reply 2
For some universities, resit candidates are sometimes given higher grades than the norm (not sure about York). As mentioned by Aplin, phone them and see what they say. Afterall, you have nothing to lose.
What course did you apply for?
Reply 3
Hey, im in the same sort of situation...
my firm is Durham to do geography, and i need AAB...i completely messed my exams up, this isnt last minute panicking either, i didnt revise enough and they were AWFUL :frown: :bawling: ...my insurance is Loughborough with BBC, and while i hope i wont get lower than that i really really want to go to Durham and nowhere else, i just love the place...dont really know why ive got an insurance. so my plan is to spend the next year working and retake the modules i need to, reapply and pray that Durham will make me another offer.
Good luck on thurs and with whatever you decide:smile: xxxx
Reply 4
is it possible to just resit for some modules of the subject?
Reply 5
Yep...each module has its own paper(s) so u just apply to sit the papers for the modules that u want...well thats how it is with the boards i did anyway! (AQA and Edexcel) xx
Reply 6
Rach:)
Hey, im in the same sort of situation...
my firm is Durham to do geography, and i need AAB...i completely messed my exams up, this isnt last minute panicking either, i didnt revise enough and they were AWFUL :frown: :bawling: ...my insurance is Loughborough with BBC, and while i hope i wont get lower than that i really really want to go to Durham and nowhere else, i just love the place...dont really know why ive got an insurance. so my plan is to spend the next year working and retake the modules i need to, reapply and pray that Durham will make me another offer.
Good luck on thurs and with whatever you decide:smile: xxxx

Me too :smile: Durham for Geog and need AAB, im in similar position as although most my exams went fairly ok, i majorly mucked up all three Maths papers so will probably get like an E in that! Im sure you will get the grades and fingers crossed Durham are v nice and let everyone in (im praying!!!) :smile:
i think im going to miss my grades by a long way too. Im going to phone up Portsmouth on the day and try and enrol on a course which has lower requirements, but will allow me to transfer back to my original choice (Pharmacy) in the second year, good results permitting.
Reply 8
I think I missed an offer by a lot too, have to see tommorow to see if it's true. I have no insurance choice. This means that I really want to go to my firm choice and not any other university. If they don't accept me, I would persuade or resit some A-levels and re-apply the following year.

Good luck to everyone tommorow.
Well, you could try phoning them anyway after you get your results. I don't know how likely it is that they'll still take you because obviously that will depend on how many others miss the grades and how much by, and they may have already made a decision, but it's worth a try anyway. I guess you just have to go on about how much you love the university, how you know you'd be really happy there, how you think the course is really suited to you and how hard you'd work. If they won't take and neither will your insurance, or you really don't want to go to your insurance or through cleaing, resit to improve your grades and reapply, but remember you'll have to pay top-up fees.
Reply 10
Do not assume that you've ****ed up, but do try to have a backup plan in place. PQ has made a sticked post of what to do after you get your results, which covers almost all scenarios from better than expected to worse than.

I was 100% convinced I had totally ****ed up one of my end of year exams (and I mean totally certain) to the point where I didn't think I would pass the year [need to get 50% or above to pass] and would have to resit. I got a first (equivalent of an A]. So never say never and all that!

I hope things work out for you!

Fxx
Reply 11
kellywood_5
Well, you could try phoning them anyway after you get your results. I don't know how likely it is that they'll still take you because obviously that will depend on how many others miss the grades and how much by, and they may have already made a decision, but it's worth a try anyway. I guess you just have to go on about how much you love the university, how you know you'd be really happy there, how you think the course is really suited to you and how hard you'd work. If they won't take and neither will your insurance, or you really don't want to go to your insurance or through cleaing, resit to improve your grades and reapply, but remember you'll have to pay top-up fees.

Yup. I'm going to take a new A-level instead of resitting my previous A-levels. Yeah, I have to pay the top up fees, at least I can pay it back when I earn a salary of 15K (15,000) or above.

Good luck to you on your AS results Kelly.
trev
Yup. I'm going to take a new A-level instead of resitting my previous A-levels. Yeah, I have to pay the top up fees, at least I can pay it back when I earn a salary of 15K (15,000) or above.

Good luck to you on your AS results Kelly.

THis may also act in your advantage. Top up fees may put people off going to uni.

MB
Reply 13
im also thinking of taking up a new alevel instead of resitting, what do you think my chances are of obtaining a good grade in economics alevel if i were to do it in 1 year?
Reply 14
I am in a very similar position, i think if i am lucky i will get ABBB but i need AABB to get into my course, i am guessing they will not accept me but i know i am just below an A in two of those, Maths i just need to retake C4 and Economics just one of the A2 modules to get good A's..
I have examined my options and i guess taking a gap year out, not going to college, and redoing those two exams in january at my college will be my best bet - obviously reapplying this October to various unis. Hopefully Nottingham will accept me again, my heart is set on Nottingham, with AAAB for next september, but i guess i could settle for a lesser uni.
I wish i had worked harder this year, i am such a lazy bastard when it comes to revision and work, i am capable of so much more.
Reply 15
:hugs: Well you never know, maybe everyone else mucked up as well and found the exams really hard and hence you'll end up with a higher grade than you thought? Is your course in Clearing? (does Durham do clearing?)

I'm hoping I'm as lucky as I was at AS. My exams were ok - although in Chem I got to the point of - not actually knowing the answer in 6 mark questions and therefore very simply recited model answers from past marking schemes that I've memorised :redface: And not sure how well synoptic in Biology went either cus in my past papers I got E's and D's cus I never got what the examiners wanted in the answer...

Hoping for: ABB
Realistically speaking: ABB or ABC
Offer: BBB
Grades asked for in Clearing for my course: BBC
Realistic Disasters: ACC, ACD, ABD

Having seen my course in clearing has calmed me down so much though.
Reply 16
fredstar
I am in a very similar position, i think if i am lucky i will get ABBB but i need AABB to get into my course, i am guessing they will not accept me but i know i am just below an A in two of those, Maths i just need to retake C4 and Economics just one of the A2 modules to get good A's..
I have examined my options and i guess taking a gap year out, not going to college, and redoing those two exams in january at my college will be my best bet - obviously reapplying this October to various unis. Hopefully Nottingham will accept me again, my heart is set on Nottingham, with AAAB for next september, but i guess i could settle for a lesser uni.
I wish i had worked harder this year, i am such a lazy bastard when it comes to revision and work, i am capable of so much more.

Hey they might still accept you, if you only missed marginally. Daniel from the Notts subforum missed his offer by 1 mark (IBs) and just got told yesterday he's been accepted. This is for International Economics.

Have you checked the Clearing list? What course you after? The clearing list for Notts is on the Notts subforum if you check.

Notts' my firm as well. :smile: I know what you mean! - I've got my heart set on Notts too.
Reply 17
irisng
:hugs: Well you never know, maybe everyone else mucked up as well and found the exams really hard and hence you'll end up with a higher grade than you thought? Is your course in Clearing? (does Durham do clearing?)

Durham does clearing: http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/clearing/
Reply 18
No that's Durham's Queen's campus. Although I bet if you phone up geology they'd let you on!
Reply 19
irisng
Hey they might still accept you, if you only missed marginally. Daniel from the Notts subforum missed his offer by 1 mark (IBs) and just got told yesterday he's been accepted. This is for International Economics.

Have you checked the Clearing list? What course you after? The clearing list for Notts is on the Notts subforum if you check.

Notts' my firm as well. :smile: I know what you mean! - I've got my heart set on Notts too.

Yeh i really hope they accept me with ABBB (for Economics), considering also that two of those B's should be high B's. Bah i dunno, this waiting is killing me, i really wanna plan if i am taking a gap year!
After i went to a few of the Open Days i knew i really really really wanted to spend the next 3 years there, i just wouldn't want to go anywhere else!

Latest

Trending

Trending